SASS Wire Forum

1st Casualty of the GA State

Widder, SASS #59054

My '97.

I don't know much about 97's but its ejection capabilities appears to have given up the ghost.

I think I've dryfired it to death.

I've got others but this is one of my favorites and was hopin to use it in the side match.

ANYHOW, the right side extractor appears to be good. The ejector is good.

I've been told that the symptoms appear to be the left side extractor is the problem.

If there is any good smiths coming to GA and would like to check it out, please give me a holler.

I know Roughneck Rod will be there and he's got a good reputation with guns. Maybe he knows somemajic to work on the 97.

Thanks

..........Widder

Widder, if the tail of the left extractor is broken off the extractor will have to be replaced. Better is the coil spring modification that goes under the stub of the tail. The extractor is made of spring steel so the "tail" is the spring that makes it work.

Yup. All three parts to the extraction/ejection "system" have to work together. If you can tug on the right side extractor and it moves with good resistance, it's OK. The ejector spring (thru the side) must be in one piece. The left side extractor also must be whole. Usually the "tail" breaks and a new extractor has to be fit. DO NOT buy a cheap Chinese extractor or one from Numrich. In the past, the best left extractor has come from The Cowboys and Indian shop in Kaliforenia. Their left extractor would be my suggestion. It will need to be fit to the gun. If your not comfortable to DIY, have a good smithy do the job.

Coffinmaker

PS: Hope to see you at GoA this year!!

I betcha Johnny Meadows could overnight you one of his wonderful SKBs ;)

Kulshan: thanks for the info.

Philly: Those SKB's have a great reputation coming from Johnny.

But, you might have to overnight me some $$$$ before I can get one ... :)

Howdy CC: yep, hope to see you also at GOA. I plan to be there.

..........Widder

On a heavily dry fired 97 sometimes the ejector that’s the little spring thing on the left side of the frame that protrudes into the action secured by a single screw. Anyway lots of dry firing can cause that to be whole and look good but in fact it’s bent back enough that it not longer ejects empties or they just piddle out. That’s happened to my dry fire 97 twice so I know it happens but it is more likely the left extractor has gone to 97 heaven. My shotguns have C&I parts and they wear like diamonds.

Widder, if'n you'd 86 that 97 and get you an 86 lever shotgun you wouldn't have that blamed ejector problem....that is unless ya get a cramp in yore leverin' arm :lol:

Archived