SASS Wire Forum

.22 SA Revolver for Practice?

Judge Lewis

I am new to CAS and really appreciate the patience and the sharing of knowledge that I have found here. I have a couple of Ruger Single Six pistols and wonder if it is a waste of time to practice with them or if some of the skills that I acquire practicing with them will translate over to my SASS shooting? Thanks for any advice.

Right now, it's harder in most places to get 22 ammo than centerfire lead ammo.

The gun weight, trigger pulls, recoil amount all will be a little different with Single Sixs. Most folks get more out of dry firing their match revolvers than live firing 22s. If you have a backyard or indoor range capability to shoot .22 but not centerfire, then that might be a good reason to live fire with 22s. But, your mileage may vary.

Good luck, GJ

I bought a pair to practice gunfighter with but gave up on gunfighter it did help with my weak hand shooting . It is getting hard to buy 22 ammo in this part of the world so I just use my match guns when I practice at least I can reload for them . Woodfox

Yes, practice with a .22...assuming you can get ammo. Much of the skill you acquire will be transferrable. When your times start to bottom out with the .22, start using the centerfire. Most .22s will require more force to cock the hammer, and may have heavier trigger pulls. You will probably feel like you have have been working out with heavy weights and then switched to light ones. You will have strengthened muscles as well as muscle memory.

I have a pair of 22 Single Action Rugers that except for a little longer grip frame are set up exactly like my 32s., same guy did the action work on all my pistols. I shoot gunfighter and they fit my hand. When 22 ammo was available and much cheaper; I shot them a lot. Early on, I learned to shoot with 22s even semi-autos and rifles. It is all about form, sight picture, and trigger control.

We probably live fire too much. You can learn a lot by dry firing and practicing transitions. Watch the front sight in dry fire. People ask how do you know you hit the target. You will by watching the front sight on the target you select. You still need to live fire. The shotgun is best learned dry firing. When you can load one consistently with your eyes closed - you are beginning to catch on. I still dry fire a lot especially before major matches.

J-Bar has a good point.

I see three parts to being a better shooter (and need to work on them all).

- reliable ammo to shoot out of reliable guns

- basic shooting skills: consistent grips, accuracy, basic handling

- learning to shoot stages per the rules given (SASS and stage writer's intent)

The .22s will help somewhat with the second and a lot with the third points. Doing a lot of this and not paying attention to the first point means that whatever gains you make with the rimfires cannot carry over to actual match performance.

You will know when to switch to your match guns. Smart practice does not necessarily mean firing a lot of rounds in practice. The Evil Roy DVDs show you can get a lot of practice in without firing endless quantities of ammo.

I know one shooter that became a state and regional overall winner by building a 22 range in his garage. He shot many tens of thousands of rounds on that garage range with 22 rifle and pistol. Before he started he had his favorite gunsmith attempt to replicate the actions of his main match pistols and rifle. It was not easy to do and certainly not perfect. It did allow him to work on transitions, speed and accuracy. He did his practice with shotgun on an outdoor range. After he got real fast and accurate he moved his shooting outdoors with his main match guns.

I know of one national champion who competes with .32 Single Sixes but practises with .22 Single Sixes. My wife is now doing the same with identical equipment. It helps reduce the time I spend at the loading bench. However, just before a big match we only shoot our match guns.

I am sure he won't mind me stating his name. Long Swede practiced quite a bit with 22s due to cost and reloading.

It is well worth it.

If you want to get good with pistols get Brian Enos' Book - Practical Shooting

and Breaking the Shot and of course Evil Roy's dvds and watch what Long Hunter has on this website.

When you start it is all about form, form and form. Then front sight, front sight, and front sight.

Be smooth do not work on fast. Smooth is fast. Be smooth and the speed will just naturally be there.

Take a class - you can save months if not years and not learn the bad habits.

I have taken classes from some of the best - Lead Dispencer the late China Camp; Nutn Graceful and several others. Every time I shoot with a top shooter I take a class - I watch how they do things.

Howdy,

There is a book called 'Marine Sniper' which has a lot of information about shooting

and how to practice for competition.

Yes there isn't one dot of info about SASS in that book but IF you read it

most of the techniques can transfer and you might learn a little about shooting

your rifle.

Im not sure if it is available new but I find copies at the used bookstore and

buy them to loan out. If you loan the book out don't expect it back. ;(

Best

CR

Archived