SASS Wire Forum

Top Beverage of the Old West

Well, over on the wire the Top Gun of the Old West was decided.

Now it's time to come to the Saloon and have a beverage of choice.

Sip & Spit game.

Let’s pick the “Top Beverage of the Old West" from the list below.

(Yes, I know I’ve left some important beverages out, so please don’t beat me up too bad, and please use the list below. Fresh Water was intentionally left off because...well...you know why.)

The “Sip & Spit" rules:

1. Copy the list from the entry immediately above your next (ie the last entry on the thread) post, and paste as a new comment. All beverages taking part start with a score of 10.
  2. You must Spit TWO beverages (must be 2 different) by reducing their score by 1.
  3. You must Sip ONE beverage by increasing its score by 1.
  4. (So after the first round 1 beverage will be on 11, 2 will be on 9, and the rest will still be on 10)
  5. Note at the top of the list what you are doing.
  6. If you take away the last point, mark it as KO (instead of 0) - these come off the list.
  7. You may not take part again until at least 3 other people have had a go (comments, interjections etc. do not count).
  8. Sip & Spit game will end when there are only two beverages left. Of the final two beverages, the beverage with the highest score will be declared the "Top Beverage of the Old West."

The List:

10 - Beer

10 - Cider

10 - Coffee

10 - Lemonade

10 - Milk

10 - Sarsaparilla

10 - Tea

10 - Tequila

10 - Whiskey

10 - Wine

what, no water?

Grizz, water was intentionally left off because without fresh water there would be no other beverages. With no water there'd be no Old West.

However, if you'd like to add "Water from the Hoof Print".... :P

Sip: Coffee

Spit: Milk

Spit: Lemonaide

10 - Beer

10 - Cider

11- Coffee

9- Lemonade

8 - Milk

10 - Sarsaparilla

9 - Tea

11 - Tequila

10 - Whiskey

10 - Wine

11 - Beer

10 - Cider

11- Coffee

9- Lemonade

7 - Milk

10 - Sarsaparilla

8 - Tea

11 - Tequila

10 - Whiskey

10 - Wine

Sip: Beer

Spit: Tea

Sip: Sarsaparilla

Spit: Beer

Spit: Tea

10 - Beer

10 - Cider

11- Coffee

9- Lemonade

7 - Milk

11 - Sarsaparilla

7 - Tea

11 - Tequila

10 - Whiskey

10 - Wine

The List:

11 - Beer

10 - Cider

11 - Coffee

8 - Lemonade

6 - Milk

11 - Sarsaparilla

6 - Tea

11 - Tequila

10 - Whiskey

10 - Wine

Sip: BEER
Spit: TEQUILA
Spit: LEMONADE
BEER= Most of the pilgrims going west were from Centeral or Northern Europe. Beer was a common drink from those regions, as well as wine. But grapes was not so widespread as grain.
Tequila comes from cactus juice, a far southern crop, as well as lemons for lemonade.
Milk was commonplace but most men folks didn't drink it in great quantities.
Whiskeys were more of a regional thing depending on grains that were grown in the area.
Remember, transportation was not like it is today.

Sip- coffee

spit -beer

spit milk

10 - Beer

10 - Cider

12- Coffee

8 - Lemonade

5 - Milk

11 - Sarsaparilla

6 - Tea

11 - Tequila

10 - Whiskey

10 - Wine

Beer is a very complex brew to produce.

Anyting that produces a sugar will make wine, whiskey or takillya.

That was my first thought, too, Grizz. No one ever wrote a song about...and Eddie Arnold never sang about...cool, clear anything on the list.

Well, ya know what fish do in water.........

I still can't do the math but based on my readings I think that beer was actually the king of beverages in the Old West. That's my opinion and I'm stickin to it! ;)

Bird dog, ya forgot all that snake oil such as Kickapoo Blood, Stomach, and Liver Elixir. Mighty popular stuff among the temperent and not so temperent.

Yellow tent, I did have Snake Oil on my draft list. Also had Buttermilk. Plus Fresh Water and Water from a Hoof Print.

But these were edited out and I'm not a liberty say by whom because it's under ongoing criminal investigation.

Seriously, I have to go with Bob on what was actually drank more. Before pasteurization and refrigeration, beer had to be made locally. I'm willing to be that there were just a slew of local breweries out West that served only their home town and surrounding region. As somebody pointed out, there were a lot of European immigrants in the West that knew how to make beer and were used to drinking a LOT of it (considering how bad the water in Europe was back then, I wouldn't have wanted to drink it either).

I just don't like beer or wine and don't really like cider but will have some on occasion to be sociable. I can do without drinking milk. Not much of a coffee drinker past a cup first thing in the morning. Like tea, sasaparilla, lemonade, whiskey, and tequila.

Sip: Coffee

Spit: beer

9 - Beer

10 - Cider

14- Coffee

8 - Lemonade

3 - Milk

11 - Sarsaparilla

5 - Tea

11 - Tequila

10 - Whiskey

10 - Wine

I think it's possible that we are selling tea short. Easily portable, non spoiling and easy to prepare. Had been around for a long time.

I watched a science channel short on tequila production and that looked way too complicated and requires the presence of aguave cactus. Not available except in the far south of the US.

What Noz said about tea has a lot of merit. Tea trade with the Far East was prominent on the west coast. They even built fast tall ships to deliver it. But delivery into the interior was difficult at the time. And the west coast was thinly settled at the time. San Francisco was probably the most important seaport during that era. LA, Portland and Seattle were mostly little villages with a lumber or farming exports to offer. Gold in Alaska put Seattle on the map, The Columbia river put Portland on the map and the good Lord only knows what put LA on the map, maybe Hollywood. Sorry about that you southern California folks.

Transportation was the big issue with libations.

Water was available everywhere, or in most places for distilling, brewing or concocting most any thing you could ferment or mix.

Settlers and early residents were limited to what could be grown to mix with the water.

With the early explorers and hunters, they probably brought their supply of libations with them and drank mostly water.

The settlers that came usually had a garden or some crop that would produce libations. But grain was more abundant than grapes, or cactus. So I am guessing that beer or whiskey was more widely consumed.

One summer when I was 15, I was a hired as a plow boy out in the panhandle of Oklahoma. Sitting on a tractor all day in the hot Oklahoma sun, I learned real quick that sweet coffee and sweet tea created cottonmouth. To this day, I drink my coffee and tea without sugar.

Rye...

ts

+1.................The most common whiskey on the western frontier.

Rye

I hear in my brain Tex Ritter singin'...

Rye whiskey, rye whiskey, rye whiskey I cry

If rye whiskey don't kill me, I'll live till I die

to continue.....If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck, I'd go to the bottom and never come up"

spit: Coffee

sip: Tequila

spit: Wine

9 - Beer

10 - Cider

14 - Coffee

8 - Lemonade

3 - Milk

11 - Sarsaparilla

5 - Tea

11 - Tequila

10 - Whiskey