SASS Wire Forum

Marble Buckhorn Sight.

Irish Tom

Need some advice from the experts. I shoot a Marlin 94, in 45 Colt. Was thinking of switching the rear sight to the Marble Full Buckhorn Sight. They are available from Midway or Brownells. Anybody out there use one and if so, have you found it easier to pick up the front sight and get on target faster? Appreciate any and all advice.

Irish Tom

I have one on my 73 carbine with a big bead from Pioneer Gun works, it works really good, I have since got another 73 in the deluxe version but haven't put a full buckhorn site on it yet, plus plan on putting them on my marlins as well.

If I remember right there was a thread awhile back about this, found out from that thread quite a few use the full buckhorn but most use the flat one, guess it depend how fast you want to go, personally I have found the full buckhorn doesn't bother me, but I'm not a very fast shooter either, at least like the top ones are, I seemed to hold my own anyway.

All for now JD Trampas

The ones I have looked at work almost like a peep sight and tend to draw the eye right to the front sight. My thinking was that it might improve my speed a little with the rifle. I am not a fast shooter to begin with, so every second helps.

Hi Irish Tom,

I shoot a Buck Horn on my '73, however I did shoot one on my Marlin '94 before I swithed to the '73.

As I got faster, I had a tendency to want to see more front sight and of course that made me shoot high.

The Full Buckhorn stopped that tendency, improved my accuracy and speed (less misses).

Sedona shoots a Marlin with a flat sight. I still have the buckhorn sight that came off my Marlin.

You are welcome to shoot one of my '73 or you can borrow my buckhorn sight and try it on your Marlin or you can borrow my Marlin with the Buckhorn and try it. I would have to put the Buckhorn back on the Marlin since it is Sedona's back up and it now has the flat sight.

All our rifles are .45 Colt caliber.

Let me know what you prefer and I'll get it to you at your indoor shooting range.

Most of the fast shooters use the flat sights. However I find the Semi-Buckhorn sights best. The full Buckhorns cover too much area around the front sight for me.

I like the front bead to sit centered and just above the notch in the rear sight, so that when the bead is centered on the target, the bullet strikes dead center. This is the quickest and most accurate set-up for me. Others likes might vary from this.

As far as a full Buckhorn sight, I do not care for then at all. The Semi-Buckhorn is definitely faster for me.

RBK

Hi Irish Tom,

I shoot a Buck Horn on my '73, however I did shoot one on my Marlin '94 before I swithed to the '73.

As I got faster, I had a tendency to want to see more front sight and of course that made me shoot high.

The Full Buckhorn stopped that tendency, improved my accuracy and speed (less misses).

Sedona shoots a Marlin with a flat sight. I still have the buckhorn sight that came off my Marlin.

You are welcome to shoot one of my '73 or you can borrow my buckhorn sight and try it on your Marlin or you can borrow my Marlin with the Buckhorn and try it. I would have to put the Buckhorn back on the Marlin since it is Sedona's back up and it now has the flat sight.

All our rifles are .45 Colt caliber.

Let me know what you prefer and I'll get it to you at your indoor shooting range.

Hard Cash.

Thanks for the offer. Maybe I can shoot your 73 at the next shoot. No need to go installing or re installing sights, I may decide I dont like it. I should be able to get an idea by shooting your 73. Thanks again. I plan on shooting at Cassviille on Saturday. Maybe I'll see you guy's there.

Irish Tom

I don't know if we'll shoot Cassville. We are planning on shooting the NCOW's shoot at Marshfield, since we have never shot at Marschfield.

Send me your mobile phone number to john.h.goldsmith@morganstanley.com so we can talk

have you found it (a full buckhorn rear sight) easier to pick up the front sight and get on target faster?

Ummm, nope. Have found it easier to see and faster to get on target when I use a flat top rear sight. Any of the buckhorn designs just get in the way when looking for the next target.
If you want something like a peep sight for the rear, then go all the way to using a tang mounted rear peep like the Marbles folding tang sight. Some of the fast shooters still use one of them. And with the peep and a good cheek weld to the stock, there really is nothing to get in the way when looking for a target.
Good luck, GJ

I got to play with a 73 that had an"express" rear sight. A very shallow V with a small notch in the center. I think I like it better than any sight I have tried.

I bought a full buckhorn a couple of months back to put on my 66. Shot one magazine full and took it off. Did not like it at all.

Yes, I use full-buckhorn on my rifles. The full buck act just about like a peep sight, in that the eye tends to center the image of the front sight with equal amounts of light around the front image. The barrel-mounted buckhorn obviates the necessity of worrying about a tang-mounted rear sight being jarred out of alignment or knock around by the bolt. Although they time me with an hour glass, I find it faster, as all I do is get the front sight on target, and the front is "automatically" centered in the rear.

Of course you may have to adjust the height setting to compensate for a slight elevation

Archived