SASS Wire Forum

1897 Extractor Problem

Lead Foot Luke

The extractor on the right side of the bolt occasionally strikes the back side of the shell and prevents the bolt from closing, instead of sliding against the outside edge of the rim.

This is my wife's backup '97. I don't know its history, but this old Winchester obviously had a hard life.

I assume the problem is caused by worn parts allwoing the right extractor to hinge in too far. It doesn't happen every time, so I wouldn't rule out wear/slop between the bolt rails and it's mating surface in the reciever/

Is there a simple fix that I am overlooking? I am reasonably handy and willing to do some work myself. (I'm not a gunsmith and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so if it requires any welding or machining I will have to take it to a professional).

I wasn't clear in my first post.

The shell goes all the way into the chamber with no problem and the bolt slides forward "almost" all the way.

The bolt won't close the last 1/4" because the point of the right extractor hits hard on the back of the rim instead of snapping on the edge.

Archived