SASS Wire Forum

Best way to insure guns.

I'm redoing my homeowner's insurance and wanted to add a $25,000 dollar policy to cover the replacement value of the gun if stolen. The quote I received for my house and everything was great but the policy for the gun seemed really high. He ended up quoting me 4 dollars per $100 which on only $10,000 would be 400 dollars a year. And 10,000 don't even cover the Sass guns. And second question I have is. Say a nice 73 rifle cost 1000 dollars stock. Then we put another 3, 4, or even 5 hundered more dollars into them. How do we do that with the insurance company? My policy now would only give me about 2500 dollars if all my guns where taken or lost do to fire or something crazy.

Any ideas? Is the NRA the best way to go?

Thanks for any ideas.

Deacon Stone

I have USAA homeowners ins.

I have a separate rider for guns (nothing that is collection rated).

My premium was cheap (don't remember exactly) BUT, because I added it onto my homeowners policy, I received a discount on my homeowners policy that just about equaled the premium for the gun ins.

Might want to check em out.

..........Widder

Hide 'em well.

I have a friend in Townsend who built a walk in vault along the entire length of his kitchen, creating a block room that sticks out of the upwind side of his house about six feet for half the length of the narrow end of the house. On the outside, it's sided and just looks like an offset exterior wall that was designed that way. Inside I'd guess it's about five feet deep by sixteen feet wide. It's concrete or block on all six sides with a light duty vault door from a remodel job at some state office in Helena. In the kitchen, there's a floor to ceiling hutch beside the fridge with wheels underneath and about a quarter inch clearance top & bottom. Roll it out, and there's the vault door behind it. If you didn't know the thing moved, it would never dawn on you to even try it.

I looked at a house for sale one time that had a simular hidden room. the door was behind paneling in the den that was held in place by magnets. I was pretty surprised that the homeowner showed it to me on my first (and only) visit. If I had a hidden room I doubt I would tell anybody about it, certainly not a stranger looking at the house the first time!

I dont worry so much about my guns in my safe being stolen, as much as I do out of my car or hotel room. Fire is another story. My safe has a 1 hour fire rating, but I've seen guns that were in a safe during a fire. Wasnt pretty.

I've got the 2500 NRA insurance. I doubt I'll add to it, I typically only insure those things that i either can live without, or can afford to replace.

Armed forces insurance covers mine unscheduled in az. They also have scheduled coverage that covers breakage and loss ubexpllained circumstances like you left it on the range abd it was gone when you got back. Alll honoably dischareged vets and active/researve/guard eligible

I too have the free $2500 NRA insurance policy plus a separate $10,000, Lockton Risk Services administers both policies. I pay $189 per year. It does not cover rust - scopes and has a $100 deductible. I just wrote a gunsmith a deposit check for $2400 plus I have another batch of firearms needing repairs. Lockton reimbursed me all ready for $2300. I estimate my total bill will exceed $9000 due to Super Storm Sandy damage.

Theft I can pretty well manage as above. Sometimes appearance and expectation is everything. I use the "Who is gonna expect ???" rule.

Fire really is infrequent, and like most folks, if that horrible day comes, guns are gonna be far down the list of stuff not replaceable for anything like reasonable cost. Even after a fairly aggressive weeding, the value of my tools would scare me if I tried to replace em. Things ya don't give a thought to, like taps and dies ya bought 20 years ago, a battered air wrench, etc..... In the end, I find we can't REALLY cover ourselves for every contingency at costs we want to stomach. Let's see, insure half of what I have, and can't afford to do other things? Nope.

Buy the best gun safe you can, and forget the insurance. :)

Gun safes bolted to the floor will usually keep guns from being stolen but I have seen what a fire does to guns, even in safes with an hour protection. Guns are worthless after the fire. We have good gun safes but because of fire ,insure them also. With the NRA insurance, from Lockton, you can insure all your non shooter collector guns fairly inexpensively and your shooters for a bit more. I would never recommend anyone not insure their guns, it would be just like not insuring your home.

put some big dog bowels outside the back door,beware of dog sign on fence,and a big chain tied to a tree, in my part of town drive by shootings are when you go out and shoot first. with 5 Little dogs that all weight under 10# nobody comes in the yard cause they can't see all the dogs and how big.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

put some big dog bowels outside the back door,beware of dog sign on fence,and a big chain tied to a tree, in my part of town drive by shootings are when you go out and shoot first. with 5 Little dogs that all weight under 10# nobody comes in the yard cause they can't see all the dogs and how big.

That ought to do it... but killin' somebody's big dog... just to get them bowels... that could pose a whole nuther problem.

But... it would be effective as hell. Crook sees a big pile of dog guts layin' out in your yard... might say to hisself... "DAM! That fella who lives here is plumb crazy!"

'Course... buzzards would love the home-owner... and the fella would have to have a steady supply of big dogs ever coupla weeks or so. Cruel... but effective.

ts

Archived