SASS Wire Forum

State Level Reps Are Just as Important

I want to re-emphasize the importance of your state representatives lest we overlook our work at home.

In many cases, they are in fact more important than those in Washington. Why? Not only do they determine your state’s level of gun friendliness or hostility, it is your state governments that will put significant pressure on the federal government to act one way or the other. If a majority of the states oppose or refuse to accept proposed dictates from Washington, it is fairly certain the proposed federal law will not pass or be effective if it is passed.

We’ve already seen evidence of this as several states or elements within those states have taken the principled stand that they will refuse to enforce laws that infringe on the Second Amendment. Now imagine if 30 or more states held to that same principle. How would Washington respond? What could or would they do? They could certainly threaten to withhold federal funding but nobody ever said this fight would not be without pain. Is the risk of reduced federal funding greater than the risk incurred by our forefathers who put their lives, fortunes and sacred honor on the line for our republic? I think not.

Yes, there will most likely be fights over the Supremacy Clause vs the 10th Amendment but so be it...bring it on! I will eagerly support that fight rather than be expected to surrender my principles or my state’s sovereignty.

I realize the constant effort to apply heat to your representatives at times seems unproductive but keep in mind it’s the frequency of great numbers expressing strong resolve that impresses politicians rather than the eloquent prose of our letters and emails. Why? Those great numbers translate directly into a great number of votes!

Yes, it’s drudgery at times but we must be heard loudly, often, in great numbers, in as many ways as possible and with unrelenting resolve. The momentum must grow among the 80-100 million gun owners throughout America.

Bottom Line: Steel your nerve, remain resolute and soldier on my friends.

I couldn't agree more, Colonel. If we lose our rights due to gun control at the individual state level then it will only be a matter of time before we lose our gun rights at the federal level seeing the federal government derives it's power from the states. This is the strategy the "anti's" have resorted to seeing they lost their first attempt at the federal (US Senate) level. Biden's Task Force and Bloomberg's "Mayors Against Guns" are spending millions to attack and coerce states whose Senators (like NH's Senator Kelley Ayotte) voted against gun controls. Ads are being run hourly/daily "trashing" her trying to force her into submission the next time gun control bills are brought up for a vote.

You are darn right. We had a lot of party switching in GA and people forgot about it. So alot of RINO's in GA. GA is not as conservatively progressive as lets say Texas. Very few good ideas come from our general assembly. I wish some one would primary against a lot of out RINO's.

Texas is not a "progressive" state!!! :( :( To use that word in conjunction with Texas is sacrilege. That's what the damned communists called themselves in this country in the early twentieth century. A while back Hillary Clinton was asked by a reporter if she was a communist and she replied, "I'd rather think of myself as a progressive."

Archived