SASS Wire Forum

French Sub

Subdeacon Joe

http://www.dieselpunks.org/profiles/blogs/surcouf-1

The French submarine Surcouf, launched in 1929, was 361 feet long, and
at 3,304 tons was, at that time, the world's largest pre WW2 submarine.
Two Sulze diesel engines and two electric motors were used for her
propulsion, she could cover 10,000 miles at 10 knots, submerged speed
was 8.5 knots, but on the surface she was capable of reaching 18 knots.

This
huge submarine carried twin 8 inch guns in a single turret, quite a
formidible armament for a submarine, and in a hangar aft of her conning
tower was an observation aircraft, a Marcel Berson-411, capable of a
speed of 100 knots with a range of 400 kilometres. A cargo of torpedoes,
14 by 500mm, and another 8 by 400mm added to her fighting abilities. A
16 foot motor boat was also on board.

The Japanese also had some huge subs at the start of the war. The US lagged far behind but eventually caught up.

We seem to do that a lot.

The Japanese also had some huge subs at the start of the war. The US lagged far behind but eventually caught up.

Not if you watch the Military channel, Bob.

They are showcasing all sorts of WonderWeapons that will win the war. Even the long running wars in the middle east.

Of course there is not a lot of demand for submarines in Afghanistan, or not that I am aware of.

Maybe in the past - these days it seems the US is the forefront of combat proven stuff from ground attack to aviation...of course, maintaining that forefront gets harder and harder as some nations are hacking into our military databases or being given defense technologies directly.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Maybe in the past - these days it seems the US is the forefront of combat proven stuff from ground attack to aviation...of course, maintaining that forefront gets harder and harder as some nations are hacking into our military databases or being given defense technologies directly.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

That's because we have been engaged in global conflicts for many years. Between wars the govt gets cheap and complacent. I won't get into the military draw down after Vietnam, and during the Clinton era...that's a whole book. There's a very true saying that Generals are always well prepared to fight the last war.

But alas, I don't see a point in the forseeable future where we'll be between conflicts.

That's because we have been engaged in global conflicts for many years. Between wars the govt gets cheap and complacent. I won't get into the military draw down after Vietnam, and during the Clinton era...that's a whole book. There's a very true saying that Generals are always well prepared to fight the last war.

But alas, I don't see a point in the forseeable future where we'll be between conflicts.

Just stating what the current situation is....not what was or what will be....

GG ~ ;)

Our V-boats were getting close to that size. Set up as mine layers, they also had 6" guns as armament. Nautilus, Argonaut, Narwhal participated in WW II. Nautilus got a shot at one of the Japanese carriers during Midway, the destroyer that stayed behind to keep her under was the one McClusky followed to carriers later. Nautilus and Narwhal supported Marine Raiders several times. Argonaut was sunk during the Guadacanal campaign after attacking a convoy. There were a couple others, but their names escape me at the moment :blush:

Shortly after WW II, I saw a Japanese miniature sub . IIRC it had been captured early in the war, and after the engineers going over it, they sent in on tour around the country. Come to thunk on it, it was around that time that search lights became very popular with advertisers. Every time there was a Grand Opening or a Sale going on, the sky lit up like an air raid on Britain.

Shortly after WW II, I saw a Japanese miniature sub . IIRC it had been captured early in the war, and after the engineers going over it, they sent in on tour around the country. Come to thunk on it, it was around that time that search lights became very popular with advertisers. Every time there was a Grand Opening or a Sale going on, the sky lit up like an air raid on Britain.

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-fornv/japan/japtp-ss/mdg-a-2.htm

It might nave been a great sub.

Ask the Germans. It belonged to them less than ten years later.

From what the article says it looks like it went Free French. Douglas Reeman wrote a novel about a fictitious sister ship: Strike From From The Sea, http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2079534.Strike_From_The_Sea

If you have a Nook, you might want to try "The Last Eagle" for a whopping 99 cents.

The Last Eagle

Good yarn, based on the story of the Orzeł incident.

Also available for the Kindle, same whopping price.

Did you notice that the website said it could go 100 knots...that I'd like to see. :wacko:

Read this part again, Doc: and in a hangar aft of her conning

tower was an observation aircraft, a Marcel Berson-411, capable of a

speed of 100 knots with a range of 400 kilometres.

When I first ready this thread, why did the word Chauchat come to mind?

That would be a thread titled "French junk". ;)

Ah yes, Bob. But they do make some great bread and mustard.

Just what'cha need for a snail sammich.... :huh:

Archived