SASS Wire Forum

NC Teen Expelled for Shotgun In Truck - Happy Ending

Subdeacon Joe

http://news.yahoo.com/n-c-high-school-student-arrested-accidentally-leaving-201830213.html

David "Cole" Withrow has been expelled and received a felony charge for
accidentally leaving his shotgun in his truck at school and calling his
mother to come pick it up when he realized the mistake.

In a matter of days, North Carolina high school student David "Cole" Withrow's situation has changed dramatically. For one, Liberty University announced Thursday that it will extend a scholarship to Withrow after he was suspended and arrested for accidentally leaving a shotgun in his pick-up truck parked in the school lot.

Withrow, a high school senior
and Eagle Scout, had been skeet shooting the day before the incident
and inadvertently neglected to store his firearm. Once he realized his
error, he immediately locked the gun in his truck and went inside the
school to call his mom so she could come pick it up.

But a Princeton High School
official overhead Withrow's phone call to his mother and the school
promptly called the police. After the gun was discovered in his truck,
he was arrested and charged with a felony. The school is not allowing
Withrow to return to school of the rest of the year, however, an
attorney for Johnston County Schools on Thursday said he will still be
allowed to graduate on time by attending an alternative school, WTVD-TV reports.

Now, Liberty University is stepping in to make sure that the high school senior will be able to continue on to college.

"In reaction to the gun control debate in America, Liberty University
recently loosened - not strengthened - its concealed weapons policy on
campus, and is now providing a scholarship to a North Carolina high
school student who was arrested for leaving a shotgun in his pick-up
truck in the school parking lot," the school announced in a press
release provided to TheBlaze Thursday.

OK, if I were his parent, I'd smack him up-side the head for a fool stunt like forgetting his shotgun was in his truck. You NEVER forget where you put a firearm. But other than that, he tried to make the situation right, and the school went bat-guano-crazy in its over reaction.

Times sure have changed. Back when I was in high school in the mid-late 70's you could leave your shotgun in the rear window rack of your pickup if you were going dove hunting right after school and no one thought much about it. We even had a nice fenced in parking lot with a gate guard at school so you didn't even worry about it gettin' stole. I guess it was technically illegal if you were under 18, but that was the way it was at the time around here. I guess everybody figured if you were old enough to drive you were old enough to carry a long gun around.

JHC :unsure:

Happy ending???

He has recieved a felony charge which is going to cost his family money to hire a good defense lawyer and, if convicted, faces a mandatory prison term, loss of his civil rights including to vote and ever own a firearm again, and greatly diminished career opportunites due to the conviction.

This young man represents a hugh threat to public education and the Liberal agenda. He is a member of a anti-gay organization (Boy Scouts), believes in the right to bear and keep arms, is a gun owner, a active shooter and as a honor role student to smart to believe the propaganda being taught in shcools.

He must, and will, be made a example of and broken to bits for the Liberal reeducation of our children to succeed.

Might could be that with all the publicity the charges may be dropped.

ADDED:

Looks like it's going viral: http://www.theglobaldispatch.com/free-cole-movement-going-viral-in-support-of-cole-withrow-student-arrested-for-having-gun-in-truck-15502/

And read some of the comments here: http://www.change.org/petitions/school-board-allow-david-cole-withrow-graduate-with-his-2013-class-at-princeton-2

This just might be the straw that breaks the back of "zero tolerance."

Especially when his treatment is contrasted with: http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/9278548/

If convicted of this felony. He can't own a gun. Along with other 'doors' that will be forever closed to him.

He must be the 1% of kids that doesn't have a cell phone.

His intent was to do the right-thing. NOW, he's going to court on a life changing felony charge, WTH!

LG

Hope it works out for him - and no, if I was his dad I wouldn't smack him upside the head. Just a bad situation to a young man who is a good man and an example of what our society needs.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Archived