SASS Wire Forum

Lady B Western hat question for new shooter.

Silver Shadow

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMNSHO, a hat doesn't have to be full coverage. Here's a link showing none other than Dale Evens sporting a saucy little number. With some additions, her entire outfit could qualify for B-Western.

http://www.pettipond.com/laterimages/image_ce/daleevans/index.htm

RR

You are wrong. None of the pictures portray anything close to what is required by the rules in B-Western category.

Morning all,

Thank you for the responses. I'd like to clarify, my wife has no intention of not following all the costume rules to the utmost standard. This question was more for me. She shot the match on Saturday in an age based category because she hadn't finished her costume to her liking. The point being, I observed her through the day and noticed that her hat seemed to be an issue for her, not that she was complaining. I posed the question in hopes that I could suggest to her that it may be appropriate to wear her hat from the string when she wasn't physical shooting a stage (she shoots a '92, no hat... BAD idea :o ) since I had seen it in many B westerns on both men and women.

Personally, I prefer to shoot B-western also, but in the heat of the summer I'm thinking I'll forgo the category in favor of relief. I prefer a black color theme in my costuming and so ... well you can figure it out. Since the ladies have a skirt option, I think she will be fine if she can tolerate the hat in the heat. Obviously she isn't using the "shadow" black theme.

I did suggest to her that, since a costume representing a lead character in a B-western was appropriate for the category, that she could copy Raquel Welch's Hannie Caulder promotional pictures costume(I'll leave it up to those who want to Google it) to deal with the heat. :)

....I should be back on solid foods by the end of the week. :wacko:

Thanks

SS

As much as I love Raquel Welch, her outfit in the promotional pictures for that movie would not meet the requirements to shoot in the B-Western Category.

Well now, iifn someone were to show up looking like that WHO is gonna tell her she can't shoot BW? not me!

pbcc

You are wrong. None of the pictures portray anything close to what is required by the rules in B-Western category.

I realize Roy ain't wearing spurs, but his boots, scarf, and shirt fit the bill. Can't see all his pants, but they look pretty good for BW, too. Not too far off base...

I realize Roy ain't wearing spurs, but his boots, scarf, and shirt fit the bill. Can't see all his pants, but they look pretty good for BW, too. Not too far off base...

The man was talking about DALE! :)

B western dress is not required at the formal dinners nor during side matches. The B western rules are for the main match and awards.

Your answer/post is the exact reason for the confusion that occasionally arises. If the awards are presented at the formal dinner, which is very common, then is "B" Western attire required? Again, I don't think "B" Western shooters are required to wear their "B" Western attire IF the awards are presented at the FORMAL occasion. They are welcome to, but not required to, if I am interpreting the afore mentioned quote from page 15 of the Shooters Handbook.

Seems that whenever a question on "B" western category rules and guidelines comes up, we start interpreting or dictionaring every single word to fit the need or occassion.

Simple words of "wear, worn" are as written, and not needed for interpretation. Spurs are worn, hats are worn and required. Worn, not hanging from neck, elbows or from rigs.

They must be worn on the firing line, and at awards. The few minutes one spends on the firing line is minumun, wear them. What a person does while waiting to shoot, or before come-up for awards is on their own. Leave the hat off, and if needed take the spurs off, but when your on the firing line, be dressed appropiately, same for when receiving awards for "B". If a person is not able to meet the requirement, there are always other categories were one can dress as "B", fancy shirts, rigs, etc. yet not need to meet all the requirements, yet still dress as fancy as they want.

MT

Your answer/post is the exact reason for the confusion that occasionally arises. If the awards are presented at the formal dinner, which is very common, then is "B" Western attire required? Again, I don't think "B" Western shooters are required to wear their "B" Western attire IF the awards are presented at the FORMAL occasion. They are welcome to, but not required to, if I am interpreting the afore mentioned quote from page 15 of the Shooters Handbook.

My wife, the ever loverly Fannie Mostly/Queen of Bling, yes two aliases and two SASS numbers both B Western, says good question, one she has asked for the past 8 years (since b western started). She feels if it's side match awards B western is not required to be in costume as the side matches don't require it. If it's main match awards, B western should be dressed in costume.

Seems that whenever a question on "B" western category rules and guidelines comes up, we start interpreting or dictionaring every single word to fit the need or occassion.

Simple words of "wear, worn" are as written, and not needed for interpretation. Spurs are worn, hats are worn and required. Worn, not hanging from neck, elbows or from rigs.

They must be worn on the firing line, and at awards. The few minutes one spends on the firing line is minumun, wear them. What a person does while waiting to shoot, or before come-up for awards is on their own. Leave the hat off, and if needed take the spurs off, but when your on the firing line, be dressed appropiately, same for when receiving awards for "B". If a person is not able to meet the requirement, there are always other categories were one can dress as "B", fancy shirts, rigs, etc. yet not need to meet all the requirements, yet still dress as fancy as they want.

MT

No where does it say "must be worn on the firing line". It says "must be worn".

My wife, the ever loverly Fannie Mostly/Queen of Bling, yes two aliases and two SASS numbers both B Western, says good question, one she has asked for the past 8 years (since b western started). She feels if it's side match awards B western is not required to be in costume as the side matches don't require it. If it's main match awards, B western should be dressed in costume.

That's the reason I'm inquiring here on this thread. My wife, the lovely Fannie Kicker :wub: also shoots "B" Western at nearly all matches. There has always been confusion regarding the attire required at formal events where main match awards are presented. She loves to wear bling, but she also likes her formal/non "B" Western attire as well. However, if "B" Western attire is indeed required, she wants to be in compliance, and having a definitive answer would go a long way towards future peace of mind and not ruffling anyones feathers.

No where does it say "must be worn on the firing line". It says "must be worn".

Again, this is an interpretation of the rule, instead of reading it as it was meant. That when you shoot, proper equipment for the category must be followed. Otherwise, why not leave all the stuff home and just tell the MD, "I have the stuff required, but didn't want to wear it". You wear and use, when shooting.

What would your interpretation be of the rules, and when it is proper time to follow the guidelines as written? MT

That's the reason I'm inquiring here on this thread. My wife, the lovely Fannie Kicker :wub: also shoots "B" Western at nearly all matches. There has always been confusion regarding the attire required at formal events where main match awards are presented. She loves to wear bling, but she also likes her formal/non "B" Western attire as well. However, if "B" Western attire is indeed required, she wants to be in compliance, and having a definitive answer would go a long way towards future peace of mind and not ruffling anyones feathers.

To me. If they want to dress formal at the banquet/awards I don't see a problem. BUT they should be either or. Not in just regular cowboy gear.

Either full formal or B Western. No in between.

Think they should be for sides also. It is part of the shooting event.

My wife does at sides. And even on the sometimes Friday/Sat night get together if they are doing side matches the night before

the main match awards.

She is starting to get good enough people might look at her and look for something to call. SO. Why take a chance.

I know Ramrod says/thinks it's OK. But I have NEVER heard that from Palewolf.

So not being 100% sure. She is staying in dress.

Here is the section regarding B-Western from page 15 of The Shooters Handbook.

• Pants must be worn with a belt. Suspenders are not allowed. Felt hats only, no straw hats. Hats must be worn.

All shooters must be in costume, and we encourage invited guests and family also to be costumed. Shooters must remain in costume at all match events: dinners, award ceremonies, dances, etcetera. ALL clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how it would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television.

Seems to me that if folks in B-Western movies and/or television wore their hats on their backs dangling from a stampede string then B-Western Competitors should be allowed to wear them the same way. I'm sure there are numerous examples of folks wearing them that way.

Again, this is an interpretation of the rule, instead of reading it as it was meant. That when you shoot, proper equipment for the category must be followed. Otherwise, why not leave all the stuff home and just tell the MD, "I have the stuff required, but didn't want to wear it". You wear and use, when shooting.

What would your interpretation be of the rules, and when it is proper time to follow the guidelines as written? MT

Or like the fellow who doesn't like the heat, taking off his long sleeve shirt after finishing the stage and putting on a short sleeve shirt. Apples and Oranges I know, but the same effect. Once done with the shooting line, rules are gone/relaxed? I think not.

Lifting the hat off the head to allow a breath of cool air, if any is around, is one thing, taking it off/hanging it by the stampede strings is another.

Or like the fellow who doesn't like the heat, taking off his long sleeve shirt after finishing the stage and putting on a short sleeve shirt. Apples and Oranges I know, but the same effect. Once done with the shooting line, rules are gone/relaxed? I think not.

Lifting the hat off the head to allow a breath of cool air, if any is around, is one thing, taking it off/hanging it by the stampede strings is another.

Good response.

Sometimes just common sense on what a rule or requirement means, and suggest. Rather then interpretting a meaning or a word.

Overall, having discussions is a good thing, as to "B" category, it also informs shooters and MD what is required and also the advantage of "B", besides looking "pretty". MT

Hi Again,

I've searched and searched and... as I thought I remembered many cowgirls who wore their hats hanging from their stampede strings. However, what I found instead was them wearing their hats far back on their heads sometimes. If you Google image Dale Evans, you can find many examples.

I only found two images with hats dangling from stampede strings and those were pinup art not movies or real cowgirls.

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS About the following, "Shooters must remain in costume at all match events: dinners, award ceremonies, dances, etcetera." I always thought that side matches were match events and they are not specifically excluded from BW requirements like formal occasions are. :ph34r:

I can't get this forum to properly quote: This is in response to Flying W.

"Lifting the hat off the head to allow a breath of cool air..." Another poster says you can "Take the hat off to fan your face." My question: How long can it be off?

When that question is answered, then tell me how long someone can keep their shotgun belt pulled up while off the firing line. Then tell me if it's okay for people to remove their rig after shooting the last stage. Really? Does anyone really want to take it there?

I wasn't in on the discussion inc which "worn appropriately" was added. I've always heard that it came about as a result of somebody shooting Classic Cowboy and attempting to meet the criteria for worn spurs by hanging them on their elbows. I have no clue if it's true or not, but I think I can safely say that wearing spurs on the elbows is a world away from danling your hat on a stampede string...off the firing line.

We're supposed to look cowboy. If you walk into a restaurant full of non shooters wearing spurs on your elbows, they'd think you're a moron. Walk in with a hat on a stampede string and they'd think you're a cowboy.

Titus, B-Western shooters do not have to wear B-Western costuming to banquets whether the main match awards are presented there or not. Again, I wasn't there for the discussion, but I suspect this was to allow folks to "dress up" even more than they might be as a B-Western shooter or B-Western party animal. :) Regardless of the reason, Fannie can wear her fancy dress and you can wear yours too. :)

"Lifting the hat off the head to allow a breath of cool air..." My question: How long can it be off?

We're supposed to look cowboy. If you walk into a restaurant full of non shooters wearing spurs on your elbows, they'd think you're a moron. Walk in with a hat on a stampede string and they'd think you're a cowboy.

Until your arm gets tired holding hat above head I guess.

Guy walks into restaurant wearing spurs on elbows, is probable following rules posted in doorway, "No wearing of spurs or marring floor allowed".

If he walks in with his hat hanging from a stampede string, probable the fan oir breeze blew it off as he/she walked in.

Kinda funny in what is written and being written, suddenly people will think your a Cowboy if a hat is hanging from a string around your neck.

Seems most people don't use common sense nor judgement when reading the rules, quidelines, and requirements for a category, and "B" seems to get the brunt, and everone wants it their way, instead of the way it was written.

When it came to interpreting "wear" and "worn", and going to dictionary to define those words so they can be applied, is a little ridiculous. I'm sure a child can read the rules and define their meaning better then us adults.

As to when a match is over, I'll remove my "B" outfit, from heavy rig, to my spurs. See no problem with that. MT

I can't get this forum to properly quote: This is in response to Flying W.

"Lifting the hat off the head to allow a breath of cool air..." Another poster says you can "Take the hat off to fan your face." My question: How long can it be off?

When that question is answered, then tell me how long someone can keep their shotgun belt pulled up while off the firing line. Then tell me if it's okay for people to remove their rig after shooting the last stage. Really? Does anyone really want to take it there?

I wasn't in on the discussion inc which "worn appropriately" was added. I've always heard that it came about as a result of somebody shooting Classic Cowboy and attempting to meet the criteria for worn spurs by hanging them on their elbows. I have no clue if it's true or not, but I think I can safely say that wearing spurs on the elbows is a world away from danling your hat on a stampede string...off the firing line.

Titus, B-Western shooters do not have to wear B-Western costuming to banquets whether the main match awards are presented there or not. Again, I wasn't there for the discussion, but I suspect this was to allow folks to "dress up" even more than they might be as a B-Western shooter or B-Western party animal. :) Regardless of the reason, Fannie can wear her fancy dress and you can wear yours too. :)

Well Buck, I was photographed in a corset from Work-N-Ranch last weekend! 'Nuff said. :lol:

Formal events - Usually held indoors. - I can see the removal of spurs around furniture and for dancing. (I usually wear silver tipped boots with silver heel clips). I also wear a fancy Western style Sport coat and an embroidered white shirt with bollo tie and my western cut suit pants with tombstone belt loops and a BIG belt buckle. I wear my white hat of course!

Side matches are not scored by category. If they were then I would say that the dress rules apply.

Hi Again,

I've searched and searched and... as I thought I remembered many cowgirls who wore their hats hanging from their stampede strings. However, what I found instead was them wearing their hats far back on their heads sometimes. If you Google image Dale Evans, you can find many examples.

I only found two images with hats dangling from stampede strings and those were pinup art not movies or real cowgirls.

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS About the following, "Shooters must remain in costume at all match events: dinners, award ceremonies, dances, etcetera." I always thought that side matches were match events and they are not specifically excluded from BW requirements like formal occasions are. :ph34r:

Allie, Gail Davis who played Annie Oakley many times wore hat just by the strings, but the reasoning behind it was that the pigtails she had, were not her own. They were pinned to her hair and wearing the hat, then removing it for the screen as called for in the script, many times they fell off, or the pins got caught in the hat. So to save reshooting a scene, she many times just had the hat hanging by the strings. When she did wear the hat in riding scenes, the pigtails were pinned to the hat.

As to side-matches, most are not categorized as to main event category. MT

Here are some of the hat danglers that stick in my memory and certainly some of why I dared ask.

high-chaparral-2.jpg

images1.jpg

aaad5afa_mo0g8z08qyesye.jpeg

images2.jpg

SS

<snip> I have my wool felt hat on at every shoot, every weekend here in West Texas where the temperatures reach triple digits, and I am no spring chicken.

If you don't want to "B" hot, don't shoot "B" Western!

Lil.

Hats, whether made from felt or straw make a huge difference in exposure related heat and cold issues. Felt or straw make very little REAL difference. Nor does color make as big a difference in actual heat even though we naturally react to darker colors in that way. In test after test (desert/military) a black garment vs. a white garment has more to do with the layer of moisture on the skin than the color of the garment or hat than it does the perception of the wearer. For simplicity sake note that desert nomads are never seen wearing shorts and tank tops.

Once a felt hat has been allowed to become slightly damp it actually cools better than a dryer straw hat and vice versa. The key is in the dampening. This relates to the reason that you are cooler having wet a bandana or wet your hair under the hat. Think of a swamp cooler. Again, nomads have worn cotton undergarments with woolen outer for +5000 years.

That's just my observation after 32+ years of designing fabrics and clothing for cold weather hunting/ warfare.... maybe some anecdotal experts and experience would argue, but then we all get our own opinions not our own facts.

The first piece of hot brass that goes down the back of her shirt (or the front) may convince her right quickly that a brim is a great idea.

Well Buck, I was photographed in a corset from Work-N-Ranch last weekend! 'Nuff said. :lol:

Someone please pass the eye bleach! ;)

Maybe the SASS rule book should just say, "whatever you have seen on TV or can find in any old time photo is OK in any category'?

Is it acceptable for a lady, shooting in B Western, to remove her hat long enough in order to use it as a fan and try to revive a dead horse?

Is it acceptable for a lady, shooting in B Western, to remove her hat long enough in order to use it as a fan and try to revive a dead horse?

Yes, as long as it's a felt hat and she puts it back on once the horse is either back on it's feet or officially pronounced dead by the MD. :P

Archived