SASS Wire Forum

That's LOW!

Subdeacon Joe

That pier is higher than it appears from this perspective, but look at his propwash/downwash on the right side of the pier.

Great pass and Pic!

Pullin' a skier? Or just rinsing off the tail feathers.

Knarley

That pier is higher than it appears from this perspective, but look at his propwash/downwash on the right side of the pier.

Great pass and Pic!

Prop wash? Or smoke from a smoke generator? And that pier can't be all that high. I'd bet 60' or 70' tops. Yeah, crop dusters fly lower, but they're all crazy.

I'd suspect 70', and you are right about the smoke, but I think some may be caused by his pull up.

As one who has done a little of this (in jets with no smoke) and witnessed a lot of it, the pier is a great reference for the pilot, and he would have done his homework. When you do a quick 4-6G pull up at 50' or less (just as you approach the pier close aboard), you get some aero thrust/wash effects from the water surface.

I have seen and done the rooster tail in just this situation - of course it was in jets, and a bit farther out from the spectators. Carrier flight deck was about 60' and provided the same type reference cues which can be difficult over water alone.

Concur on the crop dusters!

I have a photo that I took of a British jet kind of buzzing the aircraft carrier I was stationed on. He was below flight deck level and moving. I was up on the 09 level with my camera because we were in supposedly one of the largest armadas since WW2. I saw two jets tracking in from off our port side. I just had time to set the camera to 1/1000 shutter and catch a blur. From my vantage point it looked like you could FOD it out if you had a handfull of BBs. This was in the late 70s and they were flying off the HMS Ark Royal.

I will also agree about the crop dusters. When I was stationed in Idaho I was driving just West of Idaho Falls and saw a crop duster flying under power lines. At first I didn't believe what I saw then I stopped and watched him make another pass. The next day in a nearby field I went to look over the wreck of a red biplane that didn't make it under the wire. These power poles were not the high ones just the ordinary ones you see everywhere. Just to say a semi truck and the plane would not be able to be in the same place.

Dustin

Archived