SASS Wire Forum

Southern Hospitality

Kajun,

I had the same experience with driving in Texas some years back. Being from CT I couldn't believe people actually pulled over like that just to let you pass. Here in CT they would make sure you couldn't pass them.

Also I don't think many people even know how to merge correctly. Or they just don't want to let anyone in front of them.

Billy, a lot of people in Atlanta consider the word "merge" to be a personal challenge. :P

I lived in Texas 1982-91 and there are two things that I'll always remember about driving in Texas.

1. They seem to have the best highways there.....well maintained, not as littered as other places I've been (Don't Mess With Texas), generous amount of pavement even on the shoulders of rural highways and on some FM roads as well.

2. Drive Friendly.....folks who were driving slower on two lane roads would pull over on the shoulder while maintaining their driving speed to let you pass them in the lane you are driving rather than having to actually pass them in the other lane. Of course this could only be done where the shoulder of the road was large enough....which was fairly often on two lane highways. I've done that while I've lived in GA and when I do most folks don't even waive or acknowledge you did them a favor....they just speed on by driving along holding their steering wheel with their feet whilst either texting or putting on their war paint before getting to w*rk.

Kajun

Except that their on-ramps ain't for crap, too darned short.

Sounds like my daily commute here in the metro LA area. Two days a week, I support a location within walking distance of LAX. That area is always fun, no matter what time of day it is. I feel your pain.

We call your RPS headupass's disease. We get a lot of that too whether it's a gal putting on her makeup in her rear view mirror, a guy texting while driving or just the simple person so lost in their own mind that they forgot they were behind the wheel.

I wish I could too......

Kirs...I know this for a fact, and you can verify it for me.......

In LA, it's not how many miles you drive, it's how long it takes you to get from point A to point B ! ;)

I feel sorry for the folks who have to deal with traffic like that. Ive been thru/to Atlanta a few times, couple times there to shoot Mule Camp. I must say, that was some of the worse traffic I have dealt with. I bet the brake shops make a killing there.

Rush hour around here is a little different, my town doesnt even have a stop light....lol

Kirs...I know this for a fact, and you can verify it for me.......

In LA, it's not how many miles you drive, it's how long it takes you to get from point A to point B ! ;)

Absolutely!! When I was going through radiation, I chose a location that is actually 5 miles farther than the nearest location. The closer location would have routed me past LAX, Downtown and into Hollywood. It would have easily taken 2 hours or more one way. Not a good trip. The location I chose was east of us but it was a straight shot out and back. One day, I was able to do it in 45 minutes one way. The average was about an hour.

When I work at the LAX location, I arrive 30 minutes earlier than I would normally arrive at the office. That way I can leave 30 minutes earlier and get ahead of most of the traffic. In So Cal, you learn to plan your life and events around traffic. That's just the way it is......

Yup......when I drove my KW into LA, down the I-5 and the 295 toward Long beach, it would take me a whole day(just before sun up till after sun down) to get three stops off .

The rush hour drive on the I-5 starts at 03:00am each day...at least it did when I was trucking there.

Would then reload the next day up in Gonzales, Cal for the reload to Hunter's Point Market off the Major Decagon Freeway in NYC in three days time.

Now that's truckin' ! ;)

Archived