SASS Wire Forum

.38-50 Rifle...Hard to fin brass?

Long Branch Louie

Fella has a very ice rolling block that was custom built on a Remington Rolling block with a Green Mountain barrel and chambered in .38-50. Now I'm familiar with .38-55, and there's plenty of stuff around for it, but is .38-50 stuff common? Is there a difference in .38-50 Ballard and .38-50 Remington? Just curious if anybody has any knowledge on this caliber.....

The 38-50 Cartridge was introduced in 1883 as one of the chambered for the Remington - Hepburn match rifles. it was to similar to the popular 38-55.to gain much of a following and was discontinued after a few years.

Loades for the 38-55 can be applied for this cartridge.

255 or 250 lead bullet.

cases can be formed from 303 British or 30-40 Krag.

Cartridges of the world.11th edition

There was also a 38-50 Ballard that was introduced in 1876 for the Ballard Perfect NO. 4.

it is a heavier case than the 38-55, thus the name Everlasting.

it was replaced in 1884 when the 38-55 was replaced .

cases can be made by shorting 38-55 cases 3/16

lyman molds are available from 150 grs to 300 grs.

There was also a 38-50 Maynard there is no performance difference than the 38-55.

for this cartridge you have to trim 38-55 to the correct size.

This is probable more information than you wanted.

pick up a copy of Cartridges of the World great magazine.

Bailey Creek

Louie, have I seen your post somewhere else?

Anyway, the 38-50 is a Ballard 'Everlasting' cartridge created in 1876

You can make your own cases using 9.3x73R brass, cut to length and FL size in the Ballard die. Chamfer and ID neck if required. The case length is 2.00". Barnes has the loading data - send them an email for it

Louie, have I seen your post somewhere else?

Anyway, the 38-50 is a Ballard 'Everlasting' cartridge created in 1876

You can make your own cases using 9.3x73R brass, cut to length and FL size in the Ballard die. Chamfer and ID neck if required. The case length is 2.00". Barnes has the loading data - send them an email for it

John Boy, this was the only place I posted it. The rifle is on the BPCR.net site. It's nice, but I decided to go with a 45-70 I found since I'm already setup for it. I was just curious because I never heard of .38-50. Thanks everybody for the info....

Archived