SASS Wire Forum

Problem with my 97 question

Howdy Pards. I seem to be having a problem with my back up Winnie 97. Once in a while when the gun is fired, the action locks up and wont alow me to shuck the fired shell. Tugging on the slide back and forth a bit will finaly get it to open. It does it maybe 5 times out of 25 but its not a reliable shotgun for competition if its going to do this obviously. Im capable of tearing these things down and doing minor work on them but I dont know were to look to find this problem. P.S its a series "E" take down that looks like it wasnt used much. First time used in C.A.S. Thanks in advance...

Next time this happens.

Push the slide release button and see if it cycles.

If it cycles, then you know where to look for the problem.

ALSO, when you fire the SG, be pushing forward on the slide.

Check to be sure ALL the screws are tight.

Good luck,

LG

Lately I have seen this happen because the shell base expands and locks up in the chamber. Examine a shell base after you have this problem and see if that is the problem. If it won't cycle after the release button is pushed this could be the problem.

Lafitte

Lately I have seen this happen because the shell base expands and locks up in the chamber. Examine a shell base after you have this problem and see if that is the problem. If it won't cycle after the release button is pushed this could be the problem.

Lafitte

This could be the problem if the chamber and chamber ring are not aligned, this happens when the takedown joint is loose. When this happens it is most likely to be every shot not one in five if the ammo is all the same.

With the action open use your little finger to reach in and feel the chamber to ring joint, reach in and pull back, top, bottom, and each side, if it is out of alignment you can feel it.

I have fixed some by noteing where the shell will catch and taking off the front end and using a three cornered scraper to take down the high side. This is done after the front end is tight, scrape a little and check by putting the gun back together and doing the finger feel again, repeat untill there is no edge to catch.

Never shoot a 97 with the barrel to receiver joint loose, it will get out of alignment.

Have had several older shotguns, including a 97, that still had a very short forcing cone (as was the custom for paper shells). That cone would sometimes catch hold of the fired shell mouth and make it very hard to eject. Reaming the forcing cone to a longer, gentler, more modern taper cured the guns that gave me such problems.

Good luck, GJ

You know I never thought about trying the slide release when it jammed up. Next time I shoot it, I will pay more close attention. As for the barrel to frame fit. It is tight like new. I make sure of it before I buy any 97 take downs. Still has plenty of adjustment to go also. As for the forcing cone goes, its already been lenghthened and polished. When it locks up, it just feels to me its in the action and not the chamber. Next time shooting it will be on the trap range at the Oregon State Match coming up next weekend were I wont run it for speed. Thanks guys!

More often than not, this kind of problem is caused by the action slide lock mechanism........Almost impossible to diagnose without seeing it, but the next time it does it, turn it over and look at the little slot in the bottom of the carrier and see if the slide lock is still engaged. If the slide lock button won't disengage the lock, use a thin knife point or screwdriver to 'pop' it back in the carrier slot. Could be more than a few things that would cause the lock to not disengage, but a good place to start would be to take the carrier apart and look.

Mink....................

Zero problems over shooting my 97 a little...and using "Cheapo" hulls.

Me too Phantom. Got the same results using cheap Federal value pack shotshells from Wallymart in my other two 97s. No problems what so ever. Havent tried them in the troubled 97. Im just reloading good quality hulls now...

Southpaw,

I have a Norinco 97 and have this same problem from time to time. Mine is not a take down model so this may not be the same problem. What I have found is the hammer spring screw has a tendency to loosen up. When you fire it, the hammer obviously moves forward and you get a nice boom, the problem is the hammer then bounces back just a bit and locks up the action. If you press the hammer forward slightly it will free up the action and you can eject the spent shell.

When looking inside the open action, you can see the hammer spring screw. Using a straight bit screwdriver, give it a 1/4 to half turn and I would bet your problems will be gone. I have a relatively light hammer spring setting and about every third match I have to tighten the screw a tad. Never had any more problems after that. I adjust it so that after making sure the chamber is EMPTY, pull the trigger while slowly letting the hammer fall. Check to see that the hammer does not have any play that allows it to move back. If you have play in it, adjust the spring screw until you have removed any play and you will be good to go.

Doesn't matter what hulls i feed it, long as they are full of Goex :)

Hope this helps,

TRM

Me too Phantom. Got the same results using cheap Federal value pack shotshells from Wallymart in my other two 97s. No problems what so ever. Havent tried them in the troubled 97. Im just reloading good quality hulls now...

Until recently I have not had any problem with the Federal value pack shells BUT, in the last batch that I bought every now and then one will stick in the chamber. Examination of the empty shell shows that hot gases have penetrated down beside the base wad and caused a bulge. Only happened once last weekend.

Lafitte

I've seen this problem with takedown '97's where the forcing cone was reamed and polished with the barrel removed from the receiver. The ring is left in the receiver and not matched to the newly reamed barrel. Someone previously noted that the ring in the receiver may not match the barrel and need to be "cleaned up" so that there aren't any spots where a fired shell will hang up.

Since you said that the forcing cone had been reamed and polished, checking the ring-barrel matchup may answer the question.

Had a '97 made early in 1956, a nearly new shotgun. Because it was real tight, I never shot it much and used it as a backup. So I had it slicked up. But two problems appeared which I hadn't experienced before. I can't say that it was because of the action job since I rarely shot it. And they only appeared once or twice each a match.

The action would lock up as in Southpaw Gringo's original post. Totally locked, even the action release button wouldn't open it. You could push on the carrier to no avail. The second problem is the shell would hang up in the magazine. ( Yes, this is a Wild Bunch shooter posting on your wire.)

Took time this afternoon to look hard at the '97 and compare it to my standby '97. I discovered my two problems are related. Using dummy rounds here is what I observed. Cycling the dummies without recoil it will lock up nearly every time. When the action is opened the shell is released by the right cartridge stop and held by the left cartridge stop. The passing carrier doesn't release it from the left stop. When the action is closed the shell remains in that position (held by left stop only, with shell rim depressing the right stop). The hammer can be dropped but the action is locked; won't open, it is locked up. If I push the shell in the magazine forward so that it is held by the right cartridge stop, the action will open.

There are times that the shell will hang on the left stop and it doesn't lock up the action. But when the action is locked up, pushing the shell in the magazine forward always frees the action.

On the '97 that works, the two cartridge stops hold the shell equally. On the one the one locking up the shell in the magazine touches the right stop first. Once past the right stop it contacts the left stop. When comparing the two guns the right stop looks longer than the one on the '97 that works.

So what am I dealing with?

Sell it and get a Model 12?

Archived