SASS Wire Forum

Some thoughts on Posse organization

Yusta B.

I've shot several times with Manasas Jack as PM & I think he has some good ideas for a smooth running shoot. He starts before the first stage asking for volunters to man posse duties at the START of each stage. Same people start as spotters, ULTO, score keeper, brass picker & TO at the beginning of each stage. There is no/little time wasted at the start of the stages to round up posse workers. People are relieved as shooters finish the stage just like normal. Just seems like a smooth efficient way to run the posse.

That's about right...Some one is the head man or woman...And the rest of us just help...Some might take the same job becuase it is in the shade or a nice place to sit...Others move around and help where they can...If your eyes are good they ask you count and spot...If not we hope you can still hear...Even I try to spot and count when asked.... Helps me learn the game better...Some day it might work....

Texas Lizard

every one should work, i'm there to have fun too.

some people think they pay some money and get a free ride to do nothing.

it's always the same people doing everything

I've been involved in Little League, high school booster clubs, horse show clubs, and many other like organizations. In most you will find that 20% of the people do 80% of the work. I have found CAS to be somewhat better, at least on posse duties. I know some are physically challenged and have a hard time picking up brass or even counting, but they could man the ULT. I've seen shooters who are physically able, but hardly do squat. maybe count, but grouse about it. Its kind of tempting to not count for them.....

Also, support your local club by attending work days. One of the funnest days I've had in a long time was helping to build a jailhouse at our range. there was about 5 of us, and we just had a good time all day long.

PM= Project Manager? :P Way too organized pard. Project managers are the critters with green eye shades I work with every day. I have enough of them during the week. I shoot for fun.

That said, I must be in a really, really fortunate part of the country. Maybe we all apply a lot of peer pressure, but I don't know anybody who doesn't jump in to do posse work.

PS, I know what a Posse Marshall is. ;)

Archived