SASS Wire Forum

CALIFORNIA MICROSTAMPING AT IT'S BEST

What a complete... you fill in the blank.

Useless, needless, moronic, idiotic, etc etc

Even the CADOJ released a report a few years back that concluded microstamping is useless.

And, from the article: "Feuer, who is running for LA city attorney, said the law would likely extend to other states which had been "looking to California to see if our law goes into effect."

That is what I've been saying for at least a decade - CA is the proving ground for stupid things like this. If they manage to stay on the books in CA, then other states push them.

At least we have:

Gun rights groups argued that the law was an effective ban on new guns because of the burdens it places on manufacturers.

"Manufactures are not going to create a special run of firearms with all of these very burdensome manufacturing technologies just so they can comply and produce firearms for one market," said Brandon Combs, executive director of the Calguns Foundation, a gun rights group based in San Carlos, Calif.

The Calguns Foundation extended a patent by paying a $555 fee, Combs said. He said the group was planning to conduct an "audit" of the state Department of Justice to determine whether the patents were truly "unencumbered." The group has challenged requirements of the state's handgun roster as unconstitutional in a federal court filing.

But, yeah, the smug know-it-alls are right, every gun owner should just get out of CA and let things like this go unchallenged.

now tell me again how great it is to live in the PRK

We don't have to breath soup from May through October. Our food prices are lower, and most of our produce fresher. Have easy access to beaches, desert, mountains, redwood forest, within a few hours drive. Our mosquitoes are not the size of small aircraft. Just for starters.

How about all criminals just start using Revolvers and not leave any shell casings around for the Police to pick up. DUH!

These Dumb Politicians think everyone shoots semi automatics only, and have no clue about how guns really work.

Jake

The weather's nice. :)

By the way.... I stopped into

in Clovis, CA this afternoon. Friendly folks. Decent (as in non-gouging) prices, AND they had inventory! ;)

We have Yosemite, Death Valley, Mt. Whitney, Mt, Shasta, Lake Tahoe, Big Sur, The Redwood forests, the Coastal Highway, and the list goes on.

For those out there that love to slam California, think how bad it would be for the rest of the country if it wasn't for those of us here working our butts off to at least slow the tide of foolishness.

I don't think the criminals will worry about the casings left behind. They will just tell who the firearm was stolen from...

{Heavy sigh} I discussed this issue with one of my engineering friends at work when it first came up. He agreed that as more rounds were cycled through the gun, the microstamps would wear down, eventually making a "legal and compliant" gun an illegal one. Not a pretty picture.

I was born here and love this state I call my home. I hope those of us who own guns and love this place like I do will continue to keep up the good fight. We have to win back this place we call home.

The reality is a relatively small percentage of this state's population have even the smallest interest in shooting. (And keep in mind that fully 25% of the state's population are immigrants, mostly from countries where there is virtually no private firearms ownership).

With that said, we have a dominate political party here who cater to the majority of the population - the majority who have zero or less than zero interest in shooting sports. And toward that end, the whole shooting field presents them with a juicy plum.... they can pass meaningless bills and boast to the uninformed and uninterested about how much they (the politicians) have done to protect them (the uninformed and uninterested voter populace) from the evils of guns and gun owners.

Totally sucks. You can look at other periods of history where minorities have been persecuted.... and realize that we are the new minority, subject to unrestrained, legal, and "Politically Correct" persecution.

Unfortunately, this isn't the arena we're going to win in. Too large a segment of the population just doesn't care.... No, the only way this will ever end is if they self-destruct on another front, like economics. Which MAY happen in this state (although unlikely). Only then can we hope to get people in positions of authority who may incidentally be friendlier toward firearms owners.

And this, folks, is why I just grate when someone from other states criticize us gun owners for not doing enough here, and letting this stuff happen. Yeah.... right. <_<

Hardpan, roughly a quarter of Californians are gun owners. Call it about 9 million people. What we need to do is get them politically motivated and active. Can you imagine the reaction in Sac if every gun owner in CA wrote at least twice a month expressing their concerns about protecting our civil rights? Heck, if even a quarter of them did that? That's the problem - too many gun owners don't, or won't, get active. Or, worse, throw their hands in the air and whine that they can't do anything about it.

How about all criminals just start using Revolvers and not leave any shell casings around for the Police to pick up. DUH!

These Dumb Politicians think everyone shoots semi automatics only, and have no clue about how guns really work.

Jake

I am not certain that if the politicians were skilled in the field of understanding and knowledge, that it would be in our best interest. The would probably have a tough time channeling it into productive directions.

Joe, we do.

But I'm kinda doubtful about that percentage.... perhaps outside the major population centers, but seriously doubt that percentage would apply in the San Francisco, Los Angeles and Sacramento areas. :(

Even if it was that high, we'd still be overwhelmingly outnumbered. Which wouldn't be all that bad, except for the points I made in my previous post.

That number came from Wikipedia and I rounded up slightly. Calguns, in 2009, said: California 21.30% of 36,756,666, so 7,829,170, and as a percentage of gun owners nationwide it's 8.04%.

And even if most of them are rural, every Assembly and State Senate district should have tens of thousands of gun owning citizens in it. Say every member of the Assembly got 10,000 letters every week expressing support of an uninfringed 2nd Amendment...think the capons might listen then? That would be a flood that they couldn't ignore. As it is, I bet they get less than 100/week.

I wish you Calf. pards lots of luck with trying to hang in there and beat back some gun laws but you know it's never gonna happen. I've been to Cal a few times and it is beautiful but here in Ohio we have something you don't FREEDOM!!

Good luck!!

Rye

If we keep fighting, and get even a quarter of the gun owners in CA to be at least minimally politically active (write letters to the capons in office), I think we can. BUT we need to get people to realize that THEY have to work to protect their civil rights. All well and good to contribute to the NRA, GOA, Cal. Rifle and Pistol A'ssn, Calguns, etc. but that doesn't take away the responsibility to, well, take responsibility for themselves.

If we keep fighting, and get even a quarter of the gun owners in CA to be at least minimally politically active (write letters to the capons in office), I think we can. BUT we need to get people to realize that THEY have to work to protect their civil rights. All well and good to contribute to the NRA, GOA, Cal. Rifle and Pistol A'ssn, Calguns, etc. but that doesn't take away the responsibility to, well, take responsibility for themselves.

Yer absolutely right Joe, I do this all the time with the politicians here in Ohio even the ANTI'S who I know won't listen anyway. The more mail and email they get there's always a chance of changing their minds because they want VOTES, (the scumbags)

Good luck to all my Cal. pards and stay on it!!

Rye

Here is a rant that I put together a few years back, got a bunch printed up, and put in several gun shops in the area.

GET
OFF YOUR COMPLACENCY AND DO YOUR PART!

In California there are at least 6,000,000 firearms owners, yet we have some of the most draconian and Byzantine firearms laws in the country. Why? Because too many of us are content to sit and complain but are unwilling to take half an hour a week to do anything about it. Most of us would rather stand around at the range or in a gun shop and spend a couple of hours debating the merits of .300 Magnum over the latest .270 super short ultra mag.

Can you find five minutes a day to support your civil rights? That is all it takes. If you can’t give that little amount of time, you deserve to have your guns legislated away from you. Imagine if in your assembly district EVERY gun owner called his or her assembly member once a week to complain about restrictive firearms legislation. Say there are only 15,000 gun owners in your district (with 80 districts that comes to 1.2 million, a far cry from all the legal gun owners in the state) and each one makes a call once a week which
takes 3 minutes of staff time. It would take 750 man-hours per WEEK just to listen to gun owners complain about restrictive gun laws. That would mean that every member of the Assembly would need almost 19 full time staff members to do nothing but pay attention to our calls. Think they might hear us? After all, politicians are concerned with numbers.

(list of phone numbers and email addresses redacted)

I think most of them ended up being used as scratch paper.

There are five calls you need to make each week – to one
assembly member, one state senator, one member of the House of Representatives,
and two members of the US Senate. That
is what it will take, each of us calling once a week to make our views known.

Yes, you may belong to the NRA or Gun Owners of America, or
the California Rifle and Pistol Association, but so what? Do you think that absolves you from taking
personal responsibility for what happens?
YOU are responsible for protecting your rights. No one else can do it for you.

I wish you Calf. pards lots of luck with trying to hang in there and beat back some gun laws but you know it's never gonna happen. I've been to Cal a few times and it is beautiful but here in Ohio we have something you don't FREEDOM!!

Good luck!!

Rye

Dont count on freedom not being challenged some day were your at because stupid people with stupid ideas spreads like wildfire. Were all in this together pard. Just look who we got from a great mass of uninformed voters! Freedom is not "free" my friend....

The reality is a relatively small percentage of this state's population have even the smallest interest in shooting. (And keep in mind that fully 25% of the state's population are immigrants, mostly from countries where there is virtually no private firearms ownership).

With that said, we have a dominate political party here who cater to the majority of the population - the majority who have zero or less than zero interest in shooting sports. And toward that end, the whole shooting field presents them with a juicy plum.... they can pass meaningless bills and boast to the uninformed and uninterested about how much they (the politicians) have done to protect them (the uninformed and uninterested voter populace) from the evils of guns and gun owners.

Totally sucks. You can look at other periods of history where minorities have been persecuted.... and realize that we are the new minority, subject to unrestrained, legal, and "Politically Correct" persecution.

Unfortunately, this isn't the arena we're going to win in. Too large a segment of the population just doesn't care.... No, the only way this will ever end is if they self-destruct on another front, like economics. Which MAY happen in this state (although unlikely). Only then can we hope to get people in positions of authority who may incidentally be friendlier toward firearms owners.

And this, folks, is why I just grate when someone from other states criticize us gun owners for not doing enough here, and letting this stuff happen. Yeah.... right. <_<

Actually only one person in eleven in this state is native born. Many of these are from foreign countries but the largest percentage by far come here from the wonderful states that enjoy bashing us the most. Most of those are not the cream of the crop.

Actually only one person in eleven in this state is native born. Many of these are from foreign countries but the largest percentage by far come here from the wonderful states that enjoy bashing us the most. Most of those are not the cream of the crop.

+1

People are most likely bashing the California politics - not the state itself. How can they - California is the most geographically diverse state in the nation. I'm proud to have been born there, but do love (west) Michigan for it's Great Lakes, farm country, clean air, no smog check, and allowance of semi-automatics with unlimited magazine capacities.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Okay, technical question:

Originally, the "microstamp" engraving was to have been on the firing pin.

Then there was discussion about it being on the bolt face.

Any idea which it really is? :huh:

Also - "Effective immediately." Does that refer to all handguns sold from this point forward, or manufactured from this point forward? Reckon the already ridiculously inflated costs just ballooned. :(

Damn - I knew I shoulda put some dollars down on that pistol I was admiring last Saturday! :angry:

My understanding is that this applies to any semiauto pistol that isn't currently on the "approved" list. If that is correct, effectively this means that no new semiauto pistols will be available in California for the foreseable future.

Revolvers and semiautos already approved for California sale are not impacted by this law.... yet.

My understanding is that this applies to any semiauto pistol that isn't currently on the "approved" list. If that is correct, effectively this means that no new semiauto pistols will be available in California for the foreseable future.

Revolvers and semiautos already approved for California sale are not impacted by this law.... yet.

That said... am I correct in my understanding that a the "approval" has a defined time, after which it will expire and require renewal?

There sure are a bunch that have dropped from the list! :(

Bad guy is not going to stop and pick up brass from his semi auto. But this brings up another couple of scenarios.

1. Bad guy goes to gun range to practice. While there he walks the firing line picking up spent 9mm cases. Bad guy acquires 9mm revolver. Bad guy robs store shooting two people. Dumps same number of 9mm cases on floor as he leaves. This becomes an evidence nightmare.

2. Same situation but bad guy has access to local gun range where police departments train. Brass is from police training.

Bad guy leaves no prints on fired brass by wearing gloves during pick up and a plastic sandwich bag to dump at scene.

-----------

This would tie up resources trying to figure out who had handled the brass and locating them for questioning. And in the second scenario, the evidence would point towards police officers.

The brass would not longer be a viable piece of evidence.

Bad guy is not going to stop and pick up brass from his semi auto. But this brings up another couple of scenarios.

1. Bad guy goes to gun range to practice. While there he walks the firing line picking up spent 9mm cases. Bad guy acquires 9mm revolver. Bad guy robs store shooting two people. Dumps same number of 9mm cases on floor as he leaves. This becomes an evidence nightmare.

2. Same situation but bad guy has access to local gun range where police departments train. Brass is from police training.

Bad guy leaves no prints on fired brass by wearing gloves during pick up and a plastic sandwich bag to dump at scene.

-----------

This would tie up resources trying to figure out who had handled the brass and locating them for questioning. And in the second scenario, the evidence would point towards police officers.

The brass would not longer be a viable piece of evidence.

Bad guy just doesn't give a damn. -_-

We will keep sending them as fast as we can we don’t want them either and California seems

to them to be much more acceptable to their liberal agenda

My apologies if it ever seems like I’m bashing the shooters of California, most certainly I

am not. You folks need all the help and support that you can get.

As to bashing California itself that is a different story. We all pay for California’s

arrogance. California uses its population and wealth to bully manufactures into

making products that meet what California defines as their private standards.

Manufactures not wanting to have to build a California specific product make it

to California standards and stick the rest the rest of us with the product and

it’s increased costs. The same thing goes with most of the other liberal tree

hugging ideas that start in California.

I’ve traveled over a good part of this country

and California was the only state I needed to stop at a check point to get in.

An evil person could start a lot of trouble with a couple pints from the blood bank and a few pieces of spent brass from the police pistol range. Lay it out on the capital steps one night.

Sorry, just my imagination running wild.

I’ve traveled over a good part of this country

and California was the only state I needed to stop at a check point to get in.

The stop was for an Agricultural inspection only, checking for Fruits and Vegetables which could Harm OUR multi Billion $$$$$ industry. I've never been asked for ID, checked for Drugs, Weapons or anything else. Bananas are OK and you don't need to eat all of them on the side of the road before the checkpoint. Ask me how I know.

Jake

That said... am I correct in my understanding that a the "approval" has a defined time, after which it will expire and require renewal?

There sure are a bunch that have dropped from the list! :(

Good for two years, if I recall correctly. Then the manufacturers have to pay a danegeld bribe fee of $200 (again, if I recall correctly) for each model. And remember that any change in color or barrel length is considered a different model.

Archived