SASS Wire Forum

Is a gun cart a must have or just something to make life a bit easier?

Bugsbunnyshooter

Do you have or use a gun cart?

I have seen some ways to make cheap ones and pics of fancy ones.

It's a must have long term. You will need some type of "cart" even if it's super basic. You need somewhere to put your long guns when you aren't using them. If there is a gun rack on the stage you are on, it may be full. Or it may not be there at all. And when you change stages, how are you going to move all that suff?

You might manage a few matches with a shoulder bag and carrying your long guns but you'll quickly see you need a cart. So will some other shooter in your posse who will take pity on you and offer you some space for your rifle and shotgun on theirs. :)

Start cheap and basic or ask around at your first few matches. There's always someone who knows someone that has an old cart for sale.

I would say it is both. A must have and makes life easier, if you get a well designed one. Poorly designed you will hate every minute of pushing it.

In general you want to have your guns stored muzzle up. This is for safety reasons.

At a match look at the different designs.

I have seen them as basic as a milk crate and dolly strapped together.

The Ruged Gear carts are a relatively cheap way to get a gun cart.

I have a buddy who has gotten started shooting, he bought one of the two gun carts and loves it. I have a Off the Wall Cart and it is great but heavy compared to the ruged gear cart.

I built 3 carts before I bought one made professionaly. One was built no nails routered joints, glued and pegged.

I can't say as I would make another one.

If it is not a must have it is so close to being a must have that .001 feeler gauge would not fit between the cart and must have.

There are many creative inexpensive ways to come up with a cart. You can also spend more making one than you could probably purchase a simple cart for. Talk to people at matches about their carts and also what they would change or improvements they would like in their next cart

It depends on where you shoot. The clubs I shoot with still have rifle racks and shooting benches, so you don't really need a cart. In fact. I have never owned a gun cart and have been shooting this game for 25 years or so. It just looked like another big chunk of junk to haul around and until recently I didn't really have somewhere to store it. Having said that, at some clubs where there are no rifle racks, a cart is pretty much a must.

Lately, I have been thinking that it might be nice to have a cart with a seat so I could sit down between stages, but I have still not decided to make one. I don't think I could bring myself to buy one, too many other things I would rather spend my money on...like more guns!

It is not a must but over 99% of shooters use them, so a trend is established. I currently have cornered the market on gun carts having three we use, not counting my son's cart. You may make your gun cart as cheap or as fancy as you want. There are a few things to remember tho IMHO. Bigger tires are better. Three wheels are better. Solid tires are better. Have room for at least an extra long gun. Have room for all the ammo you will need. Have room for everything else you will need (tools, parts, ice chest, etc.).

Pretty much a must have, but not required. You could also shoot this game with only on pistol, taking misses or reloading. But to get the full CAS esperience, you need two. Same with a cart IMO.

That said, I know of folks who only shoot at one small club that has racks and tables that never bring a cart and do just fine.

Mileage always varies.

Does make it easier. And that then makes it more fun.

Just think how much junk you lug along.

This is what my wife :wub: and I use.

http://www.ruggedgear.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=214/category_id=180/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd214.htm

LG

Think about the ammo you need to bring, the snacks, a rag or two, loading block, maybe a few tools, etc., etc. I built one cheaply from pine boards and used stroller wheels. Makes life a lot easier. I went to shoots and actually took pictures of different carts, then used the ideas that I liked. Having one sure makes life a lot easier....

I have never seen any rule that says you need a gun cart, though I suppose local club regs might mandate one. However...and in life there is always a "however"...I think you will find the convenience of being able to haul your rifle and shotgun, ammo, water/soft drinks (an absolute necessity in hot weather!), and assorted stuff, plus having a place to sit between trips to the firing line, and a place to which you can attach an umbrella if the sun is hot, will make having a gun cart of some sort about as much of a necessity as anything I can think of. Now a gun cart can be made from the chasis of a golf cart, or ready-made or make one yourself. I have one made from a golf cart chasis, which will hold only my rifle and shotgun. I have to pack ammo in a set of saddlebags slung over my shoulder. I reserve this for when I'm too lazy to disassemble and load up my larger cart, which has the seat, and storage compartments referred to above.

I initially used a Forged Camp-Site Gun Stand available from Dixie Gun Works

This is a 3-foot long iron upright that you stick into the ground and it has an “S” shaped hook attached laterally at the top for resting 2 long guns in opposite directions.

Worked well but after a while I just went ahead and purchased a regular guncart.

~:Wylie:~

Funny how topics run in bunches; I think there are maybe three threads going right now on carts.

This is yet another (good) question from a new/prospective shooter that can be answered by saying "Go to a couple of local matches and...."

At my local club we didn't have long gun racks on the range so it would be rather inconvenient to hand-carry your rifle and shotgun between the stages. What I found as a new shooter as I was gathering up my gear that there are usually folks on the posse who have space on their carts. They are usually happy to let you share space.

It is NOT necessary to spend $500 on a gun cart. You can improvise a functional cart from lots of different platforms; I noticed a folding dolly in a hardware store recently that I thought would make a good starter cart. You certainly don't need one right away. Even if you want one of your own, I would still suggest that the shooter attend a few local matches and get a good idea of how the carts are used and what different designs and ideas are out there.

Before you buy or build, check out the local clubs where you may end up shooting. Some ranges have rules about gun carts, such as prohibiting horizontal carts or mandating muzzle-up carts. It would be a drag to shell out the money or time for a cart just to find out it's not allowed.

Bugs: Happened upon a used Rugged Gear cart for cheap.

The next match, after 8 stages in the high desert heat, easily pushing the cart back to the car with only a couple of fingers made it PRICELESS!

BTW: Midway's Do-All Gun Buggy Folding 3-Wheel Shooting Cart Nylon Green will probably serve well.

Everything I look at on midway website is on back order. Now I can saw I lived through the big gun cart shortage.

Cry one time and get the best.

Rugged Gear.

Trust me-------You'll 'grow' into it.

You want muzzle-up carry, BTW.

RG's customer service is great, if you need parts later on down the road.

Midway's, China made cart.....Good luck with parts for that.

LG

I don't have a gun cart. I usually pack my day's shooting supplies, ammo, tools, drinking water, etc.

in some old style Army leather saddlebags over my shoulder. Shotgun is in a sliploop sling over

the shoulder, pistols holstered on my belt, and rifle carried in hand (action open, muzzle up).

This arrangement has worked pretty well for over 14 years of CAS, over the entire western US at my home

range as well as others in other states, including WR and EOT.

I am now age 70 and the years have begun to tell, so, depending on how I am feeling at the time, if a gun cart is available to rent, and the particular range has a lot of walking from stage to stage, I will generally hire one for the shoot.

Ya just gotta do what ya gotta do. One thing though, packing yer stuff on your person will help

you fugure out what you REALLY need to go shooting and what you don't. I expect too many folks

haul waay too much "stuff" around that they don't really need.

Bp

In the beginning, I loaded my long guns into a buddy's cart, until I made my own gun cart. Then, I bought an Evil Roy Gun Cart -- it breaks down easily, and is put back together easily. When I traded in my full-sized station wagon, the Evil Roy Cart was a God-send, because it would fit into the trunk of my car.

So, if you design your own, be sure to think about how it breaks down and fits in your vehicle!

In response to your topic summary: Gun carts equate to shoes. Both make life a little easier.

As mentioned above, I too use a small hand cart w/ an old dynamite box to cart around my stuff. I wanted something that'd fit in the trunk of a 30mpg car not in the bed of my 12 mpg pickup. You're doing it right though, research, figure out what you want, really want, than go that route.

Good luck.

Jim

The first year that Granny One Shot and I shot CAS we shot at 2 local clubs and no one had a cart. There were plenty of racks to store our long guns muzzle up close to the firing line. The next year we traveled out of province to a larger shoot where everyone had a cart, except us. I packed my long guns and ammo for two over 12 stages and no place to store the long guns on several stages. My butt was dragging big time by the end of the shoot.

When I got back home one of the first things I did was look around the garage found some plywood and started cutting. In a couple evenings I had a cart based on what we had seen, that we used for the next 6 years. The cost was about 30.00 for the wheels, the rest was all material I had at home. The cart was functional and did everything we needed.

This winter we purchased a new Toyota 4 runner and I built a new cart only because the first one was to long to put in the back. This one is made of 3/4 inch Oak and considerably heavier but it fits. However after looking and reading about the rugged gear carts on line I'm thinking I'll be saving my pennies for one.

Grey Beard

A "must have, or make life a little easier......."

Just go to a couple of shoots and you'll see. Some 80,000+ (more or less) SASS members can't be wrong.

Or you could just schlep your gear around. I think that "Tensing Norgay" is still available as a SASS alias.

EC

Climbing up Everest would be easy compared to carrying a lot of gear in the good ole Texas heat and humidity

LOL

Cowboys did not have gun carts. But then cowboys did not normally need to carry a minimum of four guns at a time. So in our sport some form of cart is essential.

They did have a horse with a rifle scabbard and even a shotgun Scabbard on the other side in some cases. :P

Frenchy

A MUST HAVE.....unless ya have a horse!

Rye :D

Funny how topics run in bunches; I think there are maybe three threads going right now on carts.

This is yet another (good) question from a new/prospective shooter that can be answered by saying "Go to a couple of local matches and...."

At my local club we didn't have long gun racks on the range so it would be rather inconvenient to hand-carry your rifle and shotgun between the stages. What I found as a new shooter as I was gathering up my gear that there are usually folks on the posse who have space on their carts. They are usually happy to let you share space.

It is NOT necessary to spend $500 on a gun cart. You can improvise a functional cart from lots of different platforms; I noticed a folding dolly in a hardware store recently that I thought would make a good starter cart. You certainly don't need one right away. Even if you want one of your own, I would still suggest that the shooter attend a few local matches and get a good idea of how the carts are used and what different designs and ideas are out there.

Before you buy or build, check out the local clubs where you may end up shooting. Some ranges have rules about gun carts, such as prohibiting horizontal carts or mandating muzzle-up carts. It would be a drag to shell out the money or time for a cart just to find out it's not allowed.

Egzackery......as with most things SASS.....don't feel the need to run out and get everything BEFORE you start. Attend, learn, borrow and then with all that info get what suits you best.

I've seen the wheelbarrow! Throw a horse blanket in the bottom and your good!

Also , shooter Cain uses saddle bags for ammo, and a carpet bag for his shotgun, wich he breaks down every stage and puts in. Has his pistols holstered and carries his riffle.

It is whatever you feel like doing...how much work you want to do!

Remember: wheelbarrows tip over

carrying your ammo, + shotgun, + riffle can plumb tucker you out

Nothing wrong with a well used guncart.....I wouldn't be suprised if someone doesn't offer you one of their oldies.

( in fact, send me a pm with your #....I may have one of Evil Roy style box 4 gun cart for you tonight...all you'd have to do is pay shipping! :) )

Hi Bugsbunny Shooter,

It is a must have. I highly recommend an umbrella too. If the range doesn't have shade/rain structures it will come in handy. I can also sit on mine. It has room for three guns and the last slot holds my umbrella and brass picking equipment or another gun.

Regards,

Allie Mo

( in fact, send me a pm with your #....I may have one of Evil Roy style box 4 gun cart for you tonight...all you'd have to do is pay shipping! :) )

And this is exactly why this is the greatest game....with the greatest people....in the entire shootong world! :):rolleyes::FlagAm:

EC

I drive a small honda acord to a lot of matches so i built a box with wheels. Then a rack that will accomodate 4 long guns.

Box goes in trunk and rack with rifles and shoguns still in it goes on top of the laid down backseat from the rear passenger door.

Rack slides into box. VIOLIN! You got a gun cart!

This takes care of 2 shooters and all the guns you need plus cold weather gear umbrella ammo and a screwdriver.

It can be done and is a fine arts and crafts project that requires careful thought and measuring but is cheap to make.

Easy assembly and beats heck outta hauling a horse around.

And I still get 30 to 35 mpg loaded up.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

It's not really a "must have"... but with "minimum wage" bein' what it is... a gun-bearer on a two-day shoot can get expensive.

ts

Archived