SASS Wire Forum

Iwo Jima

Subdeacon Joe

My dad was there that day (he is in my profile picture on the left) I asked him if he saw the flag go up and he said "No...I was too busy digging in that d*#M black ash trying not to get shot."

tough generation!

Thanks Joe!

I lost an uncle at Iwo! His ship took a direct hit to the magazine!!

He was my dad's closest brother and his running buddy before they enlisted.

I've been to Arlington and seen the Statue of Iwo Jima. I noticed all 6 have Helmets on. In the Famous Photo you can see 5 helmets and only the Hand of the 6th guy.

In the photos made from the Movie footage, you can see the guy with a soft cover on. He is also the ONLY guy with a soft cover in the Big Group photo, all others

have helmets on or raised in the air. He is clearly seen in the Photo once the Flag is up. WHY? Why is this not done on the Statue? He was there and helped raise the Flag. They must have known who is is.

Jake

I worked with an old West Virginia feller who joined up at age 15 and was at Iwo, Tarawa, Peleliu, Saipan and Okinawa.

It haunted him and he drank some. Only spoke to me about it once or twice. May he rest in peace now.

for more imformation on the flag raising and the men who did it,Read "Flags of our Fathers",By the Son of "Doc" Bradley.Lots of good information there.

John Henry "Jack" "Doc" Bradley

Yep, "Doc." ;)

While the Marines called him "Doc", his name was John Bradley, he was a Pharmacist's Second Class, and received the Navy Cross for his heriousm there. The point I was trying to make was that it was not only Marines in the photo.

Navy Corpsmen assigned to Fleet Marine Forces are not Squids. They are treated as full Marines. They wear Marine utilities with their Crows for rank.

Mess with a Corpsman and a Marine will kick your butt.....

Navy Corpsmen assigned to Fleet Marine Forces are not Squids. They are treated as full Marines. They wear Marine utilities with their Crows for rank.

Mess with a Corpsman and a Marine will kick your butt.....

I served with a few medics in the National Guard who were originally Navy Corpsmen. All were among the best medics I knew.

One in particular spent his time running with the Marines. Always complained about going to the field, but was one of the best field soldiers I've seen. When I mentioned it to him once, his response was "I said I didn't like it, not that I couldn't do it."

Archived