SASS Wire Forum

After an extended period (like since Watergate) of being disappointed by the apparent bias of the media, the last few days (after the news of the AP telephone record seizures by the DOJ, as well as the new info breaking re Benghazi and the IRS targeted investigations) have begun to restore my faith and hope for a real independent spirit in professional journalism.

Two months ago, I never would have expected to have seen an interview like this on CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t3#/video/bestoftv/2013/05/13/exp-tsr-issa-benghazi.cnn

Cross your fingers if you believe in the Fourth Estate and the Republic.

LL

Great timing, the 2012 election is done, dump all this stuff now, get it out of the system before the 2014 election.

Call me cynical, but I don't expect anything to come of this and I don't expect that the media scrutiny will be sustained.

Yep, great timing! I do wish the snooping at AP had included MSNBC. Matthews would blow up like a toad frog and explode.

Great timing, the 2012 election is done, dump all this stuff now, get it out of the system before the 2014 election.

Call me cynical, but I don't expect anything to come of this and I don't expect that the media scrutiny will be sustained.

+1

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Prof:

Actually, the fact that we are not in an election cycle adds some credence to the reports - As Issa pointed out, "The election is over", and it's harder to dismiss these stories as just "political mudslinging".

It may die down and go out with a whisper....but I'm hoping not. We've had two full generations attend "journalism schools" since Bernstein and Woodward became the heroes of "investigative journalism"; they brought down a President, and everyone in the newsrooms puffed up with pride...and then promptly forgot what objectivity meant. I'm hoping that someone is finally remembering what an independent press means in a free society.

LL

Prof:

Actually, the fact that we are not in an election cycle adds some credence to the reports - As Issa pointed out, "The election is over", and it's harder to dismiss these stories as just "political mudslinging".

It may die down and go out with a whisper....but I'm hoping not. We've had two full generations attend "journalism schools" since Bernstein and Woodward became the heroes of "investigative journalism"; they brought down a President, and everyone in the newsrooms puffed up with pride...and then promptly forgot what objectivity meant. I'm hoping that someone is finally remembering what an independent press means in a free society.

LL

That would be great - but CNN has the president's back more than an independent journalist faction should.

That would be great - but CNN has the president's back more than an independent journalist faction should.

GG:

That may be; but Fox has more "attack dog" melodrama than an "independent journalist" should...and neither alternative produces the desired effect. In my humble view, both sides have failed to investigate the actions of the government and report FACTS - not rumor, not innuendo, not politically slanted cover stories. For me, this interview was a breath of fresh air (although I wish Wolf would say less and listen more) from a news outlet that has been buried so far up the left's posterior that people in the White House exclaim "Blitzer!" when they sneeze. I hope the trend continues.

LL

GG:

That may be; but Fox has more "attack dog" melodrama than an "independent journalist" should...and neither alternative produces the desired effect. In my humble view, both sides have failed to investigate the actions of the government and report FACTS - not rumor, not innuendo, not politically slanted cover stories. For me, this interview was a breath of fresh air (although I wish Wolf would say less and listen more) from a news outlet that has been buried so far up the left's posterior that people in the White House exclaim "Blitzer!" when they sneeze. I hope the trend continues.

LL

Isn't this thread about CNN - if you feel compelled to bring Fox into it they have been much more independent than CNN in this issue....they have been reporting on Benghazi since day one - CNN has been the lapdog of the president in the fake video reasoning rhetoric.

I agree, Loophole. We'll see if some journalists can actually break out of their torpor and stand up straight instead of leaning over so far.

Yep, great timing! I do wish the snooping at AP had included MSNBC. Matthews would blow up like a toad frog and explode.

Sam, I don't think we really want to encourage the government to increase the scope of their illegal "snooping" just because its an organization or individual we don't care for. Using that criteria, it wouldn't be long before someone was plowing thru your or my phone records, bank accounts, e-mails, etc. If that don't give ya the cold screamin' shivers, it should!

I agree, Loophole. We'll see if some journalists can actually break out of their torpor and stand up straight instead of leaning over so far.

Thats the hope....but maybe that's a pipe dream....

GG

Thats the hope....but maybe that's a pipe dream....

GG

I always have hope. The fact that I'm still breathing keeps it alive.

I can't imagine a life so dark that hope is merely a pipe dream.

I have hope that my country will survive and thrive. I will not give in to cynicism and gloom. I am a realist, not a fatalist. I understand things will never be the same as they were. That is the nature of life. Nothing stays the same. But until they put me in the ground I will keep hope alive.

I have hope that my country will survive and thrive. I will not give in to cynicism and gloom. I am a realist, not a fatalist. I understand things will never be the same as they were. That is the nature of life. Nothing stays the same. But until they put me in the ground I will keep hope alive.

Good...same here.

As mentioned: That's the hope ;)

BTW: my pipe dream comment was about journalist/journalism ...not life itself ;)

Romans 5: 1-5....

GG~ :FlagAm:

Thank you, Bob, for stating it so eloquently and succinctly.

Thank you, Bob, for stating it so eloquently and succinctly.

He got the same fortune Cookie as I did :D...but I reckon poets (or pomers?) know how to piece words together. ;)

It was nice.

GG~ :FlagAm:

Archived