SASS Wire Forum

NEW: Colt SAA 4 3/4", 45 cal from Colt Custom Shop

Thought I would share these pics of the Colt SAA that I received today from Colt after 15 months since the order was placed;It was worth the wait!( By the way, the Colt Custom Shop will not accept any new orders for 1911's or SAA's)

Hard Chrome Finish,Fire Blue Appointments, Black Powder Frame,45 cal,1st gen rollmarks,One Piece Ivory Grips

By the way, as most of you know, I have collected and dealt in Custom Shop Colts regularly for the past 11 years(and antiques..All Colt SAA's and 1911's)..This new Colt is without question the absolute finest work i have seen in a 3rd gen Colt SAA! Fit and Finish are Flawless! This Colt is mine..not for sale! ;):) This Colt is part of my personal collection.

NOTE: In picture #3, the bright hard chrome finish is so 'mirror like' you can see the image of myself as i was taking the picture!

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/sixgunshorty35717/media/034.jpg.html

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/sixgunshorty35717/media/027.jpg.html

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/sixgunshorty35717/media/032.jpg.html

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/sixgunshorty35717/media/029.jpg.html

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/sixgunshorty35717/media/028.jpg.html

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/sixgunshorty35717/media/034-1.jpg.html

looks like a polished stainless vaquero with imitation plastic grips. in picture one you can clearly see the photo is being taken by a cyclpos.

Enjoy it Scott, you deserve it.

Thanks Jeff..I think!

Very nice!!

One question; where did you find the plastic stand you used to position your Colt?

Kind regards,

Padrino

I bought several of them a few years ago from a company i found on the internet that sells gun stands, rifle racks and various firearm display pieces.I can not remember the name of the firm, but if you google rifle racks or gun display stands you can find them..they are fairly common and i have used them for gun shows, photographing guns,and displaying pistols

You waited 15 months and only got ONE

Very nice

hahahahahaha

I have a few other Colts....

This Custom Colt was not exactly 'bargain basement' priced!

If I had known at the time I ordered it that Colt would stop accepting custom shop orders, I would have ordered a dozen!

At 65, I don't intend to ever wait for anything again, much less 15 months for a revolver!

Is Cogan still doing Colt's hard chromw

That I have no idea, except that the plater that Colt had used for many years was ditched about 2 years ago.I never followed up on who is doing the plating,only that Colt would stand behind it.The ivory grips are now done by Paul Persinger.

This is my second hard chrome Colt, the other being a 1911 Special Combat Government.I have several of nickel Colts, but none of them have the 'sheen and brightness of the hard chrome finish, plus the hard chrome is nearly indestructible and reputedly will hold up better than stainless..it certainly polishes much brighter than stainless

Colt only started offering hard chrome on SAA's about 1 1/2 years ago and only through the custom shop

There has not been a new commercial Colt SAA for stocking dealers and otherwise in over 2+ years now.

Are ya going put a Super Black Hawk hammer on it?

Spittoon[/quote

hahahahaha

I rather doubt it!

I might put some fake pearl grips on it though instead of the cheesy ivory for

A better look and use my grinder to shape a birds head grip on it to

Enhance the value!

Back orders too high? Or are they phaseing them out again? :huh::blush:

Back orders are monumental according to Colt at least for SAA's which is why they are not taking new

Orders

As for 1911's however, the reason Colt has suspended custom shop production is

Due to the Marine contract Colt received for a huge order for 1911's

As for SAA's also, as far as I know, there are no everyday,plain vanilla SAA's being made,

Whatsoever.If they resume production, the SAA will only be available in 45 colt and .357

Other calibers will only be available through the Custom Shop and they are not taking orders at all.

The bulk of the production problem is due to the Marine contract ,at least for1911's and not producing

SAA's as a result of focusing all efforts On the Marine contract.

18 posts and not 1 cowboy asked the most important question....Are you going to Shoot it? With the nearly indestructible hard chrome finish, it shouldn't hurt it at all. I'd have it out to the range in a Heartbeat. Colt makes Guns to Shoot. Chief Dan George had a piece of red hard rock candy, not for eating ....just for looking through. Colt doesn't make eye Candy....go shoot it. Doubles your pleasure...owning and shooting. You ride your Indians and Harleys don't you?

Big Jake

18 posts and not 1 cowboy asked the most important question....Are you going to Shoot it? With the nearly indestructible hard chrome finish, it shouldn't hurt it at all. I'd have it out to the range in a Heartbeat. Colt makes Guns to Shoot. Chief Dan George had a piece of red hard rock candy, not for eating ....just for looking through. Colt doesn't make eye Candy....go shoot it. Doubles your pleasure...owning and shooting. You ride your Indians and Harleys don't you?

Big Jake

I'm just south of 66...Of course I am going to shoot it!

Last time i looked they don't have holsters in coffins!

...As for SAA's also, as far as I know, there are no everyday,plain vanilla SAA's being made,

Whatsoever.If they resume production, the SAA will only be available in 45 colt and .357

Other calibers will only be available through the Custom Shop and they are not taking orders at all....

I talked to Joe Canali from Colt at the Mounted championship in Tunica recently. I asked him if SAA's were being made. He said he gets an email daily indicating quantities and models that are completed each day. He showed me the email from the previous day, and there were 17 guns listed. Several of them were New Frontiers. So depending on how many backorders there are, at this rate it may take a good while to catch up.

I talked to Joe Canali from Colt at the Mounted championship in Tunica recently. I asked him if SAA's were being made. He said he gets an email daily indicating quantities and models that are completed each day. He showed me the email from the previous day, and there were 17 guns listed. Several of them were New Frontiers. So depending on how many backorders there are, at this rate it may take a good while to catch up.

Joe and I are old pals going back to his days in the Custom Shop before Archives.

Great guy and a great person to know, especially if you are a Colt person.

Joe's help has been an invaluable aid in my Colt Business

Of course SAA's are being built, mostly , as i understand it, custom shop backorders (by the way..please take my comments re Colt's as my personal take on what's happening at Colt, not from any one fact or factory, comment, per se....just several years of dealing direct with Colt's and staying in touch with them plus of course ordering custom Colt's)

that have stacked up and gone from 18 weeks estimated delivery time to 6 months to 8 months 18 months, and now they are accepting no new orders .Period.In order, I am sure , to catch up on order backlogs,

What i am referring to is that the biggest Wholesalers in the Industry have received no new Colts for retail sale in 2 years +

Whatever, that's Colt's, if you know what i mean

I've said here for years that buy a new 3rd gen Colt, shoot it all you want, take care of it and you will never lose a dime on your investment.Less SAA's are made each year.Those 3rd gens that used to take up about 64 page son Gunbroker, for instance, are now 2 pages.Simply put, you have no idea how difficult it is to find new 3rd gen Colts now, not to mention 2nds and 1sts, which there are probably more for sale than 2nds or 3rds on the secondary market,modern and antique.

But i can tell you that the Custom Shop is producing the finest fitting and finished Colt SAA's that i have seen from Colt's period.

Just spectacular work.Craftsmanship is alive and well at Colt's.

Much more rewarding to invest in Colt's than in the market...with much better returns and you can have fun making $$ on your investment..and play cool fantasy games with guns , i.e. SASS!

Shorty - Very nicely done!!

How does it shoot?

BTW - I bought a .44/40 Storekeepers model last year made by the Custom Shop.

Everything's perfect on it and will display it on this Website when I get my stag grips put on it.

Are ya going put a Super Black Hawk hammer on it?

Spittoon[/quote

hahahahaha

I rather doubt it!

I might put some fake pearl grips on it though instead of the cheesy ivory for

A better look and use my grinder to shape a birds head grip on it to

Enhance the value!

You do & I'll come out there & shoot you. ;):D

Howdy Sixgun,

Odd that you post this just as my ruger .45 convertible comes back from being tuned.

Its stainless with those reddish ruger wood grips.

Its the Original not the new revised one.

It does have the sbh hammer and just turns so smooth and sweet.

The 45acp cylinder has two lines goin around so they are hard to miss when loadin.

5.5 barrel which matches my other 357 rvs.

Birdshead grips?? Now there is an idea.....

Best

CR

I saw this coming some years ago and posted right here on this site that you had better buy while you could. I bought ever Colt SSA that I could find if priced right. Consecitive serial numbers included new in the blue box. I dont even know how many I have in My safes but I feel they are super investments.

The hardest I tried to find was consecitive serial numbered 44-40s. Not one dealer had any luck.

SixGun Shorty is the Colt Man in My opinon and has always given us the most accutate information on Colt as well as other brands.

Your Pard, Texas Man

I saw this coming some years ago and posted right here on this site that you had better buy while you could. I bought ever Colt SSA that I could find if priced right. Consecitive serial numbers included new in the blue box. I dont even know how many I have in My safes but I feel they are super investments.

The hardest I tried to find was consecitive serial numbered 44-40s. Not one dealer had any luck.

SixGun Shorty is the Colt Man in My opinon and has always given us the most accutate information on Colt as well as other brands.

Your Pard, Texas Man

Thanks Texas Man

But you have forgotten more about Colts than I'll ever know!

New 3rds are nearly impossible to find, particularly at a deal.

Average price on the secondary market(which is all there is) is approaching $2000 for a plain vanilla new in box

3rd gen in the Colt"s blue box....if you can find them

The entire price structure of current and collectible Colts is changing and going up

The days of finding ANY new Colt at a deal is long gone.

And forget custom orders....those are history for now and for the conceivable future, but I doubt forever...

Insiders have mentioned that Colt's is considering a move to Nevada and out of CT as the NE grows increasingly gun unfriendly and expensive to do business.

And more heavily unionized(with the President's help) which has plagued Colt's for years.

Can't confirm this industry rumor, but it would be a good move for Colt's IMHO , as Nevada is a right to work state(there are NO right to work states in the Northeast)

With tax incentive free trade zones attractive to manufacturers.

Whatever happens, hang on to those Colts....no matter what Colt you have by the way, from SAA's to 1911's and all Colt

Revolvers and autos for that matter will only be that much better an investment.

Hint: There are still good values to be had in late first gen SAA's and used 2nd gens.

Stay way from refinished 1st or 2nd gens.The real appreciation is in Original Colts only....collectors won't normally

Even consider a refinished Colt. Original boxes and factory documents (hang tags, test targets,owners manuals, etc)can add 20-25-% plus to the value of any Colt

Tip: If you own a Colt SAA,, contact Joe Canali at Colt's Archives and get them lettered!

Good tip Sixgun Shorty. I have 3 Colt single actions, 3 Colt double actions and 1 Colt Lightning Rifle. I should get them lettered.

Big Jake

Archived