SASS Wire Forum

First Match Tomorrow

Judge Lewis

Looking forward to my first match tomorrow. I hope I hit enough so as to not embarrass myself. I have read on this forum about the importance of the front sight on the pistols, but I haven't mastered that on my SASS Vaqueros. Sometimes I am pretty good, sometimes really lousy. What is the correct sight picture for these? Thanks,

Blade centered in square not with top of blade flush with top of notch.

Forget about the clock. It messes up shooters new to the game.

Just have fun, be safe.

Ask questions when you have them and ask for coaching on the firing line if you forget what to do.

Oh and have Fun.

...hit enough so as to not embarrass myself. ....

Embarrass?

Just come back the next month with a diffrent name!

And yes, forget about the clock...you aint' going to be top gun the first time out of the gate....and have fun!

1) Breathe!

2) Visualize shooting the entire stage: see every shot, every step, every transition. Do it 4 - 5 times.

3) Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast

4) Be Safe

5) And as Cliffy said: Have Fun!!!

Welcome to the Insanity!

Hey Judge:

Don't forget your holsters!

That's what I did on my first match.

Just relax & have fun.

You'll do well!

--Dawg

Welcome to the madness.

Follow Uno Mas' points and you will have a pleasant outcome.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Make yourself a little check list tonight. Check everything off as you load the car.......guns, check!....ammo, check!....hat, check!...etc. DON'T drink a pot of coffee for breakfast. You'll be jittery enough anyway. Don't try to go fast, try to hit every target, take as much time as you need to aim. Breathe! Let us know how you did.

Looking forward to my first match tomorrow. I hope I hit enough so as to not embarrass myself. I have read on this forum about the importance of the front sight on the pistols, but I haven't mastered that on my SASS Vaqueros. Sometimes I am pretty good, sometimes really lousy. What is the correct sight picture for these? Thank

Determine your pistols point of aim.

Arrive early tomorrow. Ask the match director to allow you to test your pistols. Put a mark on a target then slowly try to hit that same mark. Adjust the front site to rear site to determine your preferred point of aim. Now you know where your pistols shoot for a given front to rear site relationship.

Have fun....

As has been said, you're not going to set any speed records at your first match. There is one thing you can do tomorrow that most shooters don't realize until it is too late; you can shoot clean. Take as much time as you need and do it. If it takes five minutes per stage, do it. It won't take that long, but you only have one chance to shoot your first match clean. I PROMISE, PROMISE, PROMISE that years from now when you tell people you shot your first match clean, they WILL be impressed...just like the people who will be assisting you tomorrow will be impressed. Have a good time because you'll realize in time that nobody cares how long you take to shoot a stage whether it's your first match or years down the road. Good luck and welcome to the game!

Just remember that all them other shooters will be rooting for you from the get go! Like has already been said, take your time........YEEEEHAAAA! ;)

There are two things to remember safety first and have fun. Unless you shoot three gun or another action shooting comp just listen to the RO and be safe. I had two things in mind when I shot my first stages/match not to shoot anything that shouldn't be shot and not to hurt myself or others I did this and was happy except for the sleet that dwas falling and after four or so stages I had to pack it up the hands and back could take it anymore. Good luck and have fun.

If you are shooting

Determine your pistols point of aim.

Arrive early tomorrow. Ask the match director to allow you to test your pistols. Put a mark on a target then slowly try to hit that same mark. Adjust the front site to rear site to determine your preferred point of aim. Now you know where your pistols shoot for a given front to rear site relationship.

Have fun....

If you are shooting Rugers and light loads (like hand loads or even factory Cowboy loads) they will hit low. Like Outlaw suggested sight em' in one day.........that is where you need to start. IMO they give you the tall sight for the 357 loads......since it does say 357 on the BBL. With light loads you end up with a bunch of extra steel up there.

The only way I would have placed 2nd in my class when I first started was if there was only one in the class! :lol:

Congrats, Judge

Smiles all around.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Take your time. shoot the stages as clean as you can. Let the TO know its your first match and let them assist you through the stage. Be humble and you'll get lots of help. Stay calm and breath. These are all things I didn't do at my first match and wish I had.

Great advice. Try to follow it to the best of your ability and try to enjoy yourself. Don't try to set the range on fire just make it through as safe as you can and you will be fine.

KQ

As has been said, you're not going to set any speed records at your first match. There is one thing you can do tomorrow that most shooters don't realize until it is too late; you can shoot clean. Take as much time as you need and do it. If it takes five minutes per stage, do it. It won't take that long, but you only have one chance to shoot your first match clean. I PROMISE, PROMISE, PROMISE that years from now when you tell people you shot your first match clean, they WILL be impressed...just like the people who will be assisting you tomorrow will be impressed. Have a good time because you'll realize in time that nobody cares how long you take to shoot a stage whether it's your first match or years down the road. Good luck and welcome to the game!

+1

Looking forward to my first match tomorrow. I hope I hit enough so as to not embarrass myself. I have read on this forum about the importance of the front sight on the pistols, but I haven't mastered that on my SASS Vaqueros. Sometimes I am pretty good, sometimes really lousy. What is the correct sight picture for these? Thanks,

Well...are you still grining from all the fun?

Thanks for all the replies.. I had a great time, the Dalton Gang shooters were all very patient and supportive. Great folks. I had one stage with only 2 misses, the others weren't so good. But I had a very positive experience and Slate Mike was a big help. I am hooked, no hope for me now.

Thanks for all the replies.. I had a great time, the Dalton Gang shooters were all very patient and supportive. Great folks. I had one stage with only 2 misses, the others weren't so good. But I had a very positive experience and Slate Mike was a big help. I am hooked, no hope for me now.

Glad you had a good time. Nothing more fun than changing money into smoke!

I hope all the "prospective" new shooters are reading this thread.

Nothing like coming out and giving it a try.

Anybody out there who is hanging on the sidelines, GO FOR IT. You will find the the pards at the match will be very helpful and welcoming and make sure that you are safe and have fun.

Archived