SASS Wire Forum

Best riding lawn mower

Howdy Pards, a quick question about riding lawn mowers before I lay out the cash. Due to my arthritis the push mower isn't an option anymore, so I'm looking at three brands to purchase. Craftsman (Sears), Ariens (Lowes), and Troy Built (also Lowes). I have about 3/4 an acre at home and 5 acres at church that I'll be cutting, so it will get a fairly good workout each season. My price range is under $1400 and it seems that I can find a 42 to 46 inch cut in all three brands with each having 17 to 19 hp engine. I'm mainly concerned about reliability, warranties, and repair, so I'm leaning towards the Craftsman. My son also agreed (a former mechanic) saying that availability of repair parts from sears would be much easier to obtain, rather than from Lowes or Home Depot. I also seem to have the option in all three brands between Briggs & Stratton or Koehler engines, so I would appreciate the wisdom of the Saloon.

Thanks...........BSD :)

My Husqvarna 46" with 21 HP Kohler has been a decent mower. The new ones have fabricated steel decks. I have about as much yard as you. Cut in about 40-45 minutes. If I am ambitious I am done cut and weed eat in an hour. They run $1500-1600 though, but I do think the fabricated deck is worth a look at. It's twice as heavy as the stamped decks and probably outlast any other part on the machine. If going hydrostat remember, they tend to use a bit of horespower up to run all that.

Back to your specifics:

Craftsman.

Kohler engine

The things that get the most abuse and damage is the mowing deck (and it's associated parts, particularly pulleys and blade spindles) and spindles for front wheels, along with any plastic doo-dads they come furnished with.

My only suggestion is to buy one with a 2 cylinder engine. In my opinion they run smoother and are more durable than single cylinder engines. I have a Simplicity that is 18 years old with a Briggs & Stratton V-Twin engine. Never uses oil between changes. One other thing. Get one with an oil filter.

Good luck,

Marlin

Changing the oil and keeping clean air filters as per recommendations will double the life of a mower regardless of who made the engine. Also, I seek out brands that have grease fittings on the jackshafts and to a lesser extent on wheels.

+1 on the 46" Craftsman, Kohler powered. Mine is going on 10 years now, and Martin Buckhorn is spot on regarding spin on filter! Power train will hold up well, but blades, tires and battery will need regular replacement regardless of brand.The sandy soil here eats up blades like a sand blaster! Area about the same for me. Anyting more, get a Brush Hog! :D

For the price range you have the Craftsman IMHO would be the best choice.

No real clue on current production. All I can say is that I own a Craftsman, bought it 19 years ago and have rode it hard, put it away wet, left it outdoors over the winters, and expect this weekend when I go out to fire it up that it will start with maybe having to put a new battery in it, again.

Before you dash out and buy a Craftsman just because it's a Craftsman, consider this:

Sears riding mowers are supplied by MTD, Husqvarna, Murray, Snapper and Simplicity. ("Craftsman" is a Sears house brand name only, and manufactures nothing).

The manufacturer can be determined by the first three digits of the full model number.

247.xxxxx = MTD ("Machine Tool and Die")
536.xxxxx = Murray
917.xxxxx = Husqvarna (formally American yard products, formally Electrolux)

etc..Though the majority are made by Husqvarna.

It's been my personal experience that ofttimes a manufacturer's product sold by Sears will carry a higher price than the equivalent model sold elsewhere, with the differences being only cosmetic. As an example, I once bought a small aircooled outboard motor from Costco. Sears sold the same motor with a different color housing as a Craftsman Gamefisher for twice the price.

Check 'em out! ;)

5 acres plus a week is a lot of wear and tear for a lower line mower ($1,400 investemntt) or are you talking used?

I mow about 2 1/2 acres and have a Craftsman 48" with a Kohler 26 hp 2 cyl. There are different styles eg. Garden mowers & garden tractors. The tractor style can have accesories added to the back. The problem I've had with craftsman IS getting parts. Takes forever and sometimes they are out of stock. If I were buying a new one...it would be a John Deere. I realize I mow a lot more grass than most people, But just my experience....you get what you pay for.

Before you dash out and buy a Craftsman just because it's a Craftsman, consider this:

Sears riding mowers are supplied by MTD, Husqvarna, Murray, Snapper and Simplicity. ("Craftsman" is a Sears house brand name only, and manufactures nothing).

The manufacturer can be determined by the first three digits of the full model number.

247.xxxxx = MTD ("Machine Tool and Die")

536.xxxxx = Murray

917.xxxxx = Husqvarna (formally American yard products, formally Electrolux)

etc..Though the majority are made by Husqvarna.

It's been my personal experience that ofttimes a manufacturer's product sold by Sears will carry a higher price than the equivalent model sold elsewhere, with the differences being only cosmetic. As an example, I once bought a small aircooled outboard motor from Costco. The same motor with a different color housing was sold as a Craftsman for twice the price.

Check 'em out! ;)

Good point

I do not believe that the Sears Customer Service is as good as it once was.

Just my opinion.

Changing the oil and keeping clean air filters as per recommendations will double the life of a mower regardless of who made the engine. Also, I seek out brands that have grease fittings on the jackshafts and to a lesser extent on wheels.

+1!

Zerk fittings are a must for long life - and use 'em!

Although that is a lot of area to be mowing, the machines you're considering should be up to the job IF it's lawn, and not waist-high weeds*; IF you keep oil fresh (+1 on the filter, too!); IF you keep it clean; and IF you sharpen blades occasionally and keep 'em balanced (replace as needed!). I'd also suggest adding an in-line fuel filter.

Also - Riding mower tires are usually tubeless. I've found it to be beneficial to install tubes and add "slime." It's a major pain to have to deal with a flat when you're ready to mow.

*I used to have a 2 1/2 acre lot, of which about 12,000 sq ft was lawn. I used an MTD hydrostatic drive riding mower to mow that AND the weeds on most of the rest of the property for about five years; the fella who bought the place used it for another two or three years before he finally killed it with poor maintenance and abuse.

My current rider is another MTD that I've had for about ten years, used mostly for an acre or so of weeds. Seat cover's been worn out for some time, but mechanically she's still quite sound.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

My only suggestion is to buy one with a 2 cylinder engine. In my opinion they run smoother and are more durable than single cylinder engines. I have a Simplicity that is 18 years old with a Briggs & Stratton V-Twin engine. Never uses oil between changes. One other thing. Get one with an oil filter.

Good luck,

Marlin

^This...

And get one with cast iron or steel cylinder sleeves... not just rings on raw aluminum.

ts

^This...

And get one with cast iron or steel cylinder sleeves... not just rings on raw aluminum.

ts

YESS!!!!!

Troy Bilt, Cub Cadet, Lawn Boy and others are all now owned by MTD, which IMHO, produces a pretty darn good mower for the money. As TS said, make sure you get a commercial grade (cast iron sleeve) engine, if you do this, Briggs makes as good an engine as anybody and parts are cheaper than Kohler, although Kohler makes a fine engine. I have a Cub Cadet, it does not have MTD on it anywhere since it is their Cadillac brand, and it is a very good mower. I have heard Husqvarna has cheapened their products up a lot, but have no personal experience. If the Sears is made by MTD, it should be a decent mower in that price range, and you can get MTD parts everywhere.

I mow about 2 1/2 acres and have a Craftsman 48" with a Kohler 26 hp 2 cyl. There are different styles eg. Garden mowers & garden tractors. The tractor style can have accesories added to the back. The problem I've had with craftsman IS getting parts. Takes forever and sometimes they are out of stock. If I were buying a new one...it would be a John Deere. I realize I mow a lot more grass than most people, But just my experience....you get what you pay for.

+++++++++++++

I'm on my second Craftsman tractor; the first one lasted 25 years, and is still running in a neighbor's yard. Parts availability was starting to fade, so I moved up. Number 2 is the Craftsman Professional line - twice the horsepower, hydrostatic transmission, better mowing deck, wider cut. I waited for a sale and got a heck of a deal - a $1999 machine for $1400, with a two bag catcher. Everything that has been saidf about maintenence is key; especially oil and filter changes. Change belts every Spring, and you will never have a failure mid-season. And clean the deck - mine has a wash-out fitting that allows me to hook a hose and run it with the blades engaged, cleaning all the grass off the underside and helping to reduce corrosion and deck failure. At this price point, it's hard to beat the Craftsman. Many of the big box stores sell "comparable" units from the same manufacturers - but they have been down-graded in materials or components to meet the retailer's desires and pricing. Watch out, and be sure you are comparing truly identical models. I still think that it's hard to beat Sears for parts, accessories, and service at a modest price.

LL

Guest jeweler jim

Whatever you get install a fuel shut off in the gas line and use it to shut down the machine. Have one that we keep out at the range for everyone to use to maintain the place and found that the alcohol played he77 with the carb. and now replacement parts were hard to come by. Also might remember to shut the ignition off after it dies so you don't end up with the dead battery the next time you go to start it (don't ask how I know about that one).

Alcohol = Bad

Lot's of great advice, I deeply appreciate the wisdom.

P.S. Matthew I'm looking for a new mower

BSD

Just my two cents worth. I agree wholeheartedly with Marlin about the twin cylinder. Especially with those 5 acres you are going to mow. The twins run so much better. I am no mower expert but between our house and cabin we have five tractors. Two Cub Cadets, One Husqvarna and two Craftsman.

Frazee

BSD.....I have a Cub Cadet. 26 hp hydrostatic tranny with a 54" cutting deck AND a grass bagger and snow thrower.

The price is out of you're range, but if the mower is going to get that much of a work out each season, you most likely want to the best.

After all...you do get what you pay for !

Mower deck is steel, not stamped and is very heavy but it cuts like butter through tall wet grass. Just don't try to pick up wet grass with the bagger. Most times, it'll clog !

If you service it regularly like the manual says, it will last you for years.

I am on my 3rd Cub Cadet now and still have the 1960 one and yes..it still runs !

Whatever you get install a fuel shut off in the gas line and use it to shut down the machine. Have one that we keep out at the range for everyone to use to maintain the place and found that the alcohol played he77 with the carb. and now replacement parts were hard to come by. Also might remember to shut the ignition off after it dies so you don't end up with the dead battery the next time you go to start it (don't ask how I know about that one).

Alcohol = Bad

Oh, boy...the stories I could tell about this one.....

Last year I rebuilt my snowblower carburetor in an unheated garage when it would not start - only to find the tiny float valve seat reduced to a putty-like consistency - due to ethanol in the gasoline.

This year - after a lot of unrelated problems - I got a lesson from my local Toro dealer. He buys racing fuel (no ethanol), and sells it in 1 gallon and 5 gallon containers. It's pricey, but he recommends using it as the last fill of the season before you put your machine away - no bad effects on rubber parts, no problem with "stale" fuel come next season. I now use it in my snowblower and my tractor.

LL

Yeah, ethanol-free in all my small engines, the big Kubota ZTR mower and my Honda Valkyrie. Around here, its $0.30-0.40 a gallon more expensive, so I don't use it all the time in my truck - too danged expensive.

I bought an Ariens from Home Depot 4 years ago after my 7 year old Craftsman's engine cracked.

The Ariens came with free blades for life which is a major plus in Florida since you have to change blades EVERY YEAR (no lie).

I have not had to do anything but watch the oil on the Ariens.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Here's my little mower

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h288/raptor357r/mower_zps3e265258.jpg

in action.

http://s67.photobucket.com/user/raptor357r/media/IMG_1464_zpsdf9bb126.mp4.html

It's a Ferris IS5100. Just a little (lot) out of your price range but it's really fun to mow again.

I pulled the car out of the garage, got the mower out, mowed 5.4 acres from 8-10" to 4", cleaned the mower then put it away. When i pulled the car back in it was 1 hour and 5 minutes after I had pulled it out. It cuts nice, have 4 wheel suspension, does well on diesel, and best of all............That thing is FAST!!!

JEL

Here's my little mower

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h288/raptor357r/mower_zps3e265258.jpg

in action.

http://s67.photobucket.com/user/raptor357r/media/IMG_1464_zpsdf9bb126.mp4.html

It's a Ferris IS5100. Just a little (lot) out of your price range but it's really fun to mow again.

I pulled the car out of the garage, got the mower out, mowed 5.4 acres from 8-10" to 4", cleaned the mower then put it away. When i pulled the car back in it was 1 hour and 5 minutes after I had pulled it out. It cuts nice, have 4 wheel suspension, does well on diesel, and best of all............That thing is FAST!!!

JEL

NASCAR Mower. :lol:

I can do my 1 acre in 1 hour and 15 minutes. 42" mower deck.

Did I mention free blades every year?

I wouldn't want to race John E' s mower but then again he shoots faster than me too. :lol: So whatdaya expect.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Helped my neighbor who works at Lowes load the Troybuilt riding mower onto his truck to get a refund .......Very poor quality deck and workmanship......He was sick of it breaking down every time he tried to mow, and had only had it for about 6 months of the cutting season. He now has the Husquavarna and it appears to be much stronger framed and better quality.....

Update. The church yard is going to be taken care of by a contract company, so it's out of the equation now, just my little 3/4 acre of the world. I did fail to mention that I would be interested at some point in accessories like a roto-tiller, snow blade, etc, and once again it appears the Craftsman has all those. Any opinions?

BSD

P.S. I did find a Cub Cadet at Tractor Supply for $1400, and this might be an option

Most of this has been stated so to summarize;

1) Make sure it has a pressurized lubrication system (Has a spin on oil filter).

2) Use synthetic motor oil in it, they only hold a a couple quarts or three so don't gripe about the cost, its worth the extra protection, these motors run wide open and get hot.

I recommend and use Amsoil http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/4-stroke/formula-4-stroke-10w-30-sae-30-small-engine-oil/

3) Keep the air filter clean and replace annually or every other year at least if not a dusty environment.

4) Use fuel treatment year round, again Amsoil makes a great product http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/fuel-additives/gasoline/quickshot/ that conditions ethanol fuel.

5) Use compressed air and a wand to clean off everything after each mowing and NOT Water, its much neater and doesn't promote rust where the water settles and collects. This helps lets the engine run cooler and make sure to clean off the rear axle if it is hydrostatic, some have fins and/or a cooling fan.

6) At the end of the seaon if it will be stored for more than 3 months use long term fuel stabilizer http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/fuel-additives/gasoline/gasoline-stabilizer/

7) Use a low amperage battery maintainer such as a Battery Tender Junior to keep the battery in tip top shape, it will last longer and always be ready to go.

I now have my parents John Deere that is 20 years old model LX178, it was replaced with the new model X310 42" deck, Power steering, power deck lift....

They never had any problems with the deere and I would expect none will happen to the new one.

I would stay away from the Home Depots, Lowes, Menards, Craftsmans, anything they sell in those stores as they are cheaply made to profit in those stores. The Deere is more money, but it will last. Parts are still availialbe as I just upgrade the old deck from 38" cut to a 48" cut.

Pay it now or you'll be paying later. I have 2.5 arces and was cutting with a 42" cut zero turn, takes about 4 hours. Time is money and 5 arces you will wish something closer to 60" of cut width.

I bought a 42" Craftsman mower in 1997 and had to continuously work on it until 2005 when I finally got disgusted and bought a 42" Huskee from Tractor Supply. The Huskee was a decent mower when I had a much smaller yard; I used to mow about 3/4 acre. We moved in 2007 and the yard at the new place is about 1-1/2 to 2 acres, which is a little too much for a 42" mower. I wound up buying a John Deere X320 and I have discovered the old saying is true: "Nothing runs like a Deere"; that said I still don't wanna race Mr. Nascar Mower. The Craftsman I had may have just been a lemon because my dad bough one of the bigger 25hp Craftsman shortly after I bought mine and it is still a good mower.

Archived