SASS Wire Forum

Post War Messerschmitt

Subdeacon Joe

In 1968, a friend showed me his Messerschmitt in the Garage. It was Yellow and he called it "Yellow Submarine". Kinda cool seeing them again after all these years.

Jake

It was late one night in the deserted streets of little Bad Tolz in suthren Bavaria.

I was drunk.

This was not a particularly unusual occurence.

But what was unusual was the strange noise I heard behind me. Kind of a whiny weird noise. I turned to see one of those things approaching out of the darkness. Into the light of a street lamp and back into the darkness, and then again as it got closer. BZZZZZZ pup pup pup bbzzzzzz.

I was pretty sure it was an alien invasion and I was about to have a close encounter. I sprinted across the cobblestones as best I could. By the way, wet cobblestones are difficult to sprint across, even when sober. I tried to make myself small up against the ancient buildings. It zipped by me within a few deet as it came into the yellow golow of the streetlight once more.

\Inside I could make out two non-aliens, one with a beard holding an immense beer stein. In a flash it was gone. I managed to get home safe. The next day I tried to tell my buddies about the UDO (Unidentified Driving Object) I had seen. Nobody believed me of course. It was several months before I saw a pic of one in a magazine and I relaized I wasn't crazy.

Well, as crazy as I had thought anyway.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Looks like it is chain-driven... that pic of the rear showin' leakin' oil on the floor.

ts

In 1959 I drove in a 6-hour race at Hockenheim for micro cars 600cc or less. One of our club members was Peter Borgward, of the car company with the same name. He supplied three Lloyd Alexanders for the race. The class of the race was the Messerschmidt TG-500 Tiger. This was a 4-wheel version with a 500cc engine You can see it here: http://microcarmuseum.com/tour/messerschmitt-tiger-red2.html. One of them recently sold at auction in excess of $300k.

In college I drove a BMW isetta. http://microcarmuseum.com/tour/isetta-1960.html. Fun car for around town. They're getting a bit pricey now, with good condition examples selling in excess of $10k. My classmates were always picking it up and depositing it in strange places. Really liked that car.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

I never have liked that name...

It sounds naturally sayin'... "I was out in the yard... and stepped into a great big pile of Messerschmitt.

ts

Along these lines, check this place out:

http://microcarmuseum.com/

Amazing! And likely an idea whose time has come around again. Most commuters could get by just fine with vehicles like those. Heck, I'm looking at trying to find something small and inexpensive to feed.

The problem with teeny cars is they have to share the road with much bigger things. Much bigger.

The problem with teeny cars is they have to share the road with much bigger things. Much bigger.

You would just have to learn to Dodge before you got Rammed!

That aside - for a lot of urban commuting on surface streets, it really wouldn't matter. If you have to do any freeway driving, yeah, that would be a problem.

Amazing! And likely an idea whose time has come around again. Most commuters could get by just fine with vehicles like those. Heck, I'm looking at trying to find something small and inexpensive to feed.

'Bout as practical as a barb wire jock strap.....and nearly as uncomfortable.

Archived