SASS Wire Forum

A theoretical "You make the call"

Hollifer A. Dollar

This one came up in an RO1/RO2 class yesterday in a discussion about holstering a revolver after shooting only 4 rounds. We couldn't come to a consensus on the call.

Scenario states "engage 4 pistol targets in a continuous Nevada sweep". Shooter draws first revolver, shoots 1-2-3-4, holsters, quickly draws & cocks 2nd revolver, then realizes he left a live one in the first gun (or heard the calls of "1 more!"). He shoots 3-2-1-2-3 with the 2nd revolver, holsters, draws the first revolver again, shoots target 4. No misses & the continuous sweep was shot in correct order.

What's the call? I said clean.

Holler

The RO instructor could not figure this one out?

If the first one was holstered before he pulled the 2nd.

And did not have two loaded guns out at the same time.

Then no call.

I'm with the no call crowd as well. In this case it was a 10 shot pistol string and he didn't break any rules. I would think if you wanted the practice you could fire one pistol, holster fire the next holster etc......for the whole 10 rounds. That would really tweak the RO & spotters.......lol

Shooter COULD shoot 1, holster. Shoot 2, holster. Shoot 1, holster. Shoot 2, holster. repeat 'til done....and the sun goes down.

Happened to a shooter on Saturdays match also. TO yelled one more as he holstered, shooter didn't hear, already drew and cocked his second pistol, he hesitated, and TO says "shoot". Shooter shot his second pistol, then Shooter holstered and drew pistol with unfired cartridge and continued the Nevada sweep. No Call. MT

I did this at EOT a few years ago.

Shot 4 with my left hand. Then pulled and was shooting the right gun. (Double Duelist)

They was hollering one more. Without thinking. (shot GFER a lot) I pulled the left gun

and shot it while shooting the right hand gun also.

Yep. Two loaded guns out at the same time. Got me a P. WOW. I felt stupid.

and knew it the instant I did it.

But that is not the same as the OP.

OP is still a No Call.

I'm with the no call crowd as well. In this case it was a 10 shot pistol string and he didn't break any rules. I would think if you wanted the practice you could fire one pistol, holster fire the next holster etc......for the whole 10 rounds. That would really tweak the RO & spotters.......lol

When teaching RO Classes, I use that very example of what could be done. The point is to teach someone who might be the TO that they can indeed help a shooter by insuring that they continue shooting the targets in proper order.

Props to the shooter in the OP for keeping his head on straight.

This one came up in an RO1/RO2 class yesterday in a discussion about holstering a revolver after shooting only 4 rounds. We couldn't come to a consensus on the call.

Scenario states "engage 4 pistol targets in a continuous Nevada sweep". Shooter draws first revolver, shoots 1-2-3-4, holsters, quickly draws & cocks 2nd revolver, then realizes he left a live one in the first gun (or heard the calls of "1 more!"). He shoots 3-2-1-2-3 with the 2nd revolver, holsters, draws the first revolver again, shoots target 4. No misses & the continuous sweep was shot in correct order.

What's the call? I said clean.

Holler

If you couild not come to a consensus, then the students really really needed the classes. I am amazed the instructor could not quickly set everyone straight??

Shooter COULD shoot 1, holster. Shoot 2, holster. Shoot 1, holster. Shoot 2, holster. repeat 'til done....and the sun goes down.

I was gonna call you on this, but turns out I was wrong. I knew there was something in the rules about holstering with the intent to re-engage the pistol. No call for inadvertantly, but you can't do it intentionally. In looking it up it is only the lowly GF style that is not to be trusted to reholster a hot gun. Anyone else can do just as you said. But them I guess if someone shooting gunfighter shot it double duelist they would not be shooting GF style so could engage in the manner that you stated. But they couldn't draw both, fire one from each, reholster, draw again, etc.

In the words of that great sage Phantom, OY!

If you couild not come to a consensus, then the students really really needed the classes. I am amazed the instructor could not quickly set everyone straight??

Instructor said that he thought it should be called clean, but didn't want to say one way or the other without being certain.

The debate rose out of a discussion about shooting 4 & holstering. Instructor asked what was the call (unfired round, 1 miss) so the next question was if the shooter could draw again & shoot the 5th round (yes without penalty, unless he had moved on to another gun). Some thought drawing the 2nd revolver was like moving on to rifle or shotgun.

Holler

Hi Folks,

Of course I agree, this was a no call.

The best way to handle this would be for the TO to remain quiet until the second pistol was shot dry, then yell draw the other pistol and engage target such and such (meaning the correct target in the sequence).

I shot four once, holstered, :blush: and the yelling began, :( which got me confused as I didn't understand what they were saying. Then, after pistol two was dry, they told me to draw pistol one and engage any target. All of the counters and TO thought it was a SDQ to leave a round in the revolver. This was at an annual match too. I just took the P and kept quiet. After the match, emailed the book section that says it is just a miss to leave an unfired round in the gun. <_<

Regards,

Allie Mo

in an alaska summer, thats a very long time

I have shot cas up there......LOL....LOL

great place to travel shoot

I was gonna call you on this, but turns out I was wrong. I knew there was something in the rules about holstering with the intent to re-engage the pistol. No call for inadvertantly, but you can't do it intentionally. In looking it up it is only the lowly GF style that is not to be trusted to reholster a hot gun. Anyone else can do just as you said. But them I guess if someone shooting gunfighter shot it double duelist they would not be shooting GF style so could engage in the manner that you stated. But they couldn't draw both, fire one from each, reholster, draw again, etc.

What BK said, and you could do it intentionally if you want to. We have one shooter that does this for fun from time to time when he has a train wreck. Inadvertantly applies to the scoring of a miss for unfired rounds if nothing is done. A pistol string is defined as 10 shots if that's the round count, matters not how you do it as long as you comply with your category. Good Luck :)

10. Inadvertently leaving unfired rounds in a revolver is a miss

A shooting string is defined as shots from one type of firearm

7. Revolvers are returned to leather after the shooting string.

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Goody

I think this is what you were thinking of

ROI Pg 17

• While the above restrictions apply, there are additional considerations for the Gunfighter. When shooting "Gunfighter Style," a gunfighter may not holster revolvers with the intent to engage another revolver sequence.

This only applies to shooting Gunfighter style.

If you are not shooting gunfighter style, you can put a loaded revolver in your holster at any time as long as there is no round under the hammer or other prohibitions. This means accidentally or intentionally.

Archived