SASS Wire Forum

value of NIB Colt SAA

blue and case color, 45LC, 5 1/2 inch barrel. would black powder frame verses post frame matter in price?

Yep

Far less BP frames being made relative to post war frames, almost exclusively now through custom shop orders

'Plain Jane' Blue/cch Colt 3rd gens (later and current 3rd gens particularly, after serial #S34393A, are being traded now for close to $1800 and up)

BP frame would easily fetch close to $2k these days , NIB

Add Nickel, hard chrome, or all blue and custom grips, custom barrel lengths, etc and the price soars.

Buy those 3rd gens now...they will only go up dramatically in the future as no new ones are being made except for custom shop orders, and

supplies of new 3rds have essentially dried up due to no new Colts to replace the ones sold on the market

I am not into Colts but thought I'd pass this along. I can send contact info to interested parties.

I found 4 NIB box at local store. I couldn't tell you what frame they are, I just know they are recent production according to clerk. How recent????

Sherriffs model Blued/CCH 3 1/2" 45 colt $1300

5 1/2 Blued/CCH 45 colt $1400

5 1/2 Nickel/ Hard Chrome (I don't know difference) 45colt $1600

7 1/2 Nickel/Hard Chrome (Again I don't know difference) 45 colt $1600

All had the hard rubber grips. Excuse my memory, I may have some of the barrel lengths mistaken. I am for certain on sherrifs model and the 7 1/2 nickel barrel lengths

I am not into Colts but thought I'd pass this along. I can send contact info to interested parties.

I found 4 NIB box at local store. I couldn't tell you what frame they are, I just know they are recent production according to clerk. How recent????

All had the hard rubber grips. Excuse my memory, I may have some of the barrel lengths mistaken. I am for certain on sherrifs model and the 7 1/2 nickel barrel lengths

Of course there are and will be those Colts that are still in inventory in some gun shops around the country( the Colt SAA doesn't mean the same thing it means to a cowboy shooter or collector to the majority of the shooting world)

The SAA accounts for a very small percentage of overall gun sales

My price projections are based on the Industry as a whole , not the isolated individual gun shop with a few Colts on display

Believe me, if you can get these prices you quoted, buy them all!

Better than the stock market as an investment

I've been keeping my eye out for a Colt in .44-40 and the prices are anywhere from $1600.00 to $2500.00 for NIB. There are several slightly used, (in fact from some pards on this wire), for $1400.00+. I've decided NOT to buy one. I love Colts but that's just a little too rich for my blood. I have one Colt in .44-40 that is used, some wear no box, no papers etc. I enjoy shooting it as a back-up once in awhile.

Rye ;)

Asking and getting aren't necessarily the same thing. I've sold over a dozen the past year and didn't get more than $1,200.00 for any of them. Maybe with the panic buying the past few months prices have gone up.

Asking and getting aren't necessarily the same thing. I've sold over a dozen the past year and didn't get more than $1,200.00 for any of them. Maybe with the panic buying the past few months prices have gone up.

They have

Along with the general knowledge now that Colt hasn't produced a SAA for retail sales through distributors/retailers in nearly 3 years.

Take a look at Gunbroker..at one time not so long ago they had over 64 pages of Colt SAA's for sale

They have about 12 pages now, mostly 1st gens, commemoratives and 2nd gens, parts and holsters. Very few 3rd gens NIB if any!

I predict that the average price of a new 3rd gen will easily approach $2000 in the very near future unless Colt all of a sudden starts producing a ton of

SAA's, which they aren't going to do at this time. Particularly calibers other than 45 and 357 mag, which they have dropped anyway from regular production and

theoretically must be ordered through the custom shop as a special order.

You will not see 44-40,38-40, 38 spl,32 WCF, 44 spl, etc as regular production ever again, In fact, you may not see 45's and 357's as regular production ever again and certainly not for the foreseeable future.

If they make a move form Hartford, then they may ramp up production of SAA's again, but that's way in the future.

All Colt handgun prices have moved way north..Price a Python, or any of the 'Snakes'(asking prices are through the roof....and Yes, Larsen, sellers are getting these exhorbitant prices for Colt handguns.... even 1911 prices are rising steadily, as Colt has suspended commercial production of 1911's and is not taking orders at the present time....again, mainly due to their commitment to fill

a large Marine contract for 1911's.

Please Note: The above comments are solely my personal take on the present state of Colt SAA's

My comments are not based on any specific or direct information from any employee or spokesperson at Colt's

Funny thing when I sold a pair of 44-40's 2 months ago and mentioned the lack of available Colt SAA's, and that 44-40's might never be made again, I had a number of folks telling me I didn't know what I was talking about!?

I have a single SAA in 357 on GunsAmerica and a consecutive pair of 38's ......same site ......with nary a nibble?

Funny thing when I sold a pair of 44-40's 2 months ago and mentioned the lack of available Colt SAA's, and that 44-40's might never be made again, I had a number of folks telling me I didn't know what I was talking about!?

I have a single SAA in 357 on GunsAmerica and a consecutive pair of 38's ......same site ......with nary a nibble?

Your problem is GunsAmerica (highly disregarded!)

Put them up for auction on Gunbroker and you will have a much better response

All I can say is I love my Colts. When it comes to Colts Sixgun Shorty is The Man, plain and simple, and you can take his word to the bank.

Did I say that I love my Colts? Guess I did...

Have a good-un Pards,

Roy

Skorty will take your advice and run them on GB.....Thanks pard!

Gunbroker rocks

I have sold well over 100 Colts on Gunbroker along with about 250 other makes

For high dollar, collectible firearms, GunsInternational is the best - and the fees are much more reasonble. I used to use GunBroker but my results on GunsInternational has been superior. They have much higher quality items and sellers overall. They attract buyers with $$$ to spend. Gunbroker has alot of gun show items recirculating nowadays for my taste. But to each his own. Mostly depends on what you are selling.

For high dollar, collectible firearms, GunsInternational is the best - and the fees are much more reasonble. I used to use GunBroker but my results on GunsInternational has been superior. They have much higher quality items and sellers overall. They attract buyers with $$$ to spend. Gunbroker has alot of gun show items recirculating nowadays for my taste. But to each his own. Mostly depends on what you are selling.

Glad your experience on GI has been productive.. I never had much success with GI compared to GB. Whatever works for you is what's best!

Gunbroker has always been the best vehicle I have found to sell High End firearms of any kind, including Class III firearms( I have an SOT as well as FFL) and a section only for CAS.

IMHO, Guns International doesn't get close to the number and types of guns offered on Gunbroker and without knowing actual stats I would hazard a guess that Guns International doesn't do a fraction of the business that Gunbroker does plus Guns International is fairly' new' compared to Gunbroker which has the largest internet following of any internet gun auction site by far

As for high end firearms, I have regularly seen high end guns for auction on GB in the 5 figures range

Guns International is small compared to GB...put your guns on both sites and determine which works best for you

** I have NO connection to Gunbroker....Just a long time seller and buyer on GB with a bit of experience

I understand someone came in and bought all of these at once. No longer available.

I understand someone came in and bought all of these at once. No longer available.

I guess so..I would have bought them all too!

I like 1st Gen Colts because they are more comfortable for me to shoot, but that is just me. I have 3 of them, and two are shooters, the third one I will shoot but not all the time. I also have 3rd Gen. Colt SAA's now and will shoot both of them. The other one is the twin to the one Sixgun Shorty ordered.

As far as shooting nice guns, you have to remember that none of us can take them with us when we leave this Earth for the Pasture in the Sky. And I never heard of a dying man say "gee I wish I hadn't shot that nickel'd engraved Colt so much"

Archived