SASS Wire Forum

Cowboys vs. Zombies

The movie World War Z opens on June 21.

I've been wanting to write / shoot a Cowboy Zombie match for years. The match director (Badlands Bob) finally relented and on June 22, The Cherokee Cowboys will be hosting a "Cowboys vs. Zombies" match at the Cherokee Gun Club.

Back Story
Few people talk about Deadwood after the fire of September 26, 1879. Nobody tells the stories of the cause of the fire, or how it came to consume more than 300 buildings and homes. Most residents who will talk only do so in hushed tones, late at night when the ghosts of their conscious are most active.
What most people don’t know, or don’t want to know is that that fire was set. It was set to put a great wrong, right. None of the residents of that time in the city’s history know how the dead came to rise from their graves and walk the earth. Some say it was a curse by the Lakota who claimed the land for their own. Some say it was due to a flash that was seen several nights earlier and was taken for The Northern Lights. Many believe that Hell itself was full and that The Great Satan had visited the Walking Dead plague on Deadwood for the sins and lawlessness of the city. But for whatever reason, the dead did rise and boy howdy, were they ever hungry.
At first, people tried to reason with them, but it was soon found out that if one of them bit a living person, they would soon die and become one of “them”. Townspeople found out that the only way to stop the dead was to destroy their brains. The survivors stayed alive by living by a “code”. A set of rules that kept them alive during the dark times as Deadwood became...

Undeadwoodlogo.jpg

Who is going to come and help make the world safe for the living?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buwahahaha!!!!!!!

That's the sound that a kracken makes! Sounds like it's gonna be a fun match.....looking forward to it.

We'll be shooting Captain Bill Burt's stages this month. Lots of steel and cool scenarios. Bring your running boots.

I like these guest writers. It gives my brain a rest and the creativity still flows.

Maybe July, it will be time for another Krazy Kajun match?

You know I am constantly asking myself "why doesn't someone start an organized ZOMBIE action shooting sport". They could use SASS as a model, hell they could even copy our rule book and then gear the sport toward modern tactical rimfire weapons. The organization could register aliases, issue ZOMBIE hunter badges ect. There are just so many fun .22 caliber tacticool guns out their now just begging for an organized regularly scheduled game to play.

A sport like CAS that that focuses more on fun and "spirit of the game" that uses these cheap .22 caliber weapons could create a bridge between video games/airsoft and real world shooting sports for younger shooters as well as creating a more fun based sport for folks (like me) who like modern stuff almost as much and the 19 century weapons. Most of these .22s come fully dressed right out of the box with rails ect and they can use cheaper airsoft grade optics ect. They could mimic our classes, maybe have a classic soldier class where no optics are allowed then have a "Mall Ninja" class with laser sights ect.

The guns are there, Zombie stuff is hotter than a firecracker now (thanks to Walking Dead) and SASS has proven that fun shooting sports work. I think someone could make some money off of this, I just wish I had time to organize something like this myself.

I'm going to Illinois on June 3, if I can get all my business, and repairs done on my machinery, I'll be there. Never know, it maybe my extra firepower that will save Deadwood.

Sounds great, and with Rolan Krap knowledge of Zombies, it should be the match of the century. MT

" know I am constantly asking myself "why doesn't someone start an organized ZOMBIE action shooting sport"."

They do

I thought of attending this just to see how the targets are made. They fall to the ground when hit in the head only.

But I cant make the date. Knobcreek KY is the next match.

http://www.zombieshootingcompetition.com/

We'll be shooting Captain Bill Burt's stages this month. Lots of steel and cool scenarios. Bring your running boots.

I like these guest writers. It gives my brain a rest and the creativity still flows.

Maybe July, it will be time for another Krazy Kajun match?

Maybe so....let me see what I can cook up besides some gumbo :blink:

Evil Bob needs a rest!

That ain't all Evil Bob needs.. :lol:

I am up for any kind of fun, but someone PLEASE explain this zombie craze?

THANK YOU! So glad to know I'm not the only shaking their head in utter confusion over this.

Whether shooting at bad guys, indians, or zombies, how could it be bad.

Sounds like fun :lol:

Waimea

:FlagAm:

THANK YOU! So glad to know I'm not the only shaking their head in utter confusion over this.

If you are shaking your head now just wait until after you try and shoot Rolan's zombie stages...he has one twisted mind!!

I've read Rolan's stages and they are western.....well, their in a western town.....it's set in the 1870's.......ok, it's sort of western.

And there's no rats or whiskey bottles to be found.

Dan and Matt,

It isn't a matter of "IF", it is a matter of "When". We must be prepared. Even the Department of Homeland security agrees that we must prepare for the Zombie Apocalypse.

Another way to look at it came from a post on "Cowboys vs. Zombies over on the SIG Forum:

Originally posted by snoris:
Somehow, I can already tell that Tony Romo will find a way to throw a late interception to give the Zombies a win...

Dan and Matt,

It isn't a matter of "IF", it is a matter of "When". We must be prepared. Even the Department of Homeland security agrees that we must prepare for the Zombie Apocalypse.

Another way to look at it came from a post on "Cowboys vs. Zombies over on the SIG Forum:

Originally posted by snoris:

Somehow, I can already tell that Tony Romo will find a way to throw a late interception to give the Zombies a win...

You can't make stuff like this up. That Tony Romo comment really hit home. I think I will trot over to the DHS site and see what they are doing and what precautions and preparations I should consider.

Thanks! Keep on keepin' on being informative!

I just finished watching "Alien Showdown: The Day the Old West Stood Still" (2013) I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. It will suck up 90 minutes of your life that you just can't get back!

I view the zombie craze as simply representation of oppressive evil forces whose intent aren't in your best interests, and so dealing with zombies as fantasy is actually good practice. Plus I love a good zombie movie. "Return Of The Dead" is my all time favorite. Rolan, glad you finally chewed (pun intended) Evil Bob's ear enough that he relented to your similar evilness - I'm looking forward to it!

Bucky

Thanks Bucky. BTW, we were "rain free" for 5 out of 6 stages yesterday, and when it did rain it was very light.

Everyone shooting the match should also watch "Zombieland" (filmed in Georgia, BTW).

Rolan I like it.

We have our resident Vampire, Drake Robie, he does have a habit of sucking the blood from the town drunks. Which of course makes him late for Halloween every year due to his hang over. But he does show up the first Sunday in November. The lines for the match are usually "Die you EVIL Bloodsucker!"

Don't tell anyone, but I have it on good authority that this stage from our shoot on June 16 was inspired by zombies.

The match director told me that the targets represent zombie brains as they are clay targets on poles.

For me it's about scary movies......I love em'.... Now all this Zombie ammo, guns etc.........well ya' got me there!? I did hear about a fella' in FL........nevermind....lol

Dan, why Yes there will be an award.

Reason I ask,I know I can't win a thing shooting.

Look out makeup department! Let's see what kinda costume I can come up with.

Of course some of our shooters are so old they could just roll outta bed and....never mind.

:o

Hope the moderators don't give me any "warning points" for that remark.

Archived