SASS Wire Forum

Anybody Heard of Arminus firearms?

Judge Lewis

I was at my local gun shop and he had a single action .357 with the trademark "Arminus" made by a German company H Weimraugh. Anyone heard of these? What are they worth? Thanks for any info.

Made by Weihrauch. Been imported for a number of years. Fairly stong gun,you'll notice the frame is a bit beefy compared to the colts or Ubertis. They made them in 44 Mag, as well. Not very expensive $250-300 or so. Don't know if they still make them.

Thanks for the link Billy. They are asking $400 for it, way over priced. Guess I will pass on this one.

Can't say about the .357, but I had a .22 that was an adequate paper weight. Not much good beyond that.

Don't listen to 40 Rod, he's an Old Fuddy Duddy. Then again, I ain't never had a .22 by them. I do have an Arminus in .44 Mag. I have about 5-6 of these German Guns in .357 and .44 Mag. J.P. Sauer and Sohn in Western Germany made Colt Clones for many years. These guns are built like Tanks. Precision made and they work just like a Colt with 4 clicks. Western Marshall was the name they used. Also Hy Hunter in Los Angeles, or Hollywood imported them too. I have a .44 Mag. Also E.I.G. in Miami FL. imported them, all parts inter-change between Models. I've done it just to see if it works.

$400 is on the High end, but guns aren't getting cheaper each year. I would put up my German guns against my 3 screw Rugers any day. They are very robust guns and you can't hurt them. I bought most of mine for $150-$200, 20-25 years ago. I sold my J.P.Sauer twice for $400 and bought it back both times for that much money. Never regretted it at all. I think you should buy it and shoot it. You'll learn to Love it. You'll have to get used to showing the Loading Table guy to watch you Load it, because you can't see the cartridges in the cylinder when loaded. Load 1, skip 1, load 4, cock and drop on an empty chamber.

Jake

P.S. I won End of Trail 2004 Top Modern using a Virginian Dragoon in .44 Mag and a .44 Mag by H Weihrauch as a second gun. Don't let anybody tell you they ain't good guns.

Thanks for the info Big Jake. Maybe I'll take a second look and make an offer.

Interesting. I wasn't aware that they made any quality guns. the only ones I ever saw back in the 70s were in need of an upgrade to qualify for Saturday night special status.

Howdy:

Weihrauch is the manufacturer of EAA's Bounty Hunter. Weihrach makes air gun primarily now (for Beman and Benjamin I believe). Very good air guns. The Bounty Hunter (whose just one of many name for an 1873 clone imported by several companies) is a reasonabley sturdy hand gun. Slightly larger than the Colt, and it has the recessed cartridge heads so you can't see the empty chamber. However, the conveniently mark the cylinder with their name and you can easily spot the empty if you use this as a guide when loading. They are quite sturdy, polish and blueing on the ones I have is outstanding. Has a funky clink when cocking due to the springs but that is easily overlooked methinks. All-in-all, they go bang everytime I pull the trigger and hit the target when I aim/point correctly and have shot a bazillion rounds near as I can tell (I bought them third hand) - I had to replace the safety device (like the Ruger) - it was plumb wore out - you had to shoot a bundle of rounds to wear out that piece for sure. All-in-all, again, I would not pay more than $350 as that is about the going price - and if I was on a limited budget, I would buy them - good price, good quality, what's not to like? I don't need four letters on my revolvers and pay $1K more. :-)

STL Suomi

Thanks for all the good advice. Ended up paying $350 for it. Took it out and shot it, I think I'm gonna like it!

Well if you have heard of Mercedes, BMW, Porche, Sig Saur, Mauser, Walther, etc. you are familiar with German Engineering and production standards

I worked at a gun store in the 1960's while I was going to college. A LOT of German guns from the 1950s, 60s and early 70s were junk. LIke a lot of "brand" names quality and models varied. Arminus back in the "good" old days stood for cheap. We used to say the only thing worse than an Arminus is a Rosco. The main thing is to carefully look over what you are buying. "Made in Germany" alone isn't enough information.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/10920925/revolvers-for-sale/rosco-arms-co.-germany-.22cal.-revolver-vestpocket-6shot-double-action

Here's one from my safe. A genuine Burgo. I bought this before there were any modern gun restrictions and it has no paperwork. No prize or model of precision craftsmanship, but it does hold seven .32 S&W Longs.

P5081546_zps823c7580.jpg

P5081544_zpse0cd6f56.jpg

Archived