SASS Wire Forum

Help! Cigarette Odor .....Suede Jacket

I bought the coolest suede jacket on Ebay. It's black and a beautiful turquoise color.... B Western style... Scully

I love it! I only had to pay $30 and that included shipping.

It is in "like new" condition BUT it REEKS of cigarette smoke. I can't wear it until I get the smell out.

Any suggestions?

okay.. hang it on a hanger with dryer sheets all over inside. then put it outside to air out. There are dry cleaners that will dry clean suede, but the lining still holds the odor.. It will take a long time.. but dryer sheets will work.. keep it away from you other clothing too. Good luck..

Cool idea Jakes,.. man you have all the darn brains.. and I have what? Oh, yeah a skinny body with a crazy personality.. lol.. and cool guns.. lol

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Oh, yeah a skinny body with a crazy personality.. lol.. and cool guns.. lol

Yep... nobody wants a skinny body with a crazy personality... with cool guns. Nope... nobody. Uhh...BTW... what are you doin' for the remainder of this weekend?

ts

Old fashioned remedy? Put it in a garment bag with a couple of cotton balls soaked in vanilla in the bottom.

It's only after you quit smoking that you realize how bad cigarettes smell.

It needs to be professionally cleaned. There are doezens of pollutants imbedded in the fibers that are very difficult to get out. Even after cleaning, it may take some time to be odor free.

I would have it dry cleaned first. If odor is still present then a few hours in an ozone chamber will finish the process. If there are any sass members in fire restoration in your area they have the equipment.

edg

Hi Complicated,

As a long-time eBay costume buyer, I've encountered this many times. Skirts, I just put in the washer and fluff on air in the dryer. Then resew the parts that were glued instead of sewn (hems).

I've had things cleaned. If they just stink, they come out fine. If they have dirty parts, not so much. The last time I did this was several years ago and cost $29. So, I avoid buying coats.

I have a wool and velvet Edwardian coat/dress that was very smoky smelling. I hung it in the air for a long time. The odor dissipated. If you have a protected area, hang it for a while.

Or, I haven't tried this; but would. Put it in a zip up pillowcase liner. Place in the dryer on air with a fabric softener sheet (loose, not in the bag with the jacket as it could stain the coat), preferably lavender (just because I love that aroma) for the minimum time. Take it out and sniff. Repeat as needed.

Regards,

Allie Mo

When in Doubt...refer to post #4. Easy Peasy Japaneesey. Just sayin'

Jake

I've never found that stuff to work worth squat. Yeah, it kinda masks an odor...for an hour or two. But that's about it.

We actually washed some of my wife's leather jackets that we got cheap, water based products are the best for cigarette smoke issues. If you do go the dry-clean route, you need to find a store that can do leathers, not all dry-cleaning fluids are leather friendly, such as perc,,,,,short for perclorethylene. Perc takes all the oils out and thus ruining leathers.

if you get adventurous and try washing it, hang dry it, or dry on very low temp.

If you aren't in a hurry and want to play it safe, hang it somewhere where it can "breathe",

never tried vinegar for odors, if you try that, spray a small area inside first and test for color change and odor removal. if it works, then make sure you spray evenly

pbbcc, my dad had a dry-cleaning business....

Suede is very tricky stuff. Good luck. I hope something works for you.

Hang it outside and get some Zorbex if they have it in your area. If not Febreeze will work almost as good but you have to air it out awhile. I bought a rain slicker from a pard and wherever he stored it had a very heavy musty smell. Got rid of it in a day or three by hanging outside and using Zorbex.

If all else fails, put some Big Macs and french fries in the pockets for a couple of days. It won't smell like smoke anymore guaranteed but ya might have some critters following' you around fer awhile!

Rye :P

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Spray it with skunk-masking scent.... mainly used by hard-core deer hunters.

Guaranteed... afterds... you won't EVEN think bout them other smells.

ts

oh yea, skunk scent, one of my buddies kids called me stinky for years!!!!!!!!!!

pb

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I've tried spraying the lining with Fabreeze.

I've hung it outside all day.

I've lined a plastic Rubbermaid container with kitty litter, then put down brown packing paper, then the coat, wrapped the coat in the paper and put more kitty litter on top.

It's better then when I first got it a week ago but it still stinks.

I'm scared to put vinegar on it. It "looks" perfect. I don't want to ruin it.

I think I'm going to try putting it in a garment bag with ______ at the bottom, not touching the coat.

What should I try? unbrewed coffee or cotton balls soaked in vanilla or something else?

My Mother was the daughter of a "country Doctor". Many times his patients died before he could help. If these bodies were not found quickly the odor could ruin a house.

He would place open saucers of vanilla around the house and the odor would be resolved in a few days.

We use it now in the case of "the dreaded dead mouse in the air ducts" syndrome.

Try it. Just don't let it contact the material or it will stain.

Archived