SASS Wire Forum

Watervliet Arsenal Museum Machine Shop - An OSHA Nightmare

Subdeacon Joe

Thank you for the clip on the Watervliet Arsenal Museum. I worked at the Aresenal in 1965 until 1966 when my draft numer worked out to be number seven so I went an enlisted in the Air Force. I am going back for a visit to Albany NY in October for a family wedding and will try to take a day and go through the museum. I worked on a hydratel, spelling is off, where I made the first cut on the ring assembly of the 175's which was really a kick to operate. We were allowed to only complete 3/4 of a ring assembly per day and when I did two in one day did I ever get a talking too from my supervisor. I guess I was making the other guys look bad so had to slow down to keep pace with them. My first government job and I did not know how things worked but sure learned quick. Thanks again for the heads up on the museum and I am looking more forward to my visit now. Diamond Curly, AKA: Bill Edick from Gloversville NY

I live 15 minutes from it. A friend of mine's father worked there when I was a kid. We got a few tours of the place. Once saw them forging a cannon barrel. awesome stuff.

I've been lots of machine shop with the belts and pulleys but never got to see them run before, cool.....

I've been lots of machine shop with the belts and pulleys but never got to see them run before, cool.....

Dig back a few pages, I posted a video of a steam powered sawmill. All sorts of belts and pulleys and what not.

I worked at a machine shop years ago that ran a lathe, a surface grinder and a few bench top buffers off the same flat belt system.

The motor turning the belts was huge. Looks a bit scary when you see all those belts turning around you. But you had to wonder at the ingenuity of it all for the time period they came up with the system.

I have worked in Machine Shops just like that. In fact, my high school Machine Shop still had lathes powered by central flat belt pulleys.

Thank you for the clip on the Watervliet Arsenal Museum. I worked at the Aresenal in 1965 until 1966 when my draft numer worked out to be number seven so I went an enlisted in the Air Force. I am going back for a visit to Albany NY in October for a family wedding and will try to take a day and go through the museum. I worked on a hydratel, spelling is off, where I made the first cut on the ring assembly of the 175's which was really a kick to operate. We were allowed to only complete 3/4 of a ring assembly per day and when I did two in one day did I ever get a talking too from my supervisor. I guess I was making the other guys look bad so had to slow down to keep pace with them. My first government job and I did not know how things worked but sure learned quick. Thanks again for the heads up on the museum and I am looking more forward to my visit now. Diamond Curly, AKA: Bill Edick from Gloversville NY

You also would have made the supervisor look bad because the ratio of ring assemblies to other parts would have been off and he would have to fix the division of labor.

Archived