SASS Wire Forum

Your opinion wanted - Shotgun only stage at an annual

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Works for me.You write it Possum and I will like it.

It's been done before. I remember a stage where there were 15-20 targets. Short barreled doubles could run and shoot the semi-circled targets.

I just stood there loading 6 in the 1897 and shooting with a 30 inch FULL choke, load 6 more and shot all the targets without taking a step.

Jake

I personally would love such a stage, however I also recognize that there are some older and smaller shooters who may not like shooting that many shotgun shells all at once.

I am older and smaller and I would be fine with 10 or 12 or more shotgun.I also have had my shoulder work on the 23 of june and It would still be ok with me.

Illowa Irregulars at Milan Illinois have routinely had an all-shotgun stage of the 10 stages at the 2-day Fall Roundup. About 14-16 rounds with KD's, KD's that trigger clay fliers, pop or beer cans, and stationary claybird holders as make-ups for the flier misses. Great fun in my and many others' opinion, including our antique shooters.

Beware of an issue with BlackPowder loads. Them barrels get hot enough to burn skin with that many rounds........ and a lot of doubles have those little "splinter" European style fore stocks (a lot of steel and not a lot of wood) ......I have seen a lot of seared/burned fingers at such events in the past ....... not done too much these days .......

A LOT OF FUN :-)

Howdy Possum.

Be sure to pass out asbestos gloves to the BP shooters... ;)

My opinion.....No!

A stage such as that at a big Annual will be dominated by a proficient SG shooter and really cause a big ripple in scores.

For example: a good or 'really' good SG operator can gain a couple seconds on a stage over average SG shooters. Give that REALLY GOOD SG shooter 15-20 shots on a stage and watch the time separation start to range in the 15-20 seconds, or more, disparity.

Just my thoughts.

..........Widder

Ya. 8 is about the point of overheated barrels for my SG. I do have a leather sleeve that I keep in my cart for stages with 6+ SG loads

That bp gets hot!

But I like it when people change things up. But not saying that a lot of people wouldn't be upset. Especially gunfighters and bp shooters and ... :-)

Another thing to consider, I know a lot of folks that only carry 8 or 10 SG rounds on the body. Me, I carry 12. You may want to think about staging shells.

Howdy Possum.

Be sure to pass out asbestos gloves to the BP shooters... ;)

My opinion.....No!

A stage such as that at a big Annual will be dominated by a proficient SG shooter and really cause a big ripple in scores.

For example: a good or 'really' good SG operator can gain a couple seconds on a stage over average SG shooters. Give that REALLY GOOD SG shooter 15-20 shots on a stage and watch the time separation start to range in the 15-20 seconds, or more, disparity.

Just my thoughts.

..........Widder

Good points!

Hey Possum Skinner,

Try it at a monthly. Ask folks at the shooter meeting to let you know after the match what they thought.

Regards,

Allie

Sounds like fun

I bet it would be fun

I would just bet that at your next annual match that their would be a lot less out of town attendees.

You can play with the locals at monthly matches. (But not too often)

Keep it generic for annual matches.

A annual match that the shooters don't get what they expected and are tested with strange stages will ruin your attendance for several years.

Lots of movement and ALL the guns. If any thing I'd like to add more guns. Some people may like it though. Have you tried it at a monthly shoot. What was the outcome. You can't make us all happy all the time.

Ya. 8 is about the point of overheated barrels for my SG. I do have a leather sleeve that I keep in my cart for stages with 6+ SG loads

That bp gets hot!

But I like it when people change things up. But not saying that a lot of people wouldn't be upset. Especially gunfighters and bp shooters and ... :-)

Another thing to consider, I know a lot of folks that only carry 8 or 10 SG rounds on the body. Me, I carry 12. You may want to think about staging shells.

Jack,

Why do you think something like that upset gunfighters?

I think I'll do it as a side match...

Nope. I use a 6 shell slide on my gun belt. On stages with 6 or more I put shells in vest pockets.

CPK

Lots of fun for a side match. Not as a main match stage for an annual and above. For most people the shotgun is the slowest gun and the one they have the most problems loading. So, if you want happy shooters, don't make them do more of what they shoot the most poorly.

Possum, go for it! Since I shoot black in my double, I've always wanted to see if I could melt the solder on the rib! :P:ph34r:

Actually, sounds like fun......

I shoot BP... and have to say... why limit it only 10 shots? But pick a breezy day!!!

cleanstage.jpg

Several years ago at a Cowford Stampede Annual (Jacksonville Florida), we had a 12 shot shotgun stage. The match was based on Blazing Saddles.

Fancy Pants made a box with a plunger (like one to set off dynamite) and when you pushed the plunger down it made a loud farting sound. So the stage went like this.

As the shooter pushed the plunger down they said, "Beans Mr. Taggert?" and at the buzzer shot the first 6 shots. Then you had to put the shotgun down, pull up the plunger, push it back down and say, "More beans Mr. Taggert?", then shoot six more targets.

We ran 120 shooters through that stage and no one complained. It was a hoot. In fact that whole match was the most fun I ever had at a match.

Jack,

Why do you think something like that upset gunfighters?

I think I'll do it as a side match...

Yea, why would it upset GFers?

Personally, I would love a stage like that and I'm a GFer.

EDIT: in the post below this one by Colorado Coffinmaker, I think his suggestion does have merit in the shoot-n-scoot process. But remember, there will be those who are 'movement hindered' that don't mind alittle movement but for movement between each pair, those folks are gona hate you after that stage, especially if they are weak on their SG techniques.

just a thought!

..........Widder

What do ya'll think of having a shotgun only stage at an annual? Say around 10 shots.

Our club in Mesa Az has an all shotgun stage with from 10 to 20 rounds, an all pistol stage with a pistol reload, an all rifle stage with reloads as well as several 4 gun stages at our club annual match. Trophies are given for best score for shotgun, rifle and pistol only stages. They are fun stages.

I think the suggestion to try it in a monthly match first is a good one.

I think the application for the annual match should mention the fact that one of the stages will be an all -shotgun stage requiring X number of shots.

I am a blackpowder shooter and I would enjoy it.

P.S go for it I say! We have an all shotgun stage every few months at the Ten Horns.

I set up 8 targets in pairs with the last being a flyer .I put a make-up target for the missed

bird so they can still get a clean match.Everyone hoots and hollers when someone hits

the bird,it is a lot of fun IMHO.

I plan to do this stage at our TSRA match the 25th of May. :P;)

Great side match only. If you want to shoot all shotgun try skeet, trap or sporting clays.

I know if I tried that at our match they would be getting a rope.

This would likely cause a back up on the next stage as well.

Archived