SASS Wire Forum

replacing a toilet. any suggestions?

Hoss

I have to replace a toilet in my house. Lowes has about a million diffrent models. from about $140 to several hundred. They all claim to be the best thing since well... the flush toilet :) All I really know is I want white, elongated bowl. Any reccomendations?

(I figured as full of it as some of you guys are, this woud have to be a good place to get recomendations! )

Depends on if you want a round or oval bowel and hoe high you want the seat.

Toto is the brand you want. Incredibly efficient. Conserves water better than any other. Does not require bladders or air chambers to flush. The design of the bowl insures positive flushing with gravity as the only force.

Well made. Tall height. Elongated bowls. Best there is.

Toto !

I put in a Kohler.

1.6 gal per flush and flushes in about 3 seconds.

Whatever brand you settle on, make it a disabilities height unit. You'll love it!! :D:D:D

True. Even if you're completely ambulatory.

+1 on the oval or elongated bowl. You'd reeeeally not like the round one. ;)

Also - measure the distance from the wall to the flange bolts. On older homes this may be a variable, and you want to be sure to get one that'll fit!

Had several replaced when I had some remodeling done a while back, my requirement was elongated bowl, contractor asked if the taller height one was ok, as it was cheapest, I said sure fine whatever. I have come to like the taller ones a lot and will get them if replacing another stool. The seats that came on them are flimsy crap however, need to replace those with something more solid.

+1 on the tall ones. also get the one piece unit innstead of separate tank and bowl - eliminates a leak point. I also found a seat/lid that does a slow close so I don't need to bend over (bad back) to carefully close the lid.

Hardpan is right about measuring. The set back distance is not always the same. A friend just replaced one in an older home and had to return the first one because it would not line up because distance from back to drain hole was too long.

I reckon I'm not the only one here who has ever dug an outhouse hole, or moved an outhouse when the hole got full.

Dumping the cold ashes from a wood stove down the hole can help with the smell.

Don't buy used

Actually...... :rolleyes:

Some cities have businesses that do sell "used house parts." Sort of like an "auto dismantler" (junkyard) for old homes. They'll typically sell everything from windowcases to sinks to... toilets!

Now, when the "low-flow" models* became mandatory, some people I knew actually DID buy older model used toilets. Those things will FLUSH when you hit the lever! Ever had to double-flush one of the newer models?

By the way, my good ol' Uncle Frankie, who used to do a lot of building and remodeling, pointed something out to me: The newer "low flow" toilets are a two-stage flush design. If you depress the lever and walk away, it'll do the expected low-flow flush. For a larger evacuation, you can depress the lever and hold it down 'til it finishes, and it will do a more thorough job, much like the old-fashioned, full-flow models.

I asked him why that wasn't clearly written in the instructions with the new one I'd just installed, and he said "they're not allowed to disclose that unless asked" due to some environmental regulations or such. Not verified, but wouldn't be surprised.

*Read recently that with the increased use of "low-flow" toilets, in a certain west coast city the sanitation department would have to send out water trucks late at night to dump water into the sewers - all the conservation efforts such as "low-flow" toilets wouldn't put enough water into the system to adequately "flush" the pipes to the sewer plants~! ^_^

For anyone who's ever been to San Francisco, there's an underground plant just a block or so from Pier 39!

+1 on the oval or elongated bowl. You'd reeeeally not like the round one. ;)

Also - measure the distance from the wall to the flange bolts. On older homes this may be a variable, and you want to be sure to get one that'll fit!

Yup - helps to keep the willie from hittin' the backside of the front toilet seat lip :lol:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Whatever you do, get the "Slow Close" toilet lids. So much easier when it comes to the management's demand to put the seat down.

I reckon I'm not the only one here who has ever dug an outhouse hole, or moved an outhouse when the hole got full.

What makes you think so. I learned most of what I know about women from the lingerie sections of Mongomery Ward Catalogs

Noz, notice it says 'not the only one'.

Most places look at cha funny if'n ya talk about the house out back, much less about digging the hole or moving the shack. But I figured some of you all would remember.

Heck, it probably ain't even legal any more most places.

Noz, notice it says 'not the only one'.

Most places look at cha funny if'n ya talk about the house out back, much less about digging the hole or moving the shack. But I figured some of you all would remember.

Heck, it probably ain't even legal any more most places.

Y'all stick to your outhouses - I'll embrace this latest technology with fanfare ;)

GG ~ :D

The height and shape of the toilet is going to be a personal choice for you; go sit on some and see what you like best.

I would recommend buying the wax ring with a rubber ring cast into it a little more expensive but they seem to work better in my opinion.

Nope. I'm a Chick Sales veteran, too. :P

Thanks for the input. I did get the tall model American Standard. Claimed one could flush a bucket of golfballs down it. We'll see!

I swap out about a dozen toilets a year. My favorite is the Kohler Highline, it's ADA height(16.5") and has a dual flush system. Push the handle quickly and it uses about half the tank of water for liquids and hold it down for a full flush for solids. Very seldom does one need to hold the handle down for the full flush. I believe the Highline comes with the slow close seat. The taller toilets have a better radius for the stuff to clear the toilet and very seldom plug up, if it plugs up you need to eat more fiber. The Highline also has a self rinsing feature which is supposed to leave less residue in the bowl, TMI. If you buy a cheap toilet, that's exactly what you get.

Grizzly Dave, the only outhouse I had a part of digging was done with about 30# of explosives drilled the hole about 10 feet deep and packed the hole full. It left a nice little niche in the busted Colorado rock, which was dug out with ease.

One would think the Grizzly, Gator, Crock, Great White,

Badger, or Wolverine would be a better name for a device made to swallow stuff. Why such fufu names from the manufacturers.

LL'

When I remodeled my bathroom years ago, I was faced with a choice between American Standard and Toto. I chose Toto and feel like it was the better choice. It replaced and American Standard.

Working on the concept for my "Wild West Ranch" . . . . I saw the need for an energy efficient, low water usage, sanitary facility.

Foolproof design . . . . . long track record of satisfactory usage.

http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/DrBurkholter/media/Efficientsanataryfacility.jpg.html?sort=3&o=12

I have to replace a toilet in my house. Lowes has about a million diffrent models. from about $140 to several hundred. They all claim to be the best thing since well... the flush toilet :) All I really know is I want white, elongated bowl. Any reccomendations?

(I figured as full of it as some of you guys are, this woud have to be a good place to get recomendations! )

I was going to suggest to check with your municipality. We received ours for free from the city. They were giving away water saving toilets during one of our severe drought years. All you had to do was bring in the old and they would give you the new on the spot. You had to have it installed.

Archived