SASS Wire Forum

Sights for Uberti 1873 Winchester

Ivery Keys #11974

I searched this topic and could not find any discussion about replacing the sights on a Uberti 1873 Winchester. The rear buckhorn I can live with, but the front post is awful. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Ivery

Grabber front sight. I like the 0.130 brass bead. You can get them from Happy Trails at the Smith Shop

http://www.thesmithshop.com/grabber.html

and a few other supply shops, too.

Good luck, GJ

Slick McClade is making some sights which install over the origional sight. There are 2 or 3 sizes I like the middle size one. You do not have to remove the origional sight which can be a problem.

McKenzie

Slick McClade is making some sights which install over the origional sight. There are 2 or 3 sizes I like the middle size one. You do not have to remove the origional sight which can be a problem.

McKenzie

Ummm, those would be for revolvers. OP is asking about a rifle, I'm pretty sure. ;)

Ummm, those would be for revolvers. OP is asking about a rifle, I'm pretty sure. ;)

Actually Slick makes his 'Sure Hit' sights for both revolvers and rifles. Both slip over the original sight, though in the case of the rifle you'll need to take the bead off and leave just the post.

http://www.slickmagicguns.com/SureHitSights.html

I've got a set for the revolvers and two for the rifles, though I haven't put any of them on yet. He ships fast too.

Actually Slick makes his 'Sure Hit' sights for both revolvers and rifles.

Well, howdy, I had not seen those yet. Kinda "slick", aren't they? :P

Good luck, GJ

Ditto the grabber, Long Hunter has them too. Grind the rear sight down until it is flat across the top with just a notch.

I have the grabber installed on my match rifles, and love them. What I have never done is grind down the rear sight as described. I have a hard time understanding how that makes for faster target acquisition. What is the advantage?

I like a large white bead better than a brass bead. I ordered my first one (made by XS Sights) from Longhunter but the second time around I found that product had been discontinued by XS. I got one from Ottway Smith in Tennessee.

The reason to grind the "ears" off the semibuckhorn stock rear sight is because the ears block your view of the next target.

Ditto the grabber, Long Hunter has them too. Grind the rear sight down until it is flat across the top with just a notch.

Ditto again, Grabber .130, flatop rear with a V. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

The reason to grind the "ears" off the semibuckhorn stock rear sight is because the ears block your view of the next target.

Thanks. I learned something.

Howdy

The Grabber is just a little bit too big for my taste. I have a Marbles Contour front sight on mine. The glow in the dark plastic ones are not SASS legal, but the white and brass ones are. I went with a .093 brass bead. I double dog guarantee you that I have the worst eyesight on any posse I have ever been on, but I can pick up the .093 brass bead just fine.

http://www.marblearms.com/frontSights.html

Grabber sights from Longhunter.

Love 'em!

Archived