SASS Wire Forum

English....sort of..I think.

Subdeacon Joe

While I was deployed I found myself in a chow line with some Royal Fusiliers. When we spoke, we had a fine conversation, but when they talked among themselves, I could barely understand what they were saying.

"England and America are two countries separated by the same language." George Bernard Shaw

You can throw the rest of the UK into that mix as well.

"While I was deployed I found myself in a chow line with some Royal Fusiliers. When we spoke, we had a fine conversation, but when they talked among themselves, I could barely understand what they were saying."

I never thought Australian accents were very difficult to understand, hearing them in movies and occasionally in person here in the States. However, my wife and I were in a restaurant in Paris sitting next to a table with two Aussie guys, and we could not understand a single word they were saying to each other (the tables were jammed together). When they heard us talking, they noted we were American and began a conversation with us. They were both attorneys. Their English was slightly more understandable talking to us, but most of the time, we were just nodding at various times without actually understanding what they were saying. Understandably, the conversation just kind'a faded away, and we spent the rest of the meal in a kind of embarrassed ignoring of each other.

Ornery Cuss

During a break in a training class in Jamaica I overheard two soldiers speaking with each other.. I asked one of the soldiers what language they were speaking.. When he answered "English", I felt like a fool

www.youtube.com/watch?v=le_uNGdpa4c

It takes a while . .but you do get used to it, and sometimes you can follow along pretty well . .other times there's no help for it . . but I've

had that problem in the deep south and in the northernmost parts of New England as well . . . . I find that after being back here in the UK

now for some 6 months I am getting my ears re-tuned - the dialects are coming through more clearly . . . If I was back up north like last

time I'd probably already have that video sussed . . .

SC

Archived