SASS Wire Forum

Fire season..

Got back to the Land Of Enchantment week before last, and the first thing I noticed was how dry it is, dang could we use some rain! Got unpacked, got my room into some semblance of order, and begin to try and put a routine together..

Yesterday morning the I saw the smoke from the fire over near Pecos, and thought "Well, it's started." then on the way home I stopped off in Los Alamos to get gas and the guy behind the counter asked "Did you hear about the evacuations up at La Cueva?

La Cueva? That's REALLY close to where I'm staying! :unsure:

Sooo, on the way up the mountain from L.A. I can see the smoke, I'm driving like a demon, and passing the slowpokes so I can get home and get what I can out before the kaka hits the fan..Re-packed everything, and now we're on standby waiting to see how things will go..We look to be in good shape unless the wind shifts..Right now the fire's only about four miles away..

We're in much better shape though than some of the other folks nearby who are on mandatory evac..And MUCH better off than those poor folks in Oklahoma.. My thoughts and prayers are with them..

Also to those brave pilots who flew yesterday in spite of the winds, those guys are the best..God bless them!

I love it out here, but North Carolina's looking mighty green right now..

UPDATE: The fire's flanked us to the right, so we unloaded yesterday..And it looks some of the folks who were evacuated will get to return to their homes..Thanks to the firefighters and pilots, can't say enough good things about those guys!

Anyhoo, signing off-Y'all take care..

Archived