SASS Wire Forum

Yellowstone vacation.

Hoss

Leaving in 2 weeks for a 2 week road trip, going from STexas to Yellowstone for 3 days, then drive thru Utah, Arizona, grand Canyon, then back home thru NM. No real hard and fast plans except 3 nights at Old Faithful Inn. Also spending 1 night in Cody Wyoming. Planning on staying at the Irma in Cody, anybody know if it's as nice as website claims? Always a little worried about "historic" hotels!

Also looking for hints of places to go and things to see out west. Just my wife and I on the trip......no kids. Not planning on shooting because I don't want to drag my cowboy guns all over. Will have a little surprise in my pocket though, just in case we get surrounded by outlaws or Indians or something!

If you're looking for a day trip out of the park there's a few places you can check out.The closest is Virginia City,Mt. (136 miles from the park) It still has many of the original buildings and was the 1st State capitol during the gold rush days.Another one if you like caverns is the Lewis and Clark caverns (162 miles from the park).Be prepared to walk a piece to get to the cavern entrance though.They give tours through it every hour or two.Been a while since I was there,so I don't remember the tour schedule.

Mesa verde cliff dwelling come to my mind if your up in the 4 corners region, plus you really need to see White Sands National Monumet and Carlsbad Caverns down here in the southern part of New Mexico! If you travel I-25 through NM, stop off in Hatch NM at Sparkys to eat. You will be glad you did!

Coming out of the Grand Canyon to Williams, head towards Flagstaff but turn and Go through Oak Creek Canyon and come into Sedona before heading south to Phoenix.

Jake

Spent several days at the Irma 3 years ago. Stayed in the original part of the hotel. Room was large and comfortable. Feeling of nostalgia and such but with modern amenities. Breakfast in hotel was good, prime rib at night is supposed to be great but never spent the $'s for it. Cody Museum is a must, it will take more than a day to experience even 1/2 of it.

Have fun and enjoy,

Marlin(Who is lucky to have been there and done that twice)Buckhorn

Thanks Marlin. I was hoping to find somebody who stayed at the Irma. We are staying in the "historic" part of the hotel as well. I can sleep most anywheres as long as the bedbugs ant bigger than me. Mrs Roonwright is a lot more picky! Sounds like the Irma will be fine. And yes, definitly going to the Cody Museum.

to all, appreciate the tips on things to see. Ive never been out west, except for flying into Denver a couple of times, so really looking forward to just driving and looking around. Keep the ideas coming!

Don't forget that the Little Big Horn battlefield is not that far from Yellowstone & Cody. Drive north thru the Bear Tooth Pass towards Billings, MT leaving the Park; an awesome drive watching the clouds far below you.

Do not miss the "Dug Up Guns" museum in Cody; one of the best "free" attractions anywhere. The Medicine Wheel historic site between Cody & Sheridan is also very interesting.

Seamus

Archived