SASS Wire Forum

putting a time frame to old pictures anyone

need to see if someone can put a date or at least a time frame to these pictures? They are of my wifes family, but we are not sure the time frame to put with them

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s244/timhernandez/SASS/JimWinsleyBrittonMI_nw.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s244/timhernandez/SASS/Winsleyboy-BrittonMichcopy_nw.jpg

Ist one is holding a trapdoor Springfield. gthey were made and issued to troops from 1883 to 1898.

Between the trapdoor the one guy has and the hats the other two are wearing, I'm thinking Spanish American War National Guard troops.

Between the trapdoor the one guy has and the hats the other two are wearing, I'm thinking Spanish American War National Guard troops.

thanks guys, will pass this along to my wife, she was stumped as was I

Could be regular army. And I agree with the time frame.

Do you have the guys full name? Have you tried searching for his service record?

I could go with National Guard. I had a relative in regular army in Cuba for the SA War and his uniform was of a much higher quality.

In the first photo, the soldier is wearing what appears to be an 1895 forage cap and looks to be holding a Springfield "Trapdoor" rifle with a Buffington rear sight that didn't come into use until 1884. Both photos show the soldiers wearing Mills belts with the large metal bucks, which didn't come into use until around 1885 or so. If the time frame is later than 1892, which might be the case if the forage cap is any guide, they are probably, as has been stated above, Militia or NG troops as the regular army would have been armed with Krags by then. I don't think they can be dated better than that as a lot of equipment and clothing was mixed over those years.

The first photo shows a 73 Springfield. The 89 had a different bayonet but that doesn't mean the pic was post 89. He is wearing an 1887 pattern sack coat, and his kepi appears to be 1895.

Many state troops were armed with 73 and 89 Springfields quite awhile after the Regular Army went to Krags.

AS far as uniform quality that's tricky. Some militia units outfitted themselves rather splendidly, better than regular troops especially if the commander was an affluent individual. This was also common during previous wars.

http://www.spanamwar.com/trapdoor.htm

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

putting a time frame to old pictures anyone

The first picture was taken at 2:37pm... the second picture was taken at 11:21am.

ts

The individual photo appears to be a state militia uniform, a Trapdoor Springfield and a 1881 or 1884 bayonet. State militia uniforms often had trousers outside of boots.

The two soldiers appear to be a later photo. The ammo belts and campaign hats would be Span-Am war, but the two-band Trapdoors look older. My guess is militia or NG doing occupation of Cuba.

I'd bet even money that the second photo was taken during the Cuban occupation (good call, Tom). Pretty sure the other is of the same general era.

The first picture was taken at 2:37pm... the second picture was taken at 11:21am.

ts

Eastern or Central time?

If it was Zulu wouldn't they be carrying Martini's?

Only if they was British. And if they were Bond fans, it would be Vodka Martinis.

Archived