SASS Wire Forum

Pyramid of Cannons after WWI

Subdeacon Joe

It's called war. :( My dad talked about all the jeeps, trucks, etc. that were hauled offshore and dumped in the South Pacific after WWII. For one, they didn't want to flood the civilian market with cheap surplus vehicles, plus (supposedly) it cost more to transport them back to the states than they were worth.

As you said, what a waste.

JHC

One has to wonder if all those WW II vehicles were drained of oil and gas before they were pushed overboard?

And then there were the batteries.. We were not very green at that time. We lacked Al Gore and his internet

technology to guide us.

One has to wonder if all those WW II vehicles were drained of oil and gas before they were pushed overboard?

And then there were the batteries.. We were not very green at that time. We lacked Al Gore and his internet

technology to guide us.

They probably dumped all the unused oil, gas and batteries along with the vehicles.

JHC :angry:

Well, the boat will only hold so many...

WWI was THE artillery war. I have seen numbers of 30,000 pounds of artillery fired for every soldier (of every country) who was wounded, lost or killed. This does not count all of the civilians. The most common estimate that I have seen is 3.3 million soldiers killed plus 9 million injured. This equals nearly 400 million pounds of explosives.

Erich Remarke fought in the war and later wrote 'All Quiet on the Western Front'. He wrote that artillery of that day had a barrel so badly worn after two years of use that the rounds may fall anywhere, including into the firing countries trenches.

My guess is that what appears to be French 75s were smoothbore rubble items.

Why a waste? The French didn't know how to use them. The Germans would have just taken them back 20 years later.

Hey. I resemble that remark. :P

frenchie.jpg

Archived