SASS Wire Forum

Good for you, Mr. Overton!

Subdeacon Joe

America's oldest vet, aged 107, who saw comrades fall in WWII to spend Memorial Day with cigars and whiskey-stiffened coffee

At the age of 107 America's oldest known veteran plans to enjoy this year's Memorial Day in what he describes as the familiar company of up to 12 cigars and some

whiskey-stiffened coffee - simple luxuries for a man who's lived through a lot.

'I don’t know, some people might do something for me, but I’ll be glad just to sit down

and rest,' World War II veteran Richard Arvine Overton told Fox News from the East Austin, Texas home he built after returning from active duty.

Understandably Mr Overton is already more than entitled to some extra rest and relaxation after his service in the South Pacific from 1942 through 1945.

==============================

It's the physical work he particularly emphasizes. But the whiskey’s good too, as he explains. 'Whiskey’s a good medicine. It keeps your muscles tender,' he said of his common regiment.

Sadly, he says a major part of this Memorial Day will be missing from his day,

as he reflects on everyone he served with, but has now outlived. ‘I know I had someone from my platoon until recently, but he passed so now I don’t have anyone that I know,’ he said. ‘So I feel lonesome by myself sometimes. I would love to ask some of them some questions, but nobody is here. Everybody’s passed.’

See also: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/26/america-oldest-veteran-to-spend-quiet-memorial-day-at-texas-home/

Archived