SASS Wire Forum

Worlds Smallest Stop-Motion Film

Subdeacon Joe

It was an IBM project. Likely no cost to us.

And who knows what the ability to do things like that will lead to?

As a dabbler of science and chemistry I liked it - and yup - who knows what the next realm of nano-technology this could lead too.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

This kind of research is used to determine the limits of manufacturing electronics. The gate channels of modern transistors/fets (Inside all computer processors, memory devices, DSPs, etc) are only a few atoms wide at this point. The smaller the gates, the faster the device can change state, resulting in faster and smaller, electronics, computers, phones, etc, that use less and less power.

While the "Movie" was a little lame, the technology to do this is pretty impressive. This is the kind of research that once took this country to the moon. We need to do more and more of research here in the USA if we as a country ever hope to regain prosperity. I can assure you, it is being done in China!

Dogmeat Dad

This kind of research is used to determine the limits of manufacturing electronics. The gate channels of modern transistors/fets (Inside all computer processors, memory devices, DSPs, etc) are only a few atoms wide at this point. The smaller the gates, the faster the device can change state, resulting in faster and smaller, electronics, computers, phones, etc, that use less and less power.

While the "Movie" was a little lame, the technology to do this is pretty impressive. This is the kind of research that once took this country to the moon. We need to do more and more of research here in the USA if we as a country ever hope to regain prosperity. I can assure you, it is being done in China!

Dogmeat Dad

"The wonder of the dancing bear is not how well it dances, but that it dances at all."

I really didn't notice the content of the movie that much, just gobsmacked that they could do it.

Dogmeat Dad

At least this film was made in the USA; http://blog.physicsworld.com/2013/05/01/animated-film-made-with-single-atoms/

of course, who knows what technology we sell to the Chinese...plenty I bet.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Archived