SASS Wire Forum

Nullification: Jefferson and Hamilton Supported It and So Do I

Sadly and in the end game, I believe this is what it's most likely going to take in order to awaken those in Washington as to the level of our resolve and I've so stated in multiple columns I've written.

However, to be effective, nullification will require the combined and coordinated effort of many. This too I've so stated in my column and I'm still beating that drum at the national level with the major gun organizations at every opportunity--the whole is much greater than the sum of the individual parts.

We the People dare not continue to acquiesce or surrender to those who arrogantly ignore the Constitution with impunity else we have tacitly agreed to surrender the country.

Nullification Movement Grows

Guest dirty dan dawkins

What are your thoughts on Constitutional conventions? I know this can be a very general and broad topic overlaps many other concerns.

No on constitutional conventions.

Given the current crop of politicians, we would most certainly lose what we have and come out far worse regarding individual freedom. They don't respect freedom now, just consider what they would/ could do given a blank sheet...and don't think for a minute they wouldn't have a blank sheet.

NO constitutional convention. If we were to hold one, it would not produce anything about how our federal government is constituted, but rather be a 10,000 page or more convoluted tome of laws, regulations, and restrictions on everything under the sun, and spelling out all the ways the government "empowers" us, and limiting our rights and freedoms.

State nullification of federal law is a waste of time because it has absolutely zero chance of surviving a legal challenge. Why expend our energy on something that will do us no good and makes us look like we are too stupid to understand the law?

G I Tarpicker;

Article V of the Constitution lays out the amendment and conventiion process:

"The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate."

Thank you, Colonel. It would seem, at least at present, that it would be difficult at best to call for either Constitutional Amendments or going so far as a Constitutional Convention. Still, we must be on our guard, I believe. Keep your powder dry and an eye on your back trail, sir. -- GIT

Thank you, Colonel. It would seem, at least at present, that it would be difficult at best to call for either Constitutional Amendments or going so far as a Constitutional Convention. Still, we must be on our guard, I believe. Keep your powder dry and an eye on your back trail, sir. -- GIT

Yep, the knew what the were doing. Make it hard to change things. They tried to make it hard for the government to do things. Two houses of Congress, one whose members were selected by direct election by the people and one whose members were selected by the legislatures of the several states - a built in potential conflict, then having to get legislation past the executive branch, and the judicial branch watching over the shoulders of both.

Seems to me that if nullification ever became fact, the patchwork of gun laws from state to state would be even worse than it is now.

Sadly and in the end game, I believe this is what it's most likely going to take in order to awaken those in Washington as to the level of our resolve and I've so stated in multiple columns I've written.

However, to be effective, nullification will require the combined and coordinated effort of many. This too I've so stated in my column and I'm still beating that drum at the national level with the major gun organizations at every opportunity--the whole is much greater than the sum of the individual parts.

We the People dare not continue to acquiesce or surrender to those who arrogantly ignore the Constitution with impunity else we have tacitly agreed to surrender the country.

Nullification Movement Grows

Yup - thanks for the info Colonel.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Yep, the knew what the were doing. Make it hard to change things. They tried to make it hard for the government to do things. Two houses of Congress, one whose members were selected by direct election by the people and one whose members were selected by the legislatures of the several states - a built in potential conflict, then having to get legislation past the executive branch, and the judicial branch watching over the shoulders of both.

But some days, I just see it getting easier.

I have a bad feeling one or more of the following will happen in the next several years:

1-Dems win the House in the 2014

2-president gets SCOTUS appointee

3-some sort of amnesty passes that extends all sorts of benefits and privileges to X million people

#3 will make #1 inevitable and permanent

#3 will make #1 inevitable and permanent

The part that astounds me is how conservatives are doing everything they can to make this come true. Like it or not, the predominant second-language in the US is Spanish, even among just native-born Americans, and they feel kinship with other Hispanics. That's a pretty big voting bloc that conservatives are consciously driving into the liberal camp while simultaneously denying that they're doing it. You might as well face it: you're not going to keep them out, they're already here, and they're going to be legal and voting within five to 10 years. Which party do you want them voting for?

• 2 weeks later...

Constitutional convention? Hooboy.....talk about four wolves and a sheep voting on dinner.....

When my great grandpa and grandma got off the boat at Ellis Island a hundred years ago (Blasted Irish) I bet people said the same thing about them.

Not all immigrants are illegal. Not all are democrats.

Nullification sounds just peachy; people have been preaching jury nullification for years, 'they' won't allow it. They won't go for this either. However.....

I often wonder how many people circa 1776 were like Mel Gibson's character in The Patriot. Was that the 80% or the 20.....

Today of course that's 20 or maybe even less. The mood I get from my 'peeps', those of like mind I hang with, we all think like the Colonel. Amongst the masses, the mood does seem to be going towards disgusted with current events. It was a very interesting article but...we got to stick together. That there won't work if you happen to be the lone ranger.

Archived