SASS Wire Forum

A very humbling experience--Post script

:FlagAm: I am currently a DS of Dept 27, electrical, in a Mesa, AZ Home Depot. Yesterday afternoon, I answered a call from the service desk to help a customer. Inside garden is next to my dept. The service desk DH mistakingly called me instead of a Dept 28 associate. When I went over to the BBQ grill aisle, there was a very elderly couple looking at a smaller Weber gas grill. Upon greeting them and asking what I could do to help, they stated that they would like to purchase the grill but wondered if they had to take the display or if we had others. The husband when young might have been 5'8". He is very frail and stooped over maybe reaching 5'2" The wife maybe could claim 4'8". I discussed with them the features of the grill and this is the one they wanted. They were somewhat besides themselves because they owned a smaller car and had no way to bring the grill home. I assured them both I would make sure they got their grill. I found a boxed unit and had it taken to tool rental to be assembled. I will be loading it up in my truck this afternoon and taking it to the home. I am also throwing in a new, filled propane tank.

Now the point of this post. During conversation, the wife asked if they could use a military discount. I replied yes and asked about branch of service and time served fully knowing I was in the presence of a WWII veteran. The gentleman looked up at me and replied with a big smile U.S. Navy. That was the extent of his reply. His wife looking at him with pride added that he was a crew member of the U.S.S. Arizona and was on the ship 7Dec41. The husband looked at me again with tears forming and running down his cheeks. He was a mechanics mate and somehow got above deck and off the ship. Only one of his fellow mates is still alive besides himself. I broke company protocol giving this very humble man a big hug thanking him for being part of the greatest generation this country has produced. At this point, I had tears running down my cheeks just as I do now. This small statured man is not a braggart but a giant who went on to serve his country for the rest of the conflict when he could have gone home to the warmth of his family and safety. In my eyes this soft spoken hero is 7' tall. I am so lucky to have taken that miss directed call yesterday. I, also a veteran who saw combat, have a new hero to look up to. All in all, I would say one of the best days I have had at work in a very, very long time.

God Bless all that have served this great country during it's time of need sacrificing all that was dear to them EXCEPT for the love they had for their homeland. We are sincerely blessed to have men and women with such fortitude and backbone answer the call to duty.

Respectfully,

Chas B. Wolfson :FlagAm:

:FlagAm: I delivered the grill the following afternoon. I set the grill up on the back patio, installed the propane tank and showed the couple proper lighting and use. The old sailor thanked me and asked if I had a few extra minutes. He went inside the home and returned with a small box. Inside were packets containing old photos. Little B&W ones with the scalloped edges as if cut using plinking sheers. He proceeded to show me some of his memories. These were a chronicle of his service to his country. From the day he left home to start his training to about six or seven weeks before 7DEC41 and then of the rest of his tours during the entirety of the conflict. It was like taking a step back in time to say the least. He very clearly described each photo to me and remembered each and every name of the individuals frozen in time. In the bottom of the box was a smaller metal box which contained all of his service medals and paperwork. Very moving to say the least.

I will be going back for some more visits.

Regards,

Chas B. :FlagAm:

:FlagAm:

Thanks for sharing this. I am having trouble reading it because the monitor is blurred.

God bless those men and women that answered the call. The country was a different

place in those hard times.

God bless him and his wife and God bless you, Chas.

You have made my day, much as he made yours.

You done very good, son!

Good on ya, Charles :FlagAm:

That frail old sailor went through hell on the first day and was lucky to survive when so many of his shipmates didn't. I have a ball cap from the memorial that a work friend gave me that I'm very proud of :blush:

:FlagAm: I am currently a DS of Dept 27, electrical, in a Mesa, AZ Home Depot. Yesterday afternoon, I answered a call from the service desk to help a customer. Inside garden is next to my dept. The service desk DH mistakingly called me instead of a Dept 28 associate. When I went over to the BBQ grill aisle, there was a very elderly couple looking at a smaller Weber gas grill. Upon greeting them and asking what I could do to help, they stated that they would like to purchase the grill but wondered if they had to take the display or if we had others. The husband when young might have been 5'8". He is very frail and stooped over maybe reaching 5'2" The wife maybe could claim 4'8". I discussed with them the features of the grill and this is the one they wanted. They were somewhat besides themselves because they owned a smaller car and had no way to bring the grill home. I assured them both I would make sure they got their grill. I found a boxed unit and had it taken to tool rental to be assembled. I will be loading it up in my truck this afternoon and taking it to the home. I am also throwing in a new, filled propane tank.

Now the point of this post. During conversation, the wife asked if they could use a military discount. I replied yes and asked about branch of service and time served fully knowing I was in the presence of a WWII veteran. The gentleman looked up at me and replied with a big smile U.S. Navy. That was the extent of his reply. His wife looking at him with pride added that he was a crew member of the U.S.S. Arizona and was on the ship 7Dec41. The husband looked at me again with tears forming and running down his cheeks. He was a mechanics mate and somehow got above deck and off the ship. Only one of his fellow mates is still alive besides himself. I broke company protocol giving this very humble man a big hug thanking him for being part of the greatest generation this country has produced. At this point, I had tears running down my cheeks just as I do now. This small statured man is not a braggart but a giant who went on to serve his country for the rest of the conflict when he could have gone home to the warmth of his family and safety. In my eyes this soft spoken hero is 7' tall. I am so lucky to have taken that miss directed call yesterday. I, also a veteran who saw combat, have a new hero to look up to. All in all, I would say one of the best days I have had at work in a very, very long time.

God Bless all that have served this great country during it's time of need sacrificing all that was dear to them EXCEPT for the love they had for their homeland. We are sincerely blessed to have men and women with such fortitude and backbone answer the call to duty.

Respectfully,

Chas B. Wolfson :FlagAm:

Awesome - and hope they enjoy their new grill this weekend while reflecting on his fellow sailors who perished (reckon he does everyday!) ~ Indeed may God bless them all...as long as we, as a nation, remember that we are a nation under God.

Good work sir! ~ and thank you for your service as well.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

One of my uncles lost a good friend on that ship, and I still get tears in my eyes when I remember seeing his name on the Memorial....just like there's tears in my eyes now. Good thing I waited for lunch break on this one....

Hey there pard, good ta see ya here!

Your story is no small surprise to me 'cuz you are that kind of guy....

What I find espcially heartwarming is what YOU did, using your own funds to be sure he was well cared for....

Home Depot needs more people like you, stay safe my friend, and thank you for serving as well.

Happy Memorial Day to all our veteran's and those servind now...

JJJ-D

9th MP Co.

:ph34r: :ph34r:

Dad burn monitor is all blurry now.

Thank you for your service, and for sharing.

:FlagAm:

Dutchman

You did good for this sailor. Did you get his name? All USS Arizona survivors are listed and can be looked up on the web.

My personal hero has his name on the list of survivors Lawrence,Thomas H. s1C(Seaman First Class).

He is my father. Gone since 1966 Died as WO4 with 26 years in the Navy.

Arizona Survivors are very scarce only about 265 to start with.

Dustin Checotah

DAMN !

Big ole lump in my throat now !

My the Creator richly bless you Sir . :FlagAm:

Thanks for posting. I worked in the shipyard in San Diego some ( many ) years back.

The man who was foreman of the rigging crews on second shift had been on one of the ships that was sunk at Pearl Harbor that day in December 1941. ( I don't know which ship.)

He was locked in the brig that morning . . . . . . . and was released just in time to survive.

I never did inquire which ship it had been that he was on.

Chas,

Great thing to do for one of our bravest.

I did an oral report on that attack for history class many years ago. Will never forget it. I don't remember any other report given that day getting the attention of the class more.

Must be very rewarding to have actually met someone who lived through it.

My FIL is traveling to D.C. soon to be honored for service during that war. My wife was asked to write a letter for him to read there. I will do that too. He was at Omaha Beach and Battle of the Bulge, as a forward artillery observer.

You're a good man Chas. The chances of ever meeting anyone who was at Pearl that day are slim. The chances of meeting someone who survived the Arizona are MUCH slimmer. The story of the chance meeting with him brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing the story.

Sun

:FlagAm: I delivered the grill the following afternoon. I set the grill up on the back patio, installed the propane tank and showed the couple proper lighting and use. The old sailor thanked me and asked if I had a few extra minutes. He went inside the home and returned with a small box. Inside were packets containing old photos. Little B&W ones with the scalloped edges as if cut using plinking sheers. He proceeded to show me some of his memories. These were a chronicle of his service to his country. From the day he left home to start his training to about six or seven weeks before 7DEC41 and then of the rest of his tours during the entirety of the conflict. It was like taking a step back in time to say the least. He very clearly described each photo to me and remembered each and every name of the individuals frozen in time. In the bottom of the box was a smaller metal box which contained all of his service medals and paperwork. Very moving to say the least.

I will be going back for some more visits.

Regards,

Chas B. :FlagAm:

Wow! He gave you a treasure beyond price. Isn't it nice when being a decent person is rewarded that way?

I agree with Buck. Record as much of that history that you can so the Greatest Generation won't be forgotten by following generations!! Bravo to you. That's quite a friendship you've made.

Dammit, Chas! I made till 1:30 this afternoon without tearin' up, now you've gone and spoiled it.

(I probably wouldn't have made it much longer. - going to the cemetery shortly to visit with a buddy who didn't make it back.)

Thanks, Chas.!

I lost an uncle at Iwo Jima. His ship took a bomb to the magazine and he was below deck.

Father served in the Army Air Corps in the Pacific and another uncle served in the Army and survived Normandy and a tour of Europe.

This was truly the Greatest Generation!!

I thank you for your service and please thank him for his!!

Thank you, Chas, and my screen was hard to read too.

I worked for a time at the Ohio Veterans Home in Sandusky.

Their happiest time of year was Halloween.

The saddest, Christmas ... because family never came to see them.

By all means, do go back and visit with that giant again!

Archived