SASS Wire Forum

So, do I need another 1897?

Doc Coles SASS 1188

I came across a 1921 mfd. 1897 riot gun (solid frame, 20 inch factory barrel marked "Cyl". There is a small white painted stripe on the stock with "Allegany Co. Detectives" written on it in ink. Its in great mechanical shape with a bright bore good blue on the barrel, but some wear on the receiver ans some stock rack wear. The fellow wants $895 for it, which is not entirely unreasonable. But do I need it? Come on, talk me into it.

Nah. Get ya a nice Hammer Double !!

Don't get me wrong, I don't shoot a 97 for SASS, just WB where you can shoot it as God intended, stoked. The single shot 97 holds no interest for me and I wouldn't use this as a match gun.

Well, I went by and talked the fellow down a bit and brought it home. Its a nice gun and pretty rare up here in Alaska. I think it would be a fun gun to get a factory letter on. If it actually went to the police, it would make it a bit more desirable.

Good find Doc Coles, hope he gave you a good deal. Short barrel solid frames are gettin' kinda hard to find. I have 7 of them, not looking for more, but when one comes along, what's a cowpoke supposed to do?

Big Jake

I just sold 5 Winchester 1897 barrels and kept one for myself. They were all from take-down models. One was a 20 1/4 inch marked CYL.

One was marked FULL and cut to 19 inch, the rest were marked FULL and 2 were 30 inch and 2 were 32 inch special order barrels.

Other than the 20 1/4 inch CYL barrels on Solid Frame and Take-down Frames, Winchester made a Brush Gun with a 26 inch CYL Bore.

I have a 1913 Mfg. 2 barreled set. A Take-down with a 30 inch FULL and a 26 inch CYL, both serialized to the Guns Frame.

Jake

Sounds like ya got a cooool '97!!!!

Yep. I took it to the Alaska WB state championships today. I didn't use it as my match gun, but tested it out and it shoots great. Much stiffer than my tuned Chicom 97, but it ran fine and holds 6 in the tube. I would have felt fine if I had to use it as a backup.

I came across a 1921 mfd. 1897 riot gun (solid frame, 20 inch factory barrel marked "Cyl". There is a small white painted stripe on the stock with "Allegany Co. Detectives" written on it in ink. Its in great mechanical shape with a bright bore good blue on the barrel, but some wear on the receiver ans some stock rack wear. The fellow wants $895 for it, which is not entirely unreasonable. But do I need it? Come on, talk me into it.

900 hundreds dollars for a shotgun that ain't got no hammers and only one barrel? Y'alls from back east ain't you?

Quick! I think I got him talked out of it...find out whos selling and offer $910 in gold....

900 hundreds dollars for a shotgun that ain't got no hammers and only one barrel? Y'alls from back east ain't you?

Quick! I think I got him talked out of it...find out whos selling and offer $910 in gold....

So, my dear friend, Matthew, how many shells can you stoke in that hammered double? :o:P;)

Uh...the Winchester 1897 has a hammer.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Uh...the Winchester 1897 has a hammer.

Sheeesshhhe... crack me up....

Phantom... heaven hep us when you take over this outfit. hehehehe

ts

Screw whether you need it. The real question should be "Do you want it?" Life's too danged short to deny yourself a few pleasures.

Hi Doc,

Model '97s are best for home defense as you can stoke the tube and it's hard to miss (with shaky hands under pressure) with a SG. You could have several planted around the home.

Regards,

Just Allie Mo

As much as I like a 97, I have some more modern things with which to repel boarders should that become an issue. What I need most of all now is a new safe. You know its getting bad when the wife says you should go down and buy another one.

Talk you into it Doc?

You rarely hear someone regret buying a good gun and holding onto it.

As long as the price isn't out of touch, they don't get cheaper than they are when you buy them.

Guns are better investments (and more fun) than a lot of things in life.

Buy a BIG new safe and enjoy....

Doc, be sure it is empty, cock the hammer, press the slide release button and rack the slide a few times. That is what ya gotta fix.

So, my dear friend, Matthew, how many shells can you stoke in that hammered double? :o:P;)

All that is needed! ;)

Archived