SASS Wire Forum

Is there a good book on how best open a new Live-Fire range

Dungannon Gunner

Can anyone recommend a book that provides guidelines on building ,and running firing sports ranges? Just one of the many things that I ponder about from time to time. This one will just not go away. Just how difficult and expensive to open a modern day outdoor shooting range? How much acreage is needed? Once it is zoned and approve for Gun-range use can most states call back their license without cause?

I have been a business manager for over 35 years and am considering retirement within 5 years. Logistics wise I am considering Northeast Georgia or North WEST NC

Thanks for any comments.

Dungannon Gunner

Years ago I had thoughts of doing just that. I bought the NRA Range Manual, a big three ring binder full of info. It wasn't cheap though, somewhere over 200 bucks as best I can remember. But if you proceed with the project, I expect it would be more than well worth it.

I have been a NRA Range Technical Team member for years, their range manual and range symposium are very well done and worth the time if you are serious. If you would like more information send me a PM

Fortunately for Georgia, we have the range protection act. Once the range is approved, it cannot be shut down because of noise violations or zoned out of existence Getting it zoned in the first place may take some doing depending on where you want to put it. How much acreage you'll need will depend on what kind of shotgun sports you want to do. If you want a sporting clays range, skeet, trap, rifle range, pistol bays etc, count on at least 100 acres. All of your shotgun shot must stay on your property or your asking for trouble. The more land the better. In order for it to be self sustaining, you'll need some kind of shooting sport every weekend. The insurance alone can run you about $8,000 a year.

Archived