SASS Wire Forum

Calif. law takes effect on microstamping guns

Uno Mas  SASS #80082

I can see gun makers jumping right on this, setting up new production lines for guns sold in the Golden State...Not! :angry: If I lived there, I probably consider selling out and moving to a locale that actually doesn't infringe on your Constitutional rights. Unless a revolution takes place there and those folks "representing" you in Sacramento are dragged from office and given a necktie party, things are only going to get worse there. I sympathize with you.

Do what Ronnie Barrett did. Stop selling to or servicing the guns of the government agencies involved. Simple and effective.

Calif. law takes effect on microstamping guns

The "Golden" State just got a bit more tarnished.

First let me say this really sucks, but I read the article and I don't understand, will the semi-autos already on the list presently being sold have to be adapted with micro stamping or are they exempt? Does this only apply to new models being produced that want to be sold in California.

KK

First let me say this really sucks, but I read the article and I don't understand, will the semi-autos already on the list presently being sold have to be adapted with micro stamping or are they exempt? Does this only apply to new models being produced that want to be sold in California.

KK

AB 1471 changes California definitions of "unsafe handgun" and also requires that:

"7) Commencing January 1, 2010, for all semiautomatic pistols that

are not already listed on the roster pursuant to Section 12131, it is

not designed and equipped with a microscopic array of characters that

identify the make, model, and serial number of the pistol, etched or

otherwise imprinted in two or more places on the interior surface or

internal working parts of the pistol, and that are transferred by

imprinting on each cartridge case when the firearm is fired, provided

that the Department of Justice certifies that the technology used to

create the imprint is available to more than one manufacturer

unencumbered by any patent restrictions. The Attorney General may also

approve a method of equal or greater reliability and effectiveness in

identifying the specific serial number of a firearm from spent cartridge

casings discharged by that firearm than that which is set forth in this

paragraph, to be thereafter required as otherwise set forth by this

paragraph where the Attorney General certifies that this new method is

also unencumbered by any patent restrictions."

Looks like guns already on the list are still good. But, since there is something like a $200 "fee" for each model to be kept on the list (and remember, difference in color or barrel length create a different model. So, say the GP-100 comes in stainless and blued, that is two models right there, then say in 2", 3", 4", 5" and 6" versions, we are now up to ten "models.") how long will the manufacturers keep those older models on the list?

I expect that this will face multiple court challenges.

AB 1471 changes California definitions of "unsafe handgun" and also requires that:

"7) Commencing January 1, 2010, for all semiautomatic pistols that

are not already listed on the roster pursuant to Section 12131, it is

not designed and equipped with a microscopic array of characters that

identify the make, model, and serial number of the pistol, etched or

otherwise imprinted in two or more places on the interior surface or

internal working parts of the pistol, and that are transferred by

imprinting on each cartridge case when the firearm is fired, provided

that the Department of Justice certifies that the technology used to

create the imprint is available to more than one manufacturer

unencumbered by any patent restrictions. The Attorney General may also

approve a method of equal or greater reliability and effectiveness in

identifying the specific serial number of a firearm from spent cartridge

casings discharged by that firearm than that which is set forth in this

paragraph, to be thereafter required as otherwise set forth by this

paragraph where the Attorney General certifies that this new method is

also unencumbered by any patent restrictions."

Looks like guns already on the list are still good. But, since there is something like a $200 "fee" for each model to be kept on the list (and remember, difference in color or barrel length create a different model. So, say the GP-100 comes in stainless and blued, that is two models right there, then say in 2", 3", 4", 5" and 6" versions, we are now up to ten "models.") how long will the manufacturers keep those older models on the list?

I expect that this will face multiple court challenges.

I agree with you Joe. Some of these new gun laws will be challenged in court.

HS

If you thought people were reluctant to sell to folks in California before imagine what it will be like now.

Crazy indeed - another Cali-gun-cluster law....lame, useless, and expensive.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Two seconds with a file or some judicious sanding should cure the problem of traceable brass Id'ing the gun.

That's if one is ever sold in California!

I agree just change the firing pin

Two seconds with a file or some judicious sanding should cure the problem of traceable brass Id'ing the gun.

That's if one is ever sold in California!

True.... however, if you own one and the ID microstamping becomes disabled the pistol is then considered by the state to be "Unsafe." That means you could never sell it.... now, if you're thinking of just swapping out firing pin - see below.

I agree just change the firing pin

I believe that the micro-engraving is required on both firing pin and bolt/slide face. :(

I think CRPA, Calguns, or some other group needs to challenge it on the exemption for LE. After all, without the microstamping the firearm is "unsafe." So why will every city, county, and the State have its officers carrying "unsafe" firearms?

The LE exemption granted for firearms on the list as it existed before should have been challenged too - again, should people who are required to carry a pistol every day at work be allowed in public with a firearm that the State says is unsafe?

Archived