SASS Wire Forum

Southern Hospitality

Does not exist on the freeways in Atlanta. Had to go to the city this morning and I didn’t like it. Almost every stretch of highway was foo barred. Discourteous drivers were out en masse. And at least one of the following is a daily occurrence:

Multi car pile-up

Car-be-que

Large appliance or sofa in the road

Large animal wandering around the road (e.g. cow, bear, zebra)

RPS (residual pinhead slowing due to gawking at an accident or afore mentioned large appliance, sofa or large animal in the road)

Car/Police chases

It took me couple hours to go less than 20 miles. Typical. Had several near death experiences, like when a tractor trailer in the lane next to me decided to straddle my lane and his. Or when the guy in front of me going at 60 mph decided to slam on his brakes and come to screeching and smoking halt. Although one rude driver did me a favor. He wouldn't let me merge onto 85 south. Whether I would try to get in front or behind him, he matched my speed. So I wound up on the access road and as I drove by I saw he was at a stop cause 85 south was wall to wall parked cars. I smiled and waved.

Does not exist on the freeways in freeways in Atlanta. Had to go to the city this morning and I didn’t like it. Almost every stretch of highway was foo barred. Discourteous drivers were out en masse. And at least one of the following is a daily occurrence:

Multi car pile-up

Car-be-que

RPS (residual pinhead slowing due to gawking at afore mentioned large appliance, sofa or large animal in the road)

Car/Police chases

It took me couple hours to go less than 20 miles. Typical. Had several near death experiences, like when a tractor trailer in the lane next to me decided to straddle my lane and his. Or when the guy in front of me going at 60 mph decided to slam on his brakes and come to screeching and smoking halt. Although one rude driver did me a favor. He wouldn't let me merge onto 85 south. Whether I would try to get in front or behind him, he matched my speed. So I wound up on the access road and as I drove by I saw he was at a stop cause 85 south was wall to wall parked cars. I smiled and waved.

Dat's why it is called da "Sue-I-Side Circle darlin !

Drove dat hiway many a time. So bad, even da state troopers don't go der unless absolutely have two !

Seen many a large animal wanderin' round der ..........even seen a giraffe once when da circus came through an lost it's load of animals !

OK, all of this sounds familiar except the large appliance in the road.....but there was that porta-potty in the left lane during rush hour......and we have the added fun of throwing mountain roads into the mix......

I do feel your pain and you definitely have my sympathies!! ;) Drivers license exams REALLY should have an IQ section.....

We are approaching the MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND.

That is the time of year when all of the mindless drivers flush out

their cranial cavity and runs out on the roadway on a road trip.

STAY SAFE OUT THERE. WE NEED ALL THE COWBOYS AND COWGIRLS WE CAN GET.

It's gotten worse since you've been here, Sam.

Glad you made it through the storms.

Thanks, we made it this time! 2011, now that was a different story so yeah we needed a break. The good people of Moore though need everyones help!

We left in 1990 so I can only imagine. DFW is almost as bad traffic loadwise, however, on average the other driver will allow you to change lanes if you signal and wave politely. There are buffoons though...you just have to watch out. I don't go anywhere without my Garmin anymore as it tells you what lane to be in almost without fail. And if you or it errs, ole Gerty will tell you to re-route without heart rending curses and hair pulling.

Does not exist on the freeways in Atlanta. Had to go to the city this morning and I didn’t like it. Almost every stretch of highway was foo barred. Discourteous drivers were out en masse. And at least one of the following is a daily occurrence:

Multi car pile-up

Car-be-que

RPS (residual pinhead slowing due to gawking at an accident or afore mentioned large appliance, sofa or large animal in the road)

Car/Police chases

And all this happens before 8:00 a.m. And they aren't trying to run over you. They are putting on their makeup and texting their boss because they are running late.

Miss Business...

There are greener pastures to the west, Ma'am.

Ozarks hospitality is much more congenial!

I've driven Atlanta in rush hour. Ain't anywhere near as bad the Miami area. At least the a holes up there insult you in English or a form close to it. I'll bet that there isn't a vehicle in Dade County that has no dents of some kind.

Do they sell used Abrams?

CS

WB, ya forgot to throw in the occasional ladder falling off the painter's van. Just a question, how many fingers were you holding up when you waved at the guy who wouldn't let you merge? :lol:

Although one rude driver did me a favor. He wouldn't let me merge onto

85 south. Whether I would try to get in front or behind him, he

matched my speed. So I wound up on the access road and as I drove by I

saw he was at a stop cause 85 south was wall to wall parked cars. I

smiled and waved.

Did you yell out to him, "Bless your heart!" ? :lol:

Same in any big city pretty much. I try to avoid em.

It was kinda funny when we went to some of those small towns in Utah...we got caught in their rush hours.....lasted about 20 seconds and consisted of about a half dozen cars..... :blink:;)

I hate big city driving. I live 15 miles from my office. Takes me 18 minutes. Unless I get caught in thst pesky rush hour traffic from 0648-0650 in the morning, or 1645-1647 in the afternoon.....

I do have to drive thru Houston on occasion. YUK!

Just drove thru Austin and Houston (going and coming) going on our cruise last week. Beats the H$LL outta me why anyone in their right mind would want to live in a big city. Did my time in Austin and San Antonio (worst place I've ever driven) when in college. I like it here in Clyde. Our only traffic jam is when a freight train blows thru town and there's 3 or 4 vehicles ahead of you waiting! We do have 3 PITA four way stop signs! :lol: 2 are on the interstate access roads.

JHC

When a car is straddling two lanes with the white lines passing under his middle, it's called 'Pac Manning'

Thankfully the highways I drive to and from work today aren't generally all that bad, and as luck would have it, the heavy traffic is heading the opposite way as I am. Which is a good thing, cuz the major highway I drive is under massive construction. They're doing a good job keeping two lanes open in each direction, but that means massive lane re-alignments that seem to change daily at times.

Multi car pile-up

Car-be-que

Car/Police chases

Sounds like my daily commute here in the metro LA area. Two days a week, I support a location within walking distance of LAX. That area is always fun, no matter what time of day it is. I feel your pain.

We call your RPS headupass's disease. We get a lot of that too whether it's a gal putting on her makeup in her rear view mirror, a guy texting while driving or just the simple person so lost in their own mind that they forgot they were behind the wheel.

Same in any big city pretty much. I try to avoid em.

I wish I could too......

Whiskey is right, there is no highway courtesy here in Atlanta. The best commentary I ever saw about Atlanta commuting was a bumper sticker on a pickup that said "DIE YUPPIE SCUM." I figured that boy had been cut off by the Volvo's and BMW's a few too many times! :lol:

There is a huge part of me what wants to move out west and live in or near a small town in the middle of nowhere. But my family is here (most of them), my church and all of my friends are here. I have too much invested in Marietta, and I simply cannot bring myself to give all that up.

The best time to pass through Atlanta is 2:00 AM! I usta' hafta go through there on my way to UGA for the frat gigs! We would leave Nashville at noon to get to a gig down there! It would sometimes take three hours to get around that mess they call highways!!

Have you ever noticed that GA seems to be the State of perpetual road construction? I can't think of anytime in my life that I-75 has not been under construction of some type. It seems like it's in the same general area too.

CS

I lived in Texas 1982-91 and there are two things that I'll always remember about driving in Texas.

1. They seem to have the best highways there.....well maintained, not as littered as other places I've been (Don't Mess With Texas), generous amount of pavement even on the shoulders of rural highways and on some FM roads as well.

2. Drive Friendly.....folks who were driving slower on two lane roads would pull over on the shoulder while maintaining their driving speed to let you pass them in the lane you are driving rather than having to actually pass them in the other lane. Of course this could only be done where the shoulder of the road was large enough....which was fairly often on two lane highways. I've done that while I've lived in GA and when I do most folks don't even waive or acknowledge you did them a favor....they just speed on by driving along holding their steering wheel with their feet whilst either texting or putting on their war paint before getting to w*rk.

Kajun

Whisky, . . . . same here . . . Occasionally I have to brave the L.A. / inland I-10 traffic to go to visit a friend in Covina.

Same . . . . except for one thing, . . . . . . .

. . . . the wild zebras are only found in Georgia . . .thank goodness for that. I would not want to have to deal with them . . . . . :o

I drove through Atlanta back in Feb. From the SW to the NE. It's a long ways from one end to the other. We didn't have any problems, traffic was flowing well, but it's a long ways. Considerably bigger than Valliant, OK. Our grocery store moved from a building near the center of town to the east side of town. I live on the west side. I complained to them because now I have to drive all the way across town to buy groceries. But they didn't move back.

Of all the big cities I've been through I think Oklahoma City is the easiest to get around in, especially since they've finished the new I-40 just south of downtown.

Kajun,

I had the same experience with driving in Texas some years back. Being from CT I couldn't believe people actually pulled over like that just to let you pass. Here in CT they would make sure you couldn't pass them.

Also I don't think many people even know how to merge correctly. Or they just don't want to let anyone in front of them.

Miss Business...

There are greener pastures to the west, Ma'am.

Ozarks hospitality is much more congenial!

I tried to pull out of the Bank and make a left turn on Main Street in Monett, MO right at 5:00 PM.

Traffic was so bad I had to wait for 4 cars and a school bus before it cleared in both directions. Don't know what the world is coming to. Entirely too many people.

I often pull a car trailer in Texas for my other hobby, (

). The common routine is the vehicle behind me will fill my mirrors and I will pull off to the right a bit to allow enough room for them to go by. Then to show thanks they will flash their lights. Sometimes you get a flat if there is no shoulder but I'd rather have that than an accident for some go getter passing in a dangerous fashion and causing a head on collision right next to me. It probably ends up being safer for everyone.

Archived