SASS Wire Forum

"Throws like a girl" isn't all that funny when we're talking about hand grenades, eh?

Subdeacon Joe

The weapons instructor did a good job pushing the new recruit into the pit, I thought.

I hated grenade training in basic, it's always a bad sign when the drill instructors stop yelling. It was also very disconcerting to see all the grenade fragment marks on the exterior window of the observation bunker the rest of us waited in while the drill instructor and the recruit were out there throwing the grenades.

Guest Two Fingers Slim

As with all "grenade pits" they have a trench dug around the interior perimeter in order to "kick" the dropped frag into. This will direct the fragmantions (if this a word) upwards and should protect anyone lying prone. However it's loud as hell, and will cause a pucker factor of 10, even for those who do this training on a regular bases. I personaly loved throwing grenades.

TFS

Boys, just take a close look at that video again. It looks to me like the DI's were actually grabbing her just before she threw the grenade and had a little head start toward the trench as soon as she let fly.

Might just have been staged as a training film exercise.

Just sayin'.

Boys, just take a close look at that video again. It looks to me like the DI's were actually grabbing her just before she threw the grenade and had a little head start toward the trench as soon as she let fly.

Might just have been staged as a training film exercise.

Just sayin'.

I'm thinking that they have had trainees fall into the pit because they get off balance and are always ready to grab. Watch the video of the guy, the DI sets himself, ready to pull the boot back and starts to reach for him before Mr. Grenade makes his return.

I hated grenade training in basic, it's always a bad sign when the drill instructors stop yelling. It was also very disconcerting to see all the grenade fragment marks on the exterior window of the observation bunker the rest of us waited in while the drill instructor and the recruit were out there throwing the grenades.

Not my favorite part of basic, either.

In Vietnam, we had two kinds of Grenades, Football shaped and Baseball shaped. We would see if we could throw one so FAR..it would explode before it hit the ground. Fuses were somewhere around 3 1/2 to 5 seconds before the BOOM. Remembering how in High School, I could throw a softball 110 yards (yes 330 feet) I pulled the pin and chucked one as FAR as I could. KerPlush into the Rice Paddy, then BOOM! I grabbed another one an did it again, this time it went KaBoom in the air before hitting the Water. It was the round baseball type...more aerodynamic I guess...or a shorter Fuse.

Jake

Archived