SASS Wire Forum

New Winchester 73?

Looks like this thread ought to be moved to the Wire....don't seem like a Classfied ad to me.

Bull feathers! I have one of these, and they are hands down better in quality than the Uberti. They are NOT copies of the Italian 73. You need to get your facts straight before you post such nonsense. IMHO! :lol:

Not to rile you too much Griz, but the Italian '73 IS a copy of the original Winchester, WITH some mods to make them safe and saleable in the US, JUST as the JapChester is.. Read the write up in the Chronical, and they say it has mods to the original design as well. It is a nice rifle, but it is high priced, in an already saturated market, 'course, there are always folks that have to have the latest toys, and I guess if your budget will support the yens, go for it!! They also said they didn't know if any current aftermarket parts will work to make them compatible with the SASS shooters desires. (A whole new aftermarket niche).

Time will tell.

I just wish someone IN the US would make "real" rifles and pistols of the era, but this won't happen.

Al

As I stated: I am going to give my opinion just cause it makes me feel better not because I am passing judgement on The Kids desire to purchase a nicely
made 73

I always try to buy American when possible. But as to the other nations my feelings toward buying Japanese Firearms are stated and are related to my Father and his experiences.

To me it was just a short while ago that the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.

Yes I have no love of German firearms or cars or British cars good god have they ever made one worth crap. I drove a Rolls Royce for a fella I worked for for a couple of years and the only thing good about it was the GM transmission.

And as far as I am concerned I can not think or one item made in France that I just have to have, can't wait to buy.

But none of that has anything to do with my statement.

You can go buy whtaever Japanese rifle you want as I stated I am not passing judgement but you go right ahead and do so.

Its a free country.

My dad served in the Pacific during WWII. I lost an uncle at Iwo Jima. Another uncle served in Europe.

Germany+ Italy+Japan= So who do you buy from if you're still holding a grudge??

Kinda like blaming us Southern boys or us blaming Yanks for what happened a century and a half ago!! :rolleyes::lol:

Looks like this thread ought to be moved to the Wire....don't seem like a Classfied ad to me.

Maybe the Saloon is a better place.

Thanks for all the replies. Yeah it got a little off topic and maybe I should have posted the question on the Wire and not classified. But I did find what I was looking for on Gunbroker. Muchas Gracias.

And I do hope the rifle comes out in 44-40. I have two original antique 73's in 44-40 and would like to add a new one in that caliber.

Thanks for all the replies. Yeah it got a little off topic and maybe I should have posted the question on the Wire and not classified. But I did find what I was looking for on Gunbroker. Muchas Gracias.

And I do hope the rifle comes out in 44-40. I have two original antique 73's in 44-40 and would like to add a new one in that caliber.

The 44-40 will be available in the fall of '13. (Per the Winchester rep at the NRA meeting in Houston).

My dad served in the Pacific during WWII. I lost an uncle at Iwo Jima. Another uncle served in Europe.

Germany+ Italy+Japan= So who do you buy from if you're still holding a grudge??

Kinda like blaming us Southern boys or us blaming Yanks for what happened a century and a half ago!! :rolleyes::lol:

Thats right I do blame the Yanks for what they did in the War of Northern Aggression.

Please forgive a question about Winchester 73's. Am I completely off my rocker or did I read that 45 colt BP blanks would feed and could be fired in 44/40's? Additionally, I thought I read they were actually cleaner in the long run....for those of us interested in Mounted Shooting? It could be wishful thinking. Duck Hawk

Five-in-one blanks were originally made to be fired in 38-40, 44-40 and 45 Colt pistols and rifles. The newer ones are made to fit 44 Mag and 44 Specials, as well. As far as I remember they were corrosive, although the newer ones made not be.

The 5 in 1 blanks I used in re enactments were plastic cased and used just a large primer for sound, but I believe Mounted blanks use a small charge of B/P, and therefore would be corrosive.

Al

They called it the War of Northern Aggression for a reason!

LOL, the Uberti is an Italian copy of original Winchester 1873. Just what is your humble opinion based on? Have you fired a Miroku/Winchester? Have you handled one? Have you even set eyes on one? Where do you think the most popular double shotgun in our game (SKB) was made?

I'm a soon to be retired FFL/SOT dealer and long time cowboy shooter and i have bought and sold and competed with many Miroku built Winchesters, and Ubertis

I can attest to the fact that Miroku makes only the highest quality guns that when compared to a Uberti anything, makes the Uberti look inferior in every way which it is.

If you think Uberti makes a superior rifle, you are living in a fools paradise.Ubertis are only even close to good when extensively modified by a gunsmith.

Italian steel is inferior as is the fitting of components including stock and forend and the finish..Ubertis have been 'good' only because the other cowboy rifles offered have been limited to brands even inferior to Uberti and was the only '73 repop available for quite a while.The Uberti was all there was.

Now there is an alternative...Winchester!

Browning, Winchester all have their rifles and shotguns made by Miroku.

I would much rather have a '73 replica with the Winchester name rather than Uberti along with several dozen proof marks and hideous red stained wood!

Uberti can't play on the same field as anything made by Miroku!

Uberti or Winchester? Which one will be desirable and worth its selling price in 25 years? Certainly not the Uberti !

I'm a soon to be retired FFL/SOT dealer and long time cowboy shooter and i have bought and sold and competed with many Miroku built Winchesters, and Ubertis

I can attest to the fact that Miroku makes only the highest quality guns that when compared to a Uberti anything, makes the Uberti look inferior in every way which it is.

If you think Uberti makes a superior rifle, you are living in a fools paradise.Ubertis are only even close to good when extensively modified by a gunsmith.

Italian steel is inferior as is the fitting of components including stock and forend and the finish..Ubertis have been 'good' only because the other cowboy rifles offered have been limited to brands even inferior to Uberti and was the only '73 repop available for quite a while.The Uberti was all there was.

Now there is an alternative...Winchester!

Browning, Winchester all have their rifles and shotguns made by Miroku.

I would much rather have a '73 replica with the Winchester name rather than Uberti along with several dozen proof marks and hideous red stained wood!

Uberti can't play on the same field as anything made by Miroku!

Uberti or Winchester? Which one will be desirable and worth its selling price in 25 years? Certainly not the Uberti !

LOL,

I think you need to read the whole thread Sixgun. Al Overa was criticizing the Miroku made Winchester and I was questioning the basis for his criticism, not criticizing it myself. I know Miroku makes good guns, that's why I plan on buying one of the new Winchesters.

I had a chance to look at this for several days as my booth at Elk Foundation was right next to Winchester/Browning. It's a darn nice box-stock gun. With a bit of Cowboys and Indians/ Codymatic/PGW magic I'm sure it will be a fine addition to our choices.

It's pretty smooth right from the git/go altho the lever throw is a bit more than I'm used to, it definitely ran as I got used to dryfiring it every morning. The safety/ extension is sorta different, but I'm thinking that one of our cowboy smiths will figure that out right quick.

There is a definite difference in finish on the wood and I think the basic overall fitment is more like what you would expect if you've ever seen a Miroku Browning. Maybe this will make our Italian friends step their game up a little.

I'm leaning toward getting one after the tinkering begins....

Archived