SASS Wire Forum

Misinformation and mistaken impressions..

I was picking up some stuff at the local feed store yesterday..The fellow that wheeled out my purchase says "Did you know you look kinda like Ted Nugent?" Which I took as a complement..He apparently had also noticed my NRA sticker on the back of my truck and said "Can I ask you a question?" I said sure.."I'm a Vietnam Vet" (At which point I thanked him for his service) "And when I was over there I had a captured AK-47 that I had to leave behind when I came home because they said they are illegal in the states, so why is it anyone can go down to the local gun store and buy a full-auto AR-15 right off the wall?"

HUH? :huh:

I replied that he was mistaken and that was utter nonsense, that only those with a class III license or law enforement could do that, and there was only one dealer in our area that I knew of that dealt in those kind of firearms..Also an AR-15 was a semi-auto, not full..I also went into a bit of detail about the class III license and the hoops one had to jump through in order to get one..He then asked "Well, why would anyone need those 30 round magazines?" I then replied that in most cases they didn't, but for various reasons (Some of which I detailed to him, but won't go into here) they COULD come in mighty handy, and that the problem wasn't with high-capacity mags anyhoo, it was with deranged people who would find a way to hurt others no matter what, guns or no guns..I also mentioned that there was a LOT of misinformation circulating right now about the subject..I hope some of what I told him managed to sink in, I think maybe it did.

But as I drove away I got to thinking about how successful a job the media, hollyweird, and the politicos are doing in the misinformation campaign to lead so many (Some of whom should know better-Like my friend at the feed store) to believe that anyone can go to their local gun store and buy a "machine gun"..I try hard to remain optimistic about our future as far as 2nd amendment rights go, but conversations like the one I had at the feed store makes me wonder..I've always believed our Vets, more than anyone else, would know the importance of protecting our right to bear arms..One thing's fer sure, the B.S. is being piled up deep and heavy right now, and to a certain degree it seems to be working.. :unsure:

WE are the NRA and WE must get the facts out....good job on doing that.

I also have an NRA sticker - and it's good to see that it was recognized and in this case turned out to be a good thing contrary to the folks who feel the boogey man may follow them home and steal their stuff :rolleyes:

GG~ :FlagAm:

Although, in the spirit of correcting "misinformation", there is no such thing as a "Class III License". You pay a one-time tax on each gun. There closest thing there is to a "Class III License" would be a "Type 3 SOT", which is the Federal Firearms License required to be in the business of selling NFA items.

I've had similar conversations with quite a few people in the last few months. I'm certain that in at least three or four instances I have enlightened and perhaps changed someone's opinion. The "Oh, I didn't know that!" response, in two of those interactions was really rewarding. There were several times that after a short conversation I came to the realization that the person I was interacting with was either too far into the indoctrinization process or was baiting me. For those people I've developed a radar/sonar that lets me move on and not waste my time or energy.

It is gratifying to see the reaction from someone who has been mislead when they get the truth and decide to find out for themselves instead of drinking the MSM koolade!!

One individual tracked me down to thank me for "breaking the spell". That's what she called it!

That is what we're up against!

Although, in the spirit of correcting "misinformation", there is no such thing as a "Class III License". You pay a one-time tax on each gun. There closest thing there is to a "Class III License" would be a "Type 3 SOT", which is the Federal Firearms License required to be in the business of selling NFA items.

https://www.silencershop.com/ffl-sot-class-3-form-3

could also be referred to a 'Class 3 SOT'

GG ~ :FlagAm:

That guy is wrong. It is not a "class 3 sot" it is a "type 3 sot".

Than many Class 3 holders are wrong to because that's how a lot of them refer to it....maybe it's a 45 Colt vs 45 Long Colt thing :rolleyes: Anyway, there are Class 3 dealers and I am sure that this is what Doc was referring too. So he wasn't necessarily wrong.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

That guy is wrong. It is not a "class 3 sot" it is a "type 3 sot".

I'd rather be a "class 3 sot"... or a "type 3 sot"...

Than just a plain, ol'.... SOT.

ts

I have an FFL but I don't have an NFA license or a Type 3 SOT or a Class 3 whatever you want to call it.But,I know several people that are licenced to sell full auto firearms.All but one refer to their's as a Class 3.I'm guessing it's because "John Q Public" will understand that term more than a Type 3 SOT.But I too have had to inform the drones that an AR15 is not a machine gun and go on to explain why it isn't.Even one of our bonehead US Senators refers to them as an Assault rifle.Straightened his azz out about his misuse of terminology too,and he claims he supports the 2nd and is a gun owner.The media has done a great job of head messing with the non-shooting public.

Citizens who watch the msm are bombarded with misinformation. Some of it is due to incompetent reporters who are incapable of doing research, and some of it is intentional. Wehave a difficult task to undertake.

Why is it that every anti-gun person is a vet, gun owner, and hunter? And, of course, fully supports the Second Amendment, but with "reasonable restrictions."

So they can claim some sort of gravitas on the subject. I believe on reasonable restrictions on shotguns. Generally modified or improved cylinder, although I prefer skeet in my favorite trap shotgun...

Citizens who watch the msm are bombarded with misinformation. Some of it is due to incompetent reporters who are incapable of doing research, and some of it is intentional. Wehave a difficult task to undertake.

I question whether it is truly incompetence. It just seems there is too much of a blatant agenda.

Thanks for correcting me on that one, didn't know that..I've always heard it referred to as a "class III license"..Although for the sake of keeping it simple, I think in any future conversations I may just refer to it as a "special license"..The Vet I was talking to was a nice guy, and I think was just trying to get an answer for something he didn't understand (and was misinformed on)..The problem is the majority of folks just turn on the MSM every night and take what they say as the gospel truth..People naturally want to believe what their being told is true..And a lot of reporters aren't out to present accurate facts, they just want to get the most sensationalistic slant they can on the story, ESPECIALLY when it comes to anything firearm-related.. Which I'm sure is also something the anti's know and count on..

It seems right now we have the closest thing to resembling state-controlled media than we have ever had before in our nation's history IMHO..

The first time my sister-in-law's hubby saw my gun was when we were all out together riding in my SUV looking at fall leaves..It kinda freaked him out at first, he was like "I'm just trying to understand why you think you need to carry a gun." But after a few more conversations between us he's starting to become more interested in firearms, even to the point of wanting to purchase a handgun and learn how to shoot safely!

So that's one more on our side! :D

I question whether it is truly incompetence. It just seems there is too much of a blatant agenda.

I think it's probably a combination of both, it's only natural that a reporter who hates guns is going to actually know very little about them..And add to that the mentality of "Get the story first, worry about the facts later" that seems to be the prevailing MO in the media now..In recent years I've seen a LOT of bungling from news reports in the scramble to be the "First with the scoop", and that's not just the firearm-related ones either.

UB is right, we have a tough row to hoe ahead of us.

The first time my sister-in-law's hubby saw my gun was when we were all out together riding in my SUV looking at fall leaves..It kinda freaked him out at first, he was like "I'm just trying to understand why you think you need to carry a gun." But after a few more conversations between us he's starting to become more interested in firearms, even to the point of wanting to purchase a handgun and learn how to shoot safely!

"For the same reason I have a fire extinguisher and first aid kit in my car. I pray I never need them, but when I do, I'll need them RIGHT NOW and nothing else will fill the bill."

As I said, some of it is definitely intentional. But I have talked to enough reporters in my time to now that many are very unaware of things outside their newsroom and are woefully inadequate when it comes to reasearching a story. Their grasp of American history is spotty at best and their knowledge of firearms comes from Hollywood mostly.They are easily influenced by the anti-gun stance of their respective news organizations and without any filters they just march along to the liberal drummer. The same can be said for the general public, especially in urban areas, who have no experience with guns.

The end result is the same of course; a passle of anti-gun folks.....but incompetence can be corrected with education and information properly presented in many cases. Those like Pelosi, the F word Senator, Obama et al will never submit to education or reason. No point in waisting our time on that. We need to swing the fence sitters over to our side and win this fight at the ballot box.

Doc, >Although for the sake of keeping it simple, I think in any future conversations I may just refer to it as a "special license".< This was my point. While I don't like the term "Class III", it's not a license. I don't have a license to own machine guns. I've got three machine guns, a short-barreled shotgun and a silenced pistol. I paid five 200-dollar taxes. If I want another one I will have to pay another 200-dollar tax. But it's not a license.

I think it's probably a combination of both, it's only natural that a reporter who hates guns is going to actually know very little about them..And add to that the mentality of "Get the story first, worry about the facts later" that seems to be the prevailing MO in the media now..In recent years I've seen a LOT of bungling from news reports in the scramble to be the "First with the scoop", and that's not just the firearm-related ones either.

UB is right, we have a tough row to hoe ahead of us.

As I said, some of it is definitely intentional. But I have talked to enough reporters in my time to now that many are very unaware of things outside their newsroom and are woefully inadequate when it comes to reasearching a story. Their grasp of American history is spotty at best and their knowledge of firearms comes from Hollywood mostly.They are easily influenced by the anti-gun stance of their respective news organizations and without any filters they just march along to the liberal drummer. The same can be said for the general public, especially in urban areas, who have no experience with guns.

The end result is the same of course; a passle of anti-gun folks.....but incompetence can be corrected with education and information properly presented in many cases. Those like Pelosi, the F word Senator, Obama et al will never submit to education or reason. No point in waisting our time on that. We need to swing the fence sitters over to our side and win this fight at the ballot box.

I understand the point you are both making. Perhaps I shouldn't say incompetence and instead say intellectual laziness, although I am sure there is enough incompetence to go around.

I was 21. That was 36 years ago. We were out on the creek, and met these two people in a canoe. They expressed great surprise and shock that I was wearing a pistol. Wanted to know if I was going to shoot alligators with it.

I tried to explain to them why I was wearing a gun, but I did not do a good job. I could not understand their confusion. Nowadays I would do better, I think, but back then it was just, "I'm out in the woods, so I have a gun". :huh: What don't you understand?

About 12 years ago my daughter brought her boyfriend to meet me, and we went to the Olive Garden. We are waiting for a table and he suggests we wait in the bar. I said, "I can't go in the bar".

He says, "What?" I can't go in the bar.

"Why can't you go in the bar?" I can't go in the bar.

"Why won't they let you in the bar?" (he's starting to get loud, now) I can't go in the bar.

Then the little lightbulb goes off over Hazel's head, and she smiles and says, "Yeah, he can't go in the bar".

He's really getting loud, now. "What have you done that they won't let you in the bar?!?!" You can't carry a gun in a bar in Florida.

"YOU'RE CARRYING A GUN???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?" Shut the hell up.

I understand the point you are both making. Perhaps I shouldn't say incompetence and instead say intellectual laziness, although I am sure there is enough incompetence to go around.

I've met some lazy reporters and some who were so incompetent they couldn't find their a** with both hands. :D

Doc, >Although for the sake of keeping it simple, I think in any future conversations I may just refer to it as a "special license".< This was my point. While I don't like the term "Class III", it's not a license. I don't have a license to own machine guns. I've got three machine guns, a short-barreled shotgun and a silenced pistol. I paid five 200-dollar taxes. If I want another one I will have to pay another 200-dollar tax. But it's not a license.

People will call it what they call it guy ...sounding like an OMV argument nitpick. Get over it.

GG

I just came from the ATF page and one of their FAQs for NFA firearms entries referred to Class 3 Dealers.

So there you have it. The ATF the regulating body of firearms refers to class 3 dealers.

Nothing left to argue about.

The fat lady has sung.

People will call it what they call it guy ...sounding like an OMV argument nitpick. Get over it.

GG

You can call your car an airplane, but that don't make it so.

However, feel free to call it whatever you wish. You have my permission to sound foolish to anyone that knows.

You can call your car an airplane, but that don't make it so.

However, feel free to call it whatever you wish. You have my permission to sound foolish to anyone that knows.

And you have my permission to be a nitpicking idiot to those that understand what a person is saying ;)

GG

I think Doc Cherokee did a good job at the feed store. I will also agree with those who want to refer to the tax as class 3. I have paid the tax a couple times and it did not feel like a TAX. You dont usually get finger printed and have a federal background check to pay a tax. All the machine gun dealers in our area are listed as class 3. Gun broker has a class 3 catagory. The ATF list it as class 3. Alpo, you should look at the glass half full and pat Doc on the back for a job well done. And the next time someone ask you to go into a bar, instead of repeting the same phrase over and over you might want to pull said boy friend aside and explain situation. You seem to be the one who had the problem relating a simple fact.

I think Doc Cherokee did a good job at the feed store. I will also agree with those who want to refer to the tax as class 3. I have paid the tax a couple times and it did not feel like a TAX. You dont usually get finger printed and have a federal background check to pay a tax. All the machine gun dealers in our area are listed as class 3. Gun broker has a class 3 catagory. The ATF list it as class 3. Alpo, you should look at the glass half full and pat Doc on the back for a job well done. And the next time someone ask you to go into a bar, instead of repeting the same phrase over and over you might want to pull said boy friend aside and explain situation. You seem to be the one who had the problem relating a simple fact.

I think he knew that the young man would pop off loudly and was hoping that the kid would drop it. Although a, "Look, I can't go into the bar. Drop the subject." might have been useful.

Perhaps a better tact in such a situation would be to say "You have to go through a class III dealer"..That should clarify things to the person asking the question as well as being a more accurate description as to what one has to do to get a full-auto..

Something else I was told once about legal possession of a full-auto..And if I'm wrong, please set me straight- And that was if someone owns a full-auto firearm, it gives federal LEOs the right to come into your home, anytime day or night, and check out your gun safe and firearms, with no warrant or reason..True or false?

Archived