SASS Wire Forum

Favorite powder to reload CAS 38 spl and 45LC

Deacon Tim # 98275

Clays for the .38 and .45 Colt.

Clays for the Cowboy .45 Special also.

Bullseye for the .32 H&R Mag (Cowboy stuff)

..........Widder

.32 H&R Mag....come on Widder, you been hanging around Roughneck Rod too much :)

I don't always shoot smokeless in my 38s and 45s. But when I do, I shoot Clays.

Keep shooting, my friend.

Branchwater Jack, the most interesting cowboy shooter in the world.......good one, my friend :D

Clays or trailboss if you want slower loads. HP38,231,or unique for more horsepower. Tight group for the top of the scale. These are all good powders and you will not be disappointed.

Get a 5 pound can of clays and use it for everything including shotgun. A good way to start.

I was able to get quite a bit of Bullseye. So, at least for the time being, Bullseye is my go to powder.

Quite frankly I am not to picky with powder, primers, brass, or bullets; if it keeps me shooting I am happy. :)

I've been using Hogdon Clays (NOT "Universal Clays") exclusively for 18 years for both 38 spl & 45 Colt as well as some other pistol calibers. It's a very clean burning powder & makes for a much easier clean up after a match as opposed to some other powders.

I don't always shoot smokeless in my 38s and 45s. But when I do, I shoot Clays.

Keep shooting, my friend.

Hahahahahahahahah. That is awesome

For cowboy action? Trail Boss

Has the component and ammo shortage shown any signs of easing yet in the U.S.?

Locally, yes. Some primers and powder are finding their way to bare shelves. One can buy .22s from online retailers again. I could have bought 24 lbs of Trail boss last night if I wanted it.

When the world is not upside down and you can get it, Clays will load everything cowboy, cartridges (that you listed) and shotgun. It is also one of the least expensive...although the variation in cost between the most expensive powder vs. the least expensive is likely under a dollar a match.

With the economy the way it is, save yourself some money. Forget about the loading books, just fill em up with Goex and put a bullet on top. Mine have been dubbed the elephant fart loads by Grizzly Dave. Nothing better than smoking up the range and clearing out your sinuses at the same time. Works equally well for all calibers :)

Remember they cant say you missed if they cant see you missed.

TRM

BULLSEYE for 38's

Trailboss in my .45 Long colt. Hopefully I can get some more if not I think I will be using Bullseye

Hey Kid, I have used Vihta Voura N320 for years. I load 45 and 38 with it. Good results. Get in touch with me and maybe I can help you out. I have some extra and not reloading much right now.

Not on here much so maybe an email. laserhound@att.net

RNH,

Noticed VV320 not even mentioed in Possums list and I was about to chime in then at post #43 you dropped the hint. I used it for quit some time in 38s,as did Handlebar Doc and Longhunter. Good choice. For some reason I drifted away from it a number of years ago when I got more into bp. I tried TG but thought the bark a little sharpe for my ears then TB seemed to need a more heavier of load than I wanted to be accurate. For smokeless shooting I now use the choice of many in above posts, Clays. In bp, I am a fan of Cowboy Goex for my 38s, and for 12 G. But there will be no more of it once my supply is gone as it has been dropped from being made, I also like 777 FFg for bp.

Promo Powder (Think of it as budget Red Dot from the same company, Alliant) is my everything Cowboy powder. From 32 to 45 to shotgun. Best of all, it's about 1/2 the price per load of Trail Boss. And you don't get the unburned powder like Trail Boss.

Another Clays fan here. I've been using it for 10 years in my .45 Colt cases. It produces a real mellow load that you can shoot all day. I've been getting approx. 650-700 Fps from my pistols and just under 1,000 Fps from my rifle using Clays. Also it's proven to be a very accurate load at these velocities (at least at SASS distances!!). Your actual mileage may vary.

Archived