SASS Wire Forum

SKB/Ithica thin wall choke tubes ?

Litl Red

Has anyone had Briley thin wall chokes installed in their Ithaca/SKB double barrel?

I've got an Ithaca 20ga that would benefit greatly from just such a thing.

Got the name of a good smithy that might do the job?

Briley will of course install Briley tubes. Be ready with a good roll of bills in your pocket. They ARE top notch, though.

It will be tough doing choke tubes in SKB barrels, as thin as they are, especially if they have been lopped shorter than factory. Make sure you use a good, experienced craftsman.

Good luck, GJ

Many SKBs have barrels that are to thin for chokes, especially if you have a couple inches cut off the original lenght. I have a 26 inch barrel 100 with chokes. I have an SKB model 240 cut to 22 inches with chokes. That 240 barrel was a bit thicker. Both guns have the thin wall choke tubes from Brownells. Johnny Meadows did the 240 most recently.

Thanks guys

I got emails in to Ithaca, Briley, and Mr Meadows.

Hope at least one of them wants the business.

Umm, you won't find that Ithaca (the company that now holds that name) will be willing to help you. They only make and repair recent Model 37 pumps. They bought what was about the 5th "Ithaca holding company" out a few years ago, and they have none of the parts or expertise to work on doubles.

Ithaca had a retired employee/gunsmith who was working old Ithaca doubles, but he mainly worked American made doubles (like the NID and Lefevre etc) rather than the Japanese doubles. I'll try to find his contact info when I get home.

Good luck, GJ

Umm, you won't find that Ithaca (the company that now holds that name) will be willing to help you. They only make and repair recent Model 37 pumps. They bought what was about the 5th "Ithaca holding company" out a few years ago, and they have none of the parts or expertise to work on doubles.

Ithaca had a retired employee/gunsmith who was working old Ithaca doubles, but he mainly worked American made doubles (like the NID and Lefevre etc) rather than the Japanese doubles. I'll try to find his contact info when I get home.

Good luck, GJ

The website for Ithaca points directly at Diamond Gunsmithing, owned by the former head gunsmith, Les Hovencamp. I think I've got an email in to him as we speak. His website has special handling of messages to it. It even acknowledges receipt. Only problem: the acknowledgement shows blanks for my 'topic' and 'message'. I know I typed in both. chuckle...... solving odd problems never goes easily does it.

I agree with C Junky that they are not needed in our game but with that said, I have had numerous I/SKB shotguns done by Briley ( being dealer helped ). I had cokes installed once, maybe twice, whether they could install cokes strickly came down to thickness of barrel left after the cut.

I feel that would be Johnny's piority also......and I suspect he would do a fine job if "enough meat" is on the barrel.

I agree with C Junky that they are not needed in our game but with that said, I have had numerous I/SKB shotguns done by Briley ( being dealer helped ). I had cokes installed once, maybe twice, whether they could install cokes strickly came down to thickness of barrel left after the cut.

I feel that would be Johnny's piority also......and I suspect he would do a fine job if "enough meat" is on the barrel.

Thanks for the 'insider info'.

I'm waiting for Briley to respond to the email. Their auto-response says they'll get back to me within 2-5 days.

My gun happens to be a 20ga. and apparently they are more of a problem. I've only got dial calipers so the accuracy leaves something to be desired but the least measurement seems to be .032"

Back when I was last active, some matches had shotgun targets that weren't close enough to fall from just the blast. I patterned it back then after shots that made me wonder if I was shooting blanks. Without choked barrels the little cutie really doesn't come close to doing "patterns" at all. It probably would get enough pellets on target at the match I saw last weekend but then the original length tubes would have come close to pushing those irons over with the muzzles. Can't bet on that being the case every match. And I'd like to do some field shooting too. But then we don't always get what we want.

I had a set of Trulock thin wall chokes installed by R&D Custom Barrel Works. They have a very complete and informative website,including minimum thickness measurements. I thought they were very reasonable and surprisingly fast. The website is www.americhoke.com

Last time I checked Johnny Meadows installs choke tubes in a double for about $250-300 including chokes if barrels are thick enough.

You're spot on.

His response yesterday was appreciated but said that:

"Briley is one of the only places that can put chokes in an SKB. They

work very well.

I install them in 12ga, but can only do it in one of four due to barrel

thickness."

I had a set of Trulock thin wall chokes installed by R&D Custom Barrel Works. They have a very complete and informative website,including minimum thickness measurements. I thought they were very reasonable and surprisingly fast. The website is www.americhoke.com

Thanks, I'll give them a try.

.... The R&D website provided good info. They list the minimum O.D. for their installations. Looks like my barrels are about .020" too small.

I've got an Ithaca 20ga that would benefit greatly from just such a thing.

Just send the barrel to Briley and let them install long choke tubes. Yes, Ithaca barrels are thin wall. Years ago, sent my Model 37 duck gun to Briley and have never had to look back

I'd try out different wad types and shot loads before I messed with choke tubes in these thin barrels.

That's kinda' where I was going.....every shotgun I have ever used had its first date with a hacksaw......lol. I'm NOT trying to talk you out of it and I'm sure it would be more "versatile" and useful outside a CAS stage but I'm just looking at it with tight wad glasses I guess.

I have 3 SKB’s, 2 97’s and 2 Mod 12’s cut to 18.25 inches and they knock down everything I have seen with a 1OZ load. Again I'm only trying to help so please don't take this the wrong way and I admit chokes are certainly better……just expensive and not necessary IMO. Good luck either way.

What length are the barrels?

Online go to Brownell's, go to chokes, look at whats there, get a bit of a education. You will find a few different chockes for thin walls.

People mean well.but not all know a little about chockes.

One question to you was how long are the barrels and what do you plan using the sgun for. For cowboy shooting even 19" is fine for 98.65 % shots.

Follow me, depending on thickness of the wall of the tube, it,the wall when tapped, threads made leaving a certain amount of wall solid so it doesnt blow out, the threads of choke tube may not be deep enough so the tube fits flush with the inside wall when seated.

I have a 12 G Win 97 like that, has Colonial thin wall choke tubes, 21 or 22" barrel. I am carefull, does not sit flush, I remove and clean after each shoot. I never use hot ammo, only Feathers. YES, it does fill up if I dont remove tube. Not worth it if you dont need it.

Archived